Southampton cycling buddy

adowling92
adowling92 Posts: 225
edited January 2015 in Road general
Anyone in SOuthampton want a cycling buddy?
getting bored of riding on my own!
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. --John F. Kennedy

Comments

• I'm based in Fair Oak near Eastleigh, not far from Southampton. If you can get yourself round my way there are some fantastic cycling routes through the Meon valley. I should forewarn you though I'm fairly new to road cycling so whether I'd be enough of a challenge for you is another matter! lol

I'm also a member of Sotonia cycling club http://www.sotonia.co.uk. If you're not already a member, I strongly suggest you do so. They do club runs every Sunday for all abilities which are great fun and a great way of meeting people. They also organise competitive events, sportives, time trials etc if that's your bag.
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Reading this and your other posts, it sounds like joining a club might be a good idea. Providing they have rides organised for a range of abilities, it's a good way to progress to longer distances and higher speeds.
  • Southampton was generalisation but i live in chandlers ford near asda :) i tend to cycle up and around baddesly round to romsey and otterbourne. I'm asthmatic so if i am faster, i wont be for long lol.
    I was looking into that as i have a couple of friends who are in it, who are alot better than i am!
  • I'm from fareham, so if you fancy meeting up then pm me your number could sort something out? Don't mind coming up that way ran out of routes this way!
  • Yeah could do mate!
  • I'm based in Hedge End and regularly go out with 3 or 4 mates (or alone, I'm not that popular!!) on rides around the Meon Valley. Always happy for anyone to join me (us) for rides in this area or indeed anywhere else for that matter. None of us are particularly quick and have all mainly been riding for under a year.

If you happen to be a STRAVA addict even better as my mate Mark is a bit mad for all that!!!
  • If you live in Chandlers Ford then you're ideally located for Sotonia club runs, which always meet and start from North Baddasley.
  • http://www.cyclingbuddy.com/ might help find riders in your local area
  • btiratsoo
    btiratsoo Posts: 204
    Alright guys, I live in Colden Common - between Fair Oak and Winchester. Always game for meeting people as am fed up of riding on my own. Road or MTB. SOme good road routes from my front door out into the South Downs. Nice ride to Old Winchester Hill and back.

Drop me a pm if anyone is game for a group ride. Gentle speed.

Ben
  • GBR1
    GBR1 Posts: 97
    Hi Guys,

I am Bishops Waltham way, also keen, let me know your plan!

GBR1
  • garyk72
    garyk72 Posts: 76
    Guys,

How are the roads out towards Bishops Waltham and upwards to the hills? Thought I'd ask as a couple of mates are planning our first ride in 2 weeks tomorrow! Is there still snow on the ground on the lanes etc?

Cheers
    Gary
  • Why don't you all support one of your local clubs?

Venta in Winchester for example ............. although I am sure there must be ones in Southampton.
  • SPOC
    SPOC Posts: 109
    Not from Southampton, from Gosport, but often up Southampton way especially when the summer months come around.

http://app.strava.com/athletes/990354 My strava for anyone interested who's in the Portsmouth, Fareham, Gosport, Southampton sort of area, out and riding around all those places whenever I can, only really have one cycling buddy, so the more the merrier for me too! :)
  • GBR1
    garyk72 wrote:
    Guys,

How are the roads out towards Bishops Waltham and upwards to the hills? Thought I'd ask as a couple of mates are planning our first ride in 2 weeks tomorrow! Is there still snow on the ground on the lanes etc?

Cheers
    Gary

Hi Gary,

I went out for my fist ride yesterday since the snow, most roads are now fine! There were 2 roads that still had ice on them but with all the rain last night and it being quite warm today I think that will go sharpish!

GBR1
  • garyk72 wrote:
    I'm based in Hedge End and regularly go out with 3 or 4 mates (or alone, I'm not that popular!!) on rides around the Meon Valley. Always happy for anyone to join me (us) for rides in this area or indeed anywhere else for that matter. None of us are particularly quick and have all mainly been riding for under a year.

If you happen to be a STRAVA addict even better as my mate Mark is a bit mad for all that!!!

Hi garyk72

My mate and I are looking for more people to join us on our rides. We both live in Horton Heath, not far from Hedge End, and also go out to the meon valley. You and your mates are more than welcome to join us. We tend to ride on Sunday mornings, early start (8:30 - 9.00). We're both quite addicted to Old Winchester Hill at the moment! I'm on Strava (Keith Smith, Horton Heath) so feel free to look me up.
  • garyk72 wrote:
    Guys,

Cheers
    Gary

All the lanes are pretty much free of snow and ice now, but where it's been raining (and continues to do so), you may come across the odd flood. Generally there's a lot of crap on the roads so make sure you take spare inner tubes etc. I had a puncture this morning between Wickham and Botley.
  • To everyone on this thread looking to go out for a ride tomorrow, my mate and I are heading out tomorrow morning at 8am. We're going to head to Fisher's Pond near Colden Common, out towards Owslebury and take in Old Winchester Hill. We plan to do about 40 miles. Hope to see some of you out there! :D

FYI, my strava: http://app.strava.com/athletes/1262946. Feel free to look me up.
  • GBR1
    Guess you will head out through Fair Oak??

What time will you be at The Fishers Pond Pub??

Could be keen!

GBR1
  • SPOC
    I might be up for going out tomorrow, my Strava is further up the thread still for anyone in Hants interested.

Although beware, my mate who I almost always double up rides with, broke his collarbone on some ice left over somewhere in the Meon Valley today.
  • GBR1 wrote:
    Guess you will head out through Fair Oak??

What time will you be at The Fishers Pond Pub??

Could be keen!

GBR1

Indeed yes. Across Fair Oak crossroads, past the garage/Tesco Express on the left.

Just had a text from my mate. They'll apparently be light rain clearing very early tomorrow morning, so he has been given clearance by his missus to set out a bit later. It will now be 9am. We should get to the traffic lights by the Fisher's Pond pub by 9:10 to 9:15 I guess.
  • SPOC wrote:
    I might be up for going out tomorrow, my Strava is further up the thread still for anyone in Hants interested.

Although beware, my mate who I almost always double up rides with, broke his collarbone on some ice left over somewhere in the Meon Valley today.

Sh*t, not good! :shock: Hope he recovers quickly.

We went up Portsdown hill today and there was traces of snow still up there. Fortunately no ice on roads though.
  • GBR1
    It will now be 9am. We should get to the traffic lights by the Fisher's Pond pub by 9:10 to 9:15 I guess.

Cool, see you there!

GBR1
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    hi gents bit of a long way off but i have just booked to go to France and an staying at the eastleigh central travelodge on 25 May would love to get a ride in down your way before i head off to France. anyone who may be up for arranging a ride nearer the time give us a shout. and il be in touch nearer the time..

cheers
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • Great to meet you Will!

Hope you got home ok after your puncture! My mate had a puncture too in Botley, but fortunately we were fairly close to home by then. Despite the sunny skies, the roads were appalling today! All three of us have had punctures this weekend! lol

Was a great ride though and hope to see you out again. :D
  • GBR1
    Thanks Keith,

I got the puncture fixed quickly but I had sliced the tyre pretty badly so got a new tube in but couldn't add much pressure. Got home fine, just slowly..

Will pm you my contact details so let me know when you are out again as I am keen!

Cheers

GBR1
  • adam86
    adam86 Posts: 4
    Hi all

Hope no one minds me joining, i'm based in Hedge End and always looking for new people to ride with and learn a few new routes while i'm at it.

If anyone fancy's a ride feel free to PM.

Cheers

Adam
  • btiratsoo
    btiratsoo Posts: 204
    Alright Guys

Couldn't make it on Sunday. Anyone free during the week for some daytime riding?

Ben
  • Hi guys

Anyone out this Sunday? I'm heading out from gosport heading up towards wickham if you guys around that way? Then towards bishop Waltham?
  • SPOC
    I'm in Gosport, may well be going out this Sunday as I would imagine my football match will be called off.

I put my strava somewhere on this thread if you were on there, if not this week, maybe could ride out from Gosport another time.
  • GBR1
    btiratsoo wrote:
    Alright Guys

Couldn't make it on Sunday. Anyone free during the week for some daytime riding?

Ben

Hi Ben,

I work from home when in the UK (which I am currently). Looking at the weather Wed afternoon looks OK, I am keen for a ride then..

PM me with your contact details if you are up for it and we can arrange..

GBR1