Removing BB30 adaptor

ratsbeyfus
ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
edited January 2013 in Workshop
I've just ordered a FSA Gossamer Pro chainset with BB30 bottom bracket for my CAAD9. Currently it has a Shimano chainset and Octalink BB which uses a BB30 adaptor sleeve. I have the tools for removing the Shimano chainset and BB but nothing else.

My questions are:
- how do I remove the adaptor sleeve? Are any special tools needed?
- what tools will I need to install and maintain the BB30?

Any help and advice are greatly appreciated.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It is press-fit and may have been Loctited in place? Suggest you get who installed it to remove it. For DIY, use an old cartridge BB with flangeless cups, screw it in and give a firm thump with something heavy whilst supporting the other side of the BB shell.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ratsbeyfus
    Thanks Monty - I thought you might have the answer! :-)

It came brand new with the converter sleeve from a Cannondale dealer which isn't actually local. Think it may be a jobby for my LBS as I don't have an old screw in cartridge or a BB30 installation tool/headset press.

@ratsbey
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I believe that Cannondale say that once installed, the BB30 should be considered permanent but I expect that's a cop-out against ham-fisted mechanics than their being a genuine reason why removing it would somehow affect it's function. There's a small chance that the BB shell could be 'oversize' and therefore some form of 'bearing fit' (Loctite 641) is probably recommended to avoid the ubiquitous creaking.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ratsbeyfus
    I really hope that the adaptor sleeve isn't 'permanently' glued in - what's the point of making a BB30 frame if they're gonna screw it up by gluing something in. :-( Definitely one for the LBS then. Many thanks Monty!

@ratsbey
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    before you drop it off at an lbs - make sure thay have the correct FSA adaptor removal tool first ( it will almost certainly have been loctited in) otherwise they just smack it out with a hammer, leaving you with potential problems later on.
    Cannondale dealers should have the correct tools.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    TBH I would sell the BB30 cranks and get some HT2 or GXP cranks.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    nicklouse wrote:
    TBH I would sell the BB30 cranks and get some HT2 or GXP cranks.

that is the best advice.
  • ratsbeyfus
    The new BB30 chainset (compact FSA Gossamer Pro) is replacing a HT2 chainset (not octalink as stated in OP - triple Ultegra 6603)... I wanted to change from triple to compact and thought that as I had a BB30 compatible frame I may as well get a BB30 chainset and BB... perhaps I should've just got a compact Ultegra instead for less hassle. :?

@ratsbey
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    In the MTB world BB30 is a pain as bearing last even less time than a chocolate tea pot.

What material is your frame?

If carbon I would mot even think about removing the converter. As you are more likely to push out the BB30 insert rather than the adaptor.

If it is an alloy frame you could give it a go but I would not be doing it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown