Fountain pens

2»

Comments

• Kerguelen
    Kerguelen Posts: 248
    Amongst others I tried the Faber e-motion, very pretty but didn't like the balance when posted (cap on the top of the pen, for you normal people), and with the cap off it's a bit too short, like a TWSBI Mini. Finally settled on a Pelikan Souveran M800 in green.

4012700986535_FP_S-550.jpg

Don't ask me how much it cost.

I've only just stopped crying.
  • Some of the Montblanc skeleton pens are quite pretty:

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/32796188@N02/popular-interesting/

I suspect they're not cheap though.

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • Some of the Montblanc skeleton pens are quite pretty:

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/32796188@N02/popular-interesting/

I suspect they're not cheap though.

PP

What do you mean 'not cheap'. This one is a snip at a mere £20,000
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MONTBLANC-ATELIERS-PRIVES-TEXAS-SKELETON-FP-1-10-/200570869400#vi-content

and only £120 postage from the states.

Should really pop it in the Bargains thread.
  • In case anyone is remotely interested I ended up getting one of these

Lamy Studio
    Lamy_Studio_FP_Plat_S.jpg

To be honest it was really hard to find a high street retailer of quality pens and it the end my decision was based largely on good reviews. The basic Studio is reasonably affordable (£30-£40 at most places) but I got a deal on the more expensive special edition anthracite model with supposedly a better nib

I have been quite impressed by the weight and quality of the pen though and after a week of practice think my handwriting is starting to improve.

Bought blue, black and brown ink to try. The brown was a mistake.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Nice one!
    [...] The brown was a mistake.

At least it wasn't an expensive one.
  • Subaqua
    Subaqua Posts: 73
    I have a couple of namiki pens... keep one in the office and one at home.... they aren't the £2500 grand ones, but they are a refreshing change from the european luxury brand efforts. You do save a bit buying them from the US too
    Black Pearson Imnotanumber- FCN 4
    Blue Marin Team Issue MTB - FCN around 30
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    Asprilla wrote:
    Try a pen first. Mrs A and I have a Cross, a Parker 51 and a Mont Blanc between us. Mrs A prefers the Cross and I prefer holding the Parker. I never use it though as I write cack handed and I'd just get covered in ink.

Not sure the Mont Blanc has ever been used; another great present for Mrs A from me.....

I thought I was the only person that did this!!! Rejoice alas I am not :)

I have tried the fountain pen but like Asprilla I end up smearing what I am writing. I would however like a decent ball point pen. The other problem I have is losing pens.....
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    Peat wrote:
    Oh how i yearn to be able to use a fountain pen.

But, that dream was abandoned during school.... You see, i hold my pens a bit wonky and end up dragging the knuckle of my pinky over the line i have just written.

Im stuck with ball-points.

Another that makes 3 of us!! Lets start a club!!!!!!
  • twist83 wrote:
    Peat wrote:
    Oh how i yearn to be able to use a fountain pen.

But, that dream was abandoned during school.... You see, i hold my pens a bit wonky and end up dragging the knuckle of my pinky over the line i have just written.

Im stuck with ball-points.

Another that makes 3 of us!! Lets start a club!!!!!!

Yeah - you could call it Can't Write Club. But there will be rules...

1st RULE: You do not talk about CAN'T WRITE CLUB.
    2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about CAN'T WRITE CLUB.
    3rd RULE: If someone says "stop" or your wrist goes limp, the write is over.
    :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I received the Cross Century Classic (I or II, not sure) and really like it.

The review here sums it up quite nicely.

http://www.cross.com/en/GB/century-ii-c ... n-pen.aspx
  • I just don't write enough to warrant using the fountain pens I have any more. I can go most of the week without writing anything much, so if I use a fountain pen, they seem to dry up due to neglect.

On the other hand, I used to turn fountain pens for gifts - most of the pens I made are deeply cherished and used daily.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Damn you lot.

You always make me want to buy things I can't afford. Going to browse the window of the pen shop in town at lunch. I'm sure a nice fountain pen could help cure my overly fast scrawl that years of biro used have created.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    mudcow007 wrote:
    i thought i had seen it all....

i didnt know you could have pen snobs!!

whats wrong with a good old fashioned

bicbiro_zps565fb783.jpg

personally i use a parker jotter
    Pah, a lid such a snob!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    mudcow007 wrote:
    i thought i had seen it all....

i didnt know you could have pen snobs!!

You don't have to be a snob to use a fountain pen. The disposable Pilot V-Pens come in a few colours and are lovely to write with (if a little light, but they are plastic). They got me back into fountain pens a few years ago, and led to me buying a few nicer 'proper' fountain pens.
  • mpdouglas
    mpdouglas Posts: 220
    Another fountain pen user.

My tool of choice is a Yard-O-Led Grand Viceroy. Made in England from solid Sterling Silver. They were the original company to develop the propelling pencil - 12 x3" bits of lead, hence the "Yard-O-Led" brand name. Now onwned by Filofax I believe.

It weighs a bit but feels right for a fountain pen - and writes beautifully. Expensive but at least it has some intrinsic value in the Silver.

yol.jpg
    "The Flying Scot"
    Commute - Boardman CXR 9.4 Di2
    Sunday Best - Canyon Ultimate SLX Disc w/ DuraAce Di2
  • prawny
    Just bought a hero 616 of eBay in true commuter style of buying a cheap but we'll regarded copy of something good from China :)

I'm hoping for. Something decent for fathers day. Either a trip to the pen shop or a merkur futur fingers crossed.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    My handwriting is really bad, but I'd love to be able to write in something other than an unattractive scrawl! Can anyone give me any guidance on learning to write nicely? Has anyone ever changed their handwriting since leaving school?!
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    It's been said I have really nice handwriting, I even dabble in calligraphy now and then.

My preferred weapon at work however is a 4 colour Asda jobbie, it's made of clear perspex and you can see the 4 springs inside...very cool! :D
  • <3 didnt expect a thread on fountain pens on a bike forum but hey ho.

I have many pens and my favourite is an old parker lady 17 I got on ebay for 99p, it belonged to the sellers grandma who seems to have written exactly like I do so it just fits me <3 its in pristine condition even the ink sack was fine though it had dried up black ink in that took an age to get out. Other than that I have many pens from various brands but my lady 17 remains my favourite without a doubt. Sadly I dont get much opportunity to write with them. As for inks I have a vast array of diamine inks.
  • Have now been using a fountain pen daily since early January. When I'm not in too much of a rush my handwriting has most certainly improved. Have now upgraded my Lamy Studio to a Graf von Faber-Castell Classic Anello which is a joy to use.
  • prawny
    Fcuckin hell that's a bit of an upgrade! Nice!

I'm still trying to scrape enough cash together for a Lamy Safari :oops:
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • BUR70N
    BUR70N Posts: 182
    Have you thought about a Dunhill? Lovely pens!!

I have a Sidecar Revolette which I don't use (should really sell it) and its a lovely pen, Red, Black and a Pencil all in one! Writes so nicely!