Crank upgrade advice

davala95
davala95 Posts: 86
edited December 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all,

At the moment I have fsa omega exo crankset installed on my bianchi.

I have found a good deal on a ultegra crankset and was wondering whether the upgrade would be compatible and cause no issues with the bottom bracket I have installed on the bike now?

thanks

p.s are the teeth on the cranskset literally just counted to give the figure provided on many of the websites?? (eg 50/34)
bianchi via nirone 7 reparto corse 2008 alu/carbon 105

http://app.strava.com/athletes/1248390

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    davala95 wrote:
    Hi all,
    At the moment I have fsa omega exo crankset installed on my bianchi.

I have found a good deal on a ultegra crankset and was wondering whether the upgrade would be compatible and cause no issues with the bottom bracket I have installed on the bike now?

p.s are the teeth on the cranskset literally just counted to give the figure provided on many of the websites?? (eg 50/34)
    Yes, you literally count the teeth, 53/39 is a "standard" and 50/34 is a "compact".

As for compatibility you might be better asking in the Workshop section of this forum.
  • Why do you want to upgrade your crankset?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You'd need a new bottom bracket - FSA Omega uses their own proprietary 19mm spindle, whereas Shimano use a 24mm.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Unless you change your chainrings you won't notice any difference.
    Personally I'd save my money.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Yes, chainset 'upgrades' are a good way of spending a pile of money for little noticeable benefit. If you want to spend money. Use it on wheels, tyres and contact points.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..