Transfers from geneva to bourg d oisans...

Crispyapp
Crispyapp Posts: 344
edited December 2012 in Road general
Hi I'm looking for transfers as above from the 25/5/13 to 1/6/13 and finding it quite difficult to find something of a reasonable price. There will be 7 adults plus luggage and 7 bikes in either bags or boxs. Does anyone have any links or advice on how we can transfer? I've tried just about most of the ski companies however they all seem to cease transfers at the end of April. I haven't called the companies which will be my next move in hope that 1 may be able to take us.

Advice and links will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Look 595 ultra - F+F for sale.....
Cervelo r5
Kinesis T2 2013 winter bike
Merida Carbon 1500 flx MTB

Comments

• Hire a minibus - thats the only vehicle likely to carry 7 bike bags, plus 7 lots of luggage plus seven people. You cannot fit a quart into a pint pot, not do they cost the same.
  • Hire a minibus - thats the only vehicle likely to carry 7 bike bags, plus 7 lots of luggage plus seven people. You cannot fit a quart into a pint pot, not do they cost the same.

I realise that but you can normally hire a mini bus with trailer that usually transfer people. My problem is they all stop at the end of April. A mini bus wouldn't be big enough without a trailer....

I was also thinking maybe a van and a car, but haven't looked at that option yet.
    Cervelo r5
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    What about looking at some of the mountain bike holiday companies and see who they use or if they can help?
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    Google is your friend too.....found this....

http://www.thecoolbus.co.uk/geneva_alpe_dhuez_mtb_transfers.html
  • YIMan wrote:
    Google is your friend too.....found this....

http://www.thecoolbus.co.uk/geneva_alpe_dhuez_mtb_transfers.html

Thanks this is perfect. And a good price. Ill contact them today.
    Cervelo r5
  • Why don't you stay in the Genevois area? There are plenty of Alpine climbs you can do... the Alpe d'Huez is not the only hard climb in the Alps... it is actually one of the ugliest
    left the forum March 2023
  • Have you looked into flying into Lyon or Grenoble?
    Transfer times are shorter to bourg than from geneva.

You might struggle with summer flights to Grenoble but Lyon is well served all year, not just the ski season.

You might be able to get a cheaper transfer as you are nearer.

Sorry to throw more questions than answers at you.

Good luck!
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Why don't you stay in the Genevois area? There are plenty of Alpine climbs you can do... the Alpe d'Huez is not the only hard climb in the Alps... it is actually one of the ugliest
    I'm going in May also - we plan to do Col de Galibier as well as Alpe d'Huez!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    try flying to Lyon - then hire a car from there
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • Why don't you stay in the Genevois area? There are plenty of Alpine climbs you can do... the Alpe d'Huez is not the only hard climb in the Alps... it is actually one of the ugliest

UFO, it's my first trip to the area, it's not ADH that's attracted me to the area, it's the Marmotte ride. I wanted to complete the route but without all the hassle and expense of riding on the actual sportive. So we have decided to stay in Bourg so we can do all or as many of the local rides we can as well as doing the Marmotte. The accomodation is booked already so can't change that. I have now found a transfer since posting this, we're going to go with the cool bus as posted above.

I hope to return maybe in 2014 so Genevois would maybe somewhere we can consider, thanks. I would also love to cycle Majorca 1 yr...
    Cervelo r5
  • UFO... Ha damn predictive text. Was meant to say UGO..... Sorry
    Cervelo r5
  • Bigpikle wrote:
    try flying to Lyon - then hire a car from there

No flights... Our original was to fly into grenoble but there is no flights.
    Cervelo r5
  • Leemerlin wrote:
    Have you looked into flying into Lyon or Grenoble?
    Transfer times are shorter to bourg than from geneva.

You might struggle with summer flights to Grenoble but Lyon is well served all year, not just the ski season.

You might be able to get a cheaper transfer as you are nearer.

Sorry to throw more questions than answers at you.

Good luck!

Hi yes we did, grenoble was top of the list and Lyon 2nd, but from leeds Bradford there are no flights. I'm not travelling to another airport it's not worth it as I only live 5 mins away from leeds Bradford so the extra distance from geneva far out ways going to another airport in the uk....
    Cervelo r5
  • Crispyapp wrote:
    I have now found a transfer since posting this, we're going to go with the cool bus as posted above.

You should be fine with cool bus. I did a few ski seasons a couple of years back and they were pretty good back then. They had all newish VW transporter vans. Drivers were mostly British but not sure what the staff are like in the summer.