Riders in Southend (Essex) area required.....

babyshambles
babyshambles Posts: 149
edited January 2013 in Road general
..... to form Saturday and Sunday morning group rides with.

Start Location: Southend Cliffs Pavillion Car Park (free parking - Post Code - SS0 7RD)
Distance: 40 - 60 miles
Routes: Various, depending on distance
Speed: 16-20 mph average
Date: Saturdays and Sundays
Time: 08:00
Cakes: No cake stops during the ride, there is no need for this distance. Breakfast available at the Cliffs
Pavillion at the end of the ride

Comments

• Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    Have you tried the Southend and County Wheelers?

http://www.southendwheelers.org/
  • Went there a few times and they are more interested in cake !! I found them quite up their own ar*ses and un welcoming... like a lot of clubs i have been to. I would like a smaller more fitness minded sorts to go out early and do the miles.

I ride with Essex Roads sometimes who are much friendlier and bigger, but they are a bit further away and they insist on the cake stop which I am not a fan of at all. There is no need to stop off during such distances. a cup of tea after the ride, yeah, but i dont want to sit around getting cold watching people eat cake.

Ideally 5-10 guys hammering along at a quick pace and having the day left to spend with the family of a weekend. The club runs often start too late, too much faffing about and not showered by 1pm which is half the day gone (and a family waiting to spend time with).
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    I have never had any issues with the Wheelers, you must have gone on a bad day. They dont stop for a cake or tea whilst out, only tea and cake at the village hall after the run, did you go with the 0900 or 1000 group? There is also Leigh riders which is an unofficial club meets along the Broadway sat and sun mornings at 0800 for a blast. Jct of Broadway and Beech Ave. And you are more than welcome to join us for a midweek blast at 1830 on tues eves leaving from the top of Chalkwell ave at the jct with A13

Hope this helps
  • Is this happening tomorrow?

I don't want to join a club as I'm only in Southend every other week and I'm already in a club.
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    Yes there should be some people out tomorrow, starting in Leigh Road. I can't make it but others are more dedicated. It is definitely not a club and there are none of the club obligations to wait for people. still if you fancy 45 miles with people who don't like rules and regulations then that is the place to be.
    The is a £100 joining fee.
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    May not be any need for a stop,but thats the social side of the sport-a lot of riders dismiss that part-even Cavendish and Alex Dowsett have cafe stops-they use The Blue Egg...and its very nice
    Bit further along the road but the Chelmer could be an option-but they sometimes cafe stop,think thats about it for near Southend
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    ..... to form Saturday and Sunday morning group rides with.

Start Location: Southend Cliffs Pavillion Car Park (free parking - Post Code - SS0 7RD)
    Distance: 40 - 60 miles
    Routes: Various, depending on distance
    Speed: 16-20 mph average
    Date: Saturdays and Sundays
    Time: 08:00
    Cakes: No cake stops during the ride, there is no need for this distance. Breakfast available at the Cliffs
    Pavillion at the end of the ride

Can't do the sunday rides, wife is at church during that time and I have to look after my little girl, but I'll certainly be up for the saturday rides.
  • call or PM for Saturday rides. will be here next sat, rain or shine.

cheers
  • haha the blue egg at bardfield is it, never seen cav or dowsett there myself?

nice shop/cafe, but frequented by the faux 'country' middle class idiots you get in this part of essex and the shop is more than happy taking their money off them. much like that harry enfield sketch in his middle class junk shop, and these people often like a close pass on those roads in their audi estates...
  • Hello mate,

Are you after dedicated people that can show up week in week out or would it be ok to put in the occasional appearance?
    I fancy a bit of group riding this year to improve my fitness / avg speed but like you, don't feel the need to stop on a ride of that length.
    I work shifts though and therefore can't turn up every week.
  • ride on at 8am, cliff's pavillion car park tomorrow. join us with no wind!!

call 077925 70598 to confirm.

free parking there too !!
  • Nice gentle ride out this morning in the fog and mist: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/258105450

Anyone up for a ride at 8am Sunday 6th Jan?
    Meet at the Cliffs Pavillion covered car park (back of the Cliff's) - SS0 7RD
    Will be heading out towards Hanningfield Res.
    Text 077925 70598 or just turn up at 8am sharp.
  • 5-10 guys hammering along at a quick pace and having the day left to spend

15.5mph average.....
  • Yes a gentle ride this morning. always ride to the slowest in the pack.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Gentle ride it might have been, but I still had a forty minute nap afterwards!! Must, must, must must work on my fitness!
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    See link below for an upcoming Essex event

viewtopic.php?f=40007&t=12899315
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    crispybug2 wrote:
    Gentle ride it might have been, but I still had a forty minute nap afterwards!! Must, must, must must work on my fitness!

You have the same recovery routing as me :D . I've always been fond of a nap and I feel fonder still when I've tired myself out on my bike.