Smoking

2»

Comments

• Today i was riding...and only one day without a cigarette, i got more oxygen! Wow..that makes me happy.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Or was it the 30mph headwind!
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    Or was it the 30mph headwind!

Pet cycling hate of mine here on the coast - 40mph headwind and your lungs are being inflated for you - plays havoc with my breathing rhythm.
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    Thank you @Lotus...and Neilo, you`re an English man in NRW?

Yes, I am. Unfortunately :-)

http://stevetilford.com/wp-content/uplo ... 00x374.jpg

Don't let this photo inspire you!
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Not to mention second hand smoke is bad for those close enough to inhale a smokers fumes. I should tell my fathers story for just another example of what smoking can do to many people. He was a smoker most of his life and would always laugh at anyone who thought it was unhealthy. Not sure he actually believed this but that is how he reacted. Anyways he was a very stong and intelligent man, always active doing something be it sports or seeing friends, theatre etc., was a very good athelete and was a very successful business lawyer who had travelled to every continent negotiating contracts for Boeing aircraft among others. His parents and siblings have no history of cancer that we are aware of. When he was 62 a cancerous tumor due to smoking was found in the roof of his mouth. At the time the treatment consisted of removing all his teeth and radiation therapy. The tumor was eliminated but he was left with a burned throat from the radiation making it almost impossible to eat any solid food and his meals gradually became mainly whiskey and water 3 times a day. Also he was never able to find dentures that weren't painful to wear so he just went without them most of the time. I saw my father reduced to a constantly irritable, pissed, couch potato (as we call them in the states) who sat in front of the TV during most of his waking hours, was constantly in pain and his weight went from a healthy 185lbs to 120 when he finally passed 15 years later. I remember the last days of his life he just didn't seem to care at all that he might die soon. Probably millions of other similar smokers stories around. It's not just your cycling to be concerned with. Of course there are a few people who don't seem to be affected by smoking too much but most aren't so lucky. Find a way to quit. Your friends and family will be happier too. I wish you the best of luck if you decide to quit.