Which Garmin Edge system do you use and why?

martylaa
martylaa Posts: 147
edited December 2012 in Road beginners
As above really, just wondering if I should get one?
Also anyone use a different GPS set-up?

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    If you want a bike computer that will record all your ride data to upload to Strava then the Garmin Edge 500 was best on test in last month's Cycling+ magazine. Best value was the Bryton Rider 40T.

For full navigation as well, although the 800 is highly praised, they point out how expensive it is and the Bryton Rider 50T won their best on test.

See this thread http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12893606

Most people on this forum seem to vote for the Garmin Edge 500.
    Personally I have the 800 because I like to follow routes that I don't know.
  • Gizmodo
    The questions are
    • What do you want the computer to record?
    • How long do you want the battery to last for?
    • What do you want to do with the data?
  • martylaa
    martylaa Posts: 147
    Gizmodo wrote:
    The questions are
    • What do you want the computer to record?
    • How long do you want the battery to last for?
    • What do you want to do with the data?
    Pretty much to record times, distances on routes and maybe even add a heart monitoring strap?
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    In that case, the Edge 500 because the 200 can't be used with a heart rate strap. The 800 will give you the option of full mapping, but if you don't need that then I don't see any reason to spend the extra. The course feature on the 500 is surprisingly good for navigating by anyway, I've found.
  • what i really want one for is so i can pre load a route into it and follow it while out and about
    save me taking wrong turns and getting lost
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    what i really want one for is so i can pre load a route into it and follow it while out and about
    You're looking for a Sat Nav, and I think only the 800 gives you that, but I've not heard that good reports about it.

I got a 200 last year, and just upgraded to a 500 at Xmas as I wanted cadence and heart monitor as well, plus it gives you 3 screens which you can customise to show what you want. The 500 can also be used indoor on the turbo.
  • Gizmodo
    what i really want one for is so i can pre load a route into it and follow it while out and about
    The Garmin 200 and 500 support "bread crumb" routes - you draw a route on a web site such as http://www.ridewithgps.com, you upload the route to the Garmin and you get a line drawing on screen of the route. Have a look at this video (from 1 min 57 sec) as an example http://youtu.be/kAEM26w0bgg

Or if you want full Sat Nav type functionality, with the addition of being able to draw a route on a web site such as http://www.ridewithgps.com, upload the route to the Garmin and get full turn by turn directions with full maps. Have a look at this video as an example (from 44 seconds) http://youtu.be/8ampEGzud68

As lc1981 said, you want Heart Rate info then you are looking at 500 or 800 or a Bryton.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I use the 500 because all I want is the GPS, HR, and Cadence in a nice neat package.

Not sure if sat-nav type navigation is really necessary for cycling -> especially since you can use the 'bread-crumb' routes on the cheaper ones.

Might be worth holding out for the rumoured Edge 900 though?
  • dashik
    dashik Posts: 156
    To me the 800 would very nice but unless you do a lot of riding in areas you don't know then I suspect most of us won't need the maps feature of the 800. Wanting the extra features is another matter. So for me it was money I did not need to spend and could go onto other cycling related purchases.

I got the 500 as you can do everything you need including riding preplanned routes.

My edge 500 can rotate through 5 screens of info if you really need that much while out riding.

As ever it depends on what you want and how much your prepared to pay.

Depending on where you buy it from you can try it out and send it back for an alternative if its not what you need/want. Maybe your Local Bike Shop could let you try a demo if you are on good terms/left enough to cover cost as deposit?
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    I have had the 500,800 and now the 200 to be honest i know my way around really well.
    I have ended up with the 200 as all i want is speed,ave speed and miles and to record my rides.
    Thats enough for me.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • damov2
    damov2 Posts: 66
    I'm currently using my old Garmin 305, with cadence sensor and heart rate monitor with works fine other than I don't have a bike mount for it, but will be going with the edge 500 at the end of Jan.
  • I've got the Edge 800 with OS mapping. I wanted a full mapping GPS unit as I'm still finding my way around the area, and loved the idea of being able to use the OS maps on a unit 8)

I have used mine to navigate with directions very successfully so far, and have no complaints at all. It's very easy to use on the bike and a doddle to save and upload rides. Also easy to make your own routes and transfer onto the unit.

Only downside is the initial outlay :|
  • im going to get one of these, i want full os mapping, and cadence monitor. im thinking i need the 800 with the enduro bundle?

for those who have this is the os mapping 1:50,000 or 25,000..can you get 25,000 on it?

likewise is the o/s mapping on it displayed as if its a sat nav...ie are you shown as a dot/arrow whatever superimposed on an o/s map on the screen (that is if you have no routes loaded in or anything and are just exploring about new places)

thanks
  • I got the 500 for Christmas with HR, and Speed/cadence sensors included. Was around £170 from CRC.

I've used it a few times now, so still getting to grips with it properly. I've got the speed magnet fitted on the wheel I use for the Turbo, and use the GPS to calculate speed when I'm out and about.

I like the fact you've got the 5-6 various, full-customizable screens. I set mine up so I've got a good summary screen on the main page with speed, distance, HR, cadence, av cadence and HR Zone. Then I've got a couple more pages with detailed info, and another specifically for on the turbo.

Cadence/HR stuff is really useful on the turbo, especially with the likes of sufferfest, although I've set up a couple of my own workouts this afternoon on Garmin Connect which I've now imported to the device for later use.
  • mcp73
    mcp73 Posts: 93
    The Edge 705 is perfect for me. It has most of the functions of the 800, just not a touch screen. Got it with HR strap and Cadence sensor for c. £200 brand new.
  • rando
    rando Posts: 285
    I have the 800 but never use the actual mapping part of it. If I was buying again now I would go for the 500 and save some money.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    I've just got the 500. I went for it as I didn't see me needing the full mapping (and much more cost) of the 800, the "trail" route guidance is sufficient, and it has cadence and HR sensors.

I probably won't be using the HR every time just yet, it's more of a curiosity for me at present, but cadence will help me.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Only use the Garmin 500 now. I use the HRM all the time and it's really useful. I used the cadence for a few weeks before taking it off and now it's in a box somewhere in the bedroom as it was a waste of time for me. Not sure if mapping is all that useful.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    500 + phone with GPS and google maps for when I get lost.
  • 800 here for 2 reasons.
    I'm a bit of a geek and love data.
    The missus and like to either download or create routes, then drive with the bikes to the start and ride the routes on roads/lanes we'd get lost on if it weren't for the navigation; we use the GB Discoverer maps; but the talkytoaster/openstreetmap maps are as good.
  • Edge 800 for me.

I often end up riding in areas I don't know (when away for work, or having taken the children to away hockey matches/sailing events). Therefore the navigation is a complete godsend - I can get on the bike and do a steady 40 miles or so with hardly a stop in an unfamiliar area.

I've got the 1:50,000 OS maps - which I also find great for working out exactly where we are when night mountainbiking. One slight downside of the 1:50,000 is that it's sometimes difficult to see the route line among the other map artefacts. Today I was out in the gloom, and turned down the detail on the maps under settings, and it was a lot better.

In answer to a previous question -when not navigating, there's a blue arrow showing your position. If you start the timer, a blue 'snail trail' is marked on the map to show where you've been.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Edge 500 for me and I use it because its a nice blue colour
  • lc1981
    jezzpalmer wrote:
    800 here for 2 reasons.
    I'm a bit of a geek and love data.
    The missus and like to either download or create routes, then drive with the bikes to the start and ride the routes on roads/lanes we'd get lost on if it weren't for the navigation; we use the GB Discoverer maps; but the talkytoaster/openstreetmap maps are as good.

The 500 is arguably adequate for this. If you plot the course in advance the bread-crumb trail navigation is perfectly sufficient. Where the 800's mapping might come in useful is if you lose your way or decide to change route mid-ride.
  • Arguably perhaps, but not ideal; don't really see the point in doing it halfarsed.
    Besides the missus has been known to get lost with the maps.
  • Having got the edge 500 and all excited by its potential I've found the website down all day for maintainance. Is this usual? It will be pretty naff if it is?
  • Gizmodo
    Cool4catz wrote:
    Having got the edge 500 and all excited by its potential I've found the website down all day for maintainance. Is this usual? It will be pretty naff if it is?
    It's the first time I've known it down in the 14 months I've been using it.
  • I've known it to be down for site maintenance once before.
    There are talks of new features for the Garmin (900 ?) like a real time strava type thing, so maybe they are adding these?

I'f you've got some ride you want to upload, maybe register for Strava and upload them there.
  • Got my first ride in since Christmas. 26 miles of cold driving rain and a blowing gale. Never been so drenched and miserable as I fought the wind. Still looking forward to plugging in new Garmin and seing just how rubbish I was No chance as site down. It's like getting a present with no batteries and no shops open :(
  • lc1981
    Cool4catz wrote:
    Got my first ride in since Christmas. 26 miles of cold driving rain and a blowing gale. Never been so drenched and miserable as I fought the wind. Still looking forward to plugging in new Garmin and seing just how rubbish I was No chance as site down. It's like getting a present with no batteries and no shops open :(

Just get a Strava account and upload it there instead!
  • lc1981
    jezzpalmer wrote:
    There are talks of new features for the Garmin (900 ?) like a real time strava type thing, so maybe they are adding these?

I'm pretty sure that this is unplanned maintenance, as it wasn't announced beforehand and the site seems to be coming back to life in fits and starts.