First Injury - 661 Riot Elbow Pads any good?

joeyyeahyeah
joeyyeahyeah Posts: 16
edited January 2013 in MTB beginners
I had my first injury a few weeks ago. A trip to A&E, and a few weeks with a knackered elbow and an arm I can't use later, I'm thinking some elbow pads might be a good idea.
My riding isn't really extreme- red trails are about as extreme as it gets- so I've been looking at the above. Anybody tied 'em? Any good? Opinions or other suggestions appreciated. ;-)

Comments

• querhoch
    querhoch Posts: 111
    theyre ok, but they will move about a lot as you ride. i found them to be a bit sweaty too and took to wearing a crepe bandage under them to soak it up and help hold them in place. elbow injuries are pretty rare, relatively speaking, so its not something to I would spend money on again.
  • Polf
    Polf Posts: 64
    I've used the riot pads for a whle. 661 tend to make everyting bigger than you expect. I am at least a large in everything i buy. The large pads moved around on my arms but the mediums are perfect. Good pads, but try them on before buying. I came off on loose rock shale which shredded everything around the pads, but the correctly fitted pads remained in place and gave good protection.
    Yeti SB95
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275
    On One 456C

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, does not try it on"
  • Mark909
    Mark909 Posts: 456
    I've got raceface rally fr arms and legs. I've had a few offs with them now and apart from one where i was a bit winded never felt a thing. The pads are starting to look a bit battered now though.
  • I don't understand how someone could hurt their elbows whilst biking, personally, I think protecting your balls has a higher priority rating than elbows.

My first accident on a full size MTB was on those old steel frames where the top tube runs from the handle bar horizontally across to the seatpost. I was out riding my new bike when I had to brake suddenly, I'm sure your imagination can fill in the rest, you're not a real man unless you've had an accident like that on your MTB! :wink:
  • tudj
    tudj Posts: 254
    I don't understand how someone could hurt their elbows whilst biking, personally, I think protecting your balls has a higher priority rating than elbows.

My first accident on a full size MTB was on those old steel frames where the top tube runs from the handle bar horizontally across to the seatpost. I was out riding my new bike when I had to brake suddenly, I'm sure your imagination can fill in the rest, you're not a real man unless you've had an accident like that on your MTB! :wink:

I've cut my elbow, I was going way too fast down a bridleway, lost control, the front fork hit a rock and I got spat over the bars and brought my arms up in front of my face to save it getting smashed, as a result my elbow got smashed instead :P

If elbow injuries didn't happen, they wouldn't make pads. I've just recently bought some Nukeproof Criticals, the fit is great and they're hard shell - I've yet to ride in them yet though. I have 661 Riot Kneepads and if the elbow pads are similar I'd expect them to move around too much to provide enough protection when it matters.
  • querhoch
    querhoch Posts: 111
    tudj wrote:
    If elbow injuries didn't happen, they wouldn't make pads.

oh really? Did you know that you can buy insurance against being abducted by giant alien spiders? just because something exists doesnt neccessarily mean it has a purpose.
  • tudj
    tudj Posts: 254
    querhoch wrote:
    tudj wrote:
    oh really? Did you know that you can buy insurance against being abducted by giant alien spiders?

What?! Brb, googling where to buy some of that, you never know!

Maybe I was wrong but I know that they do happen, I have a scar to prove it :oops:
  • Cheers for all the feedback, all very useful. Yeah- I'm gathering that elbow injuries are far less frequent than knee injuries. Imagine how lucky I feel.... ! TBH, it's caused a lot of problems with work, as I haven't been able to drive for 2 weeks, so I really need to try and prevent it happening again- hence the pads.

FWIW, I did it riding a descending bit of red trail. I came out of pretty big berm, into quite a fairly steep drop with some pace. The surface had a fair covering of wet leaves, and my front wheel started to slip outwards. As I tried to control it, the wheel hit something, which caused it to suddenly turn right. This upended the bike and flipped me off it. As it was pretty steep drop, I just dropped my bike and tried to protect my head (from what I remember), resulting in damage to my elbow. As the Doctor, very helpfully(!) said, 'it's definitely injured' (cheers for that, Doc... :-S), and it isn't an MTB myth... .

So, whilst I might take a bit of convincing on the alien abduction insurance, the value of elbow pads is rather more apparent.

Also been looking at the G-Form pads- anybody have any experience of these?

Cheers again,

Joe
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    i got fractures of both elbows from an off when i was 16 both arms in slings for 6 weeks! tbh not sure what good elbow pads would have been for it as it was a superman OTB crash - if i makes you feel safer get them
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • Also been looking at the G-Form pads- anybody have any experience of these?

Joe

I went for G-Form after opening my elbow to the bone and having a couple of nights in hospital. Wasn't even a big off!

I really don't notice I have them on (knee and elbow pads). Very comfortable. Not the most protective. But more than enough for most knocks and will reduce any big hit. But if your doing extreme stuff you maybe should look at bigger pads.

I like them because they can be worn on any ride and you don't notice them and so do not detract from it.
  • I have only injured my left elbow and once my face when i crash, i have fox launch pro pads they are very good but the knee pads are quite bulky i havent crashed since ive got them though
  • I still can't believe that new people start MTB and don't wear pads on rocky courses as a minimum... i tend to
    wear mine all the time as i'm just used to em.
    Most more experienced riders wear pads and it's not because were riding harder and faster and tougher routes it's
    because weve learned from the school of hard knocks.. even though your less likely to fall off.
    I did myself initially .. i thought knee and elbow pads were for more experienced riders but they are not
    they've simply learned, myself included and were trying to help with experienced advice yet some people
    will never listen. Yep they may get lucky but being realistic if you ride proper MTB routes you'll off at
    some point and those sticky out boney things especailly with joints can and do impact significantly harder rocks.

Simple plain fact is i've been riding MTB "properly" for 14 years in that time i've worn a helmet every time yet
    only had a single fall were it really came into play... so i spent 1000's of hours riding before it actually
    saved me from serious injury, simply put people ride for years without knee and elbow pads and
    it reinforces their belief that they can control all falls or not fall off period so they then say they
    are not needed. They whine about comfort yada yada yada but ultimately wearing knee and elbow
    pads isn't uncomfortable you forget your wearing them if you get the correct ones. It's false
    bravado often and what they are really saying is "im so skilled i dont need em" and thats just BS really :P

I do have 2 specific examples one mate has not ridden for 6 years due to a crash and knee bash that
    resulted in numerous knee ops with cartalidge removed.. he cant really do mtb anymore and its
    seriously affected his day to day life.. on bad days he cant even walk. Another has just recovred after 3 years out and 2 elbow ops
    he now nurses his elbow and pads up always.... he was a no pads ever guy and used all the same arguments
    you usually see. Personally i've only every had one off where my knee pads saved me also but that one time
    was worth the outlay and proof of the benifits of accepting that bad things can happen to me.

Personally i'd go for hard shell knee and elbow for better intrusion prevention... i've had many over the years but personally like
    the POC Bone, comfortable and cool esp if you take the calf guards off the knee pads. I really like
    the knee pads as they are not pull ons and are 5 seconds to put on, dont move about and have great ventilation.
    Only real issue is you need to fit them properly or as learned from experience if they get wet on long rides they can chafe at the pressure points (elbow tips and knee caps) oohh and they are quite expensive but last longer than the full on soft shells so are worth it overall from protection/comfort and life.
    in my experience.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I don't understand how someone could hurt their elbows whilst biking

Obvious troll is obvious.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • querhoch wrote:
    tudj wrote:

oh really? Did you know that you can buy insurance against being abducted by giant alien spiders? just because something exists doesnt neccessarily mean it has a purpose.

I have permanent deep scarring in my elbows from an MTB fall
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • Chicks dig scars though.

I've never had an elbow injury, but my forearms are pretty much all scar, they turn an odd shade of purple in the cold.

Tbh, just mtfu and learn to fall properly!
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    Most more experienced riders wear pads and it's not because were riding harder and faster and tougher routes it's
    because weve learned from the school of hard knocks
    I think it is age related as you get more cautious while getting older :D I am having second thoughts now before my parachute jumps and don't consider places like Somalia, Kabul or Gaza as holiday destinations any more. You are getting old my friend :)
  • querhoch wrote:
    tudj wrote:
    I have permanent deep scarring in my elbows from an MTB fall

Ditto
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    i like my gforms. never had to use them in anger, but they passed the "hit the wall hard" test with flying colours.