Uk - Madrid early 2013

purpleblur
purpleblur Posts: 2
edited December 2012 in Tour & expedition
Hello everybody,

In early 2013 I'm moving to Madrid to improve my Spanish and have decided that rather than fly, I'd like to cycle through France and Spain instead, document the journey as I go and attempt to collate into book at the other end.

I've decided to have my mid-life crisis slightly early (I'm 27). I got swept up in the magic of cycling over the summer, bought a road bike, now regularly cycle to and from work and manage to get out for a few longer rides depending on the weather.

I'm really looking for some advice on this. It is roughly 1000 miles, which if I take a month means roughly 33 miles per day, are there good places to stop off? For the purposes of the book, I will need to visit some interesting places that give a feel of the diversity of different areas. Have you embarked on a similar journey, did you come across some good projects/guesthouses?

At the moment my pencilled route is Salisbury (where I live) to Poole, ferry to Cherbourg then down the coast via Nantes. While this is the most direct route, it means I will miss Paris, Andorra and Barcelona which would be of real interest to me.

Can somebody please help with any insight into the types of road that I'm likely to encounter? Also whether or not it is worth adding miles to go across to Dover then through Paris, Andorra and Cataluna.

Would welcome any input from experienced cyclicts.
Thanks

Christopher
christopherpanks@hotmail.co.uk

Comments

• durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Nice idea! (is somebody else taking all your stuff with you for your time in Madrid?)

Personally i think you need to set your sights much higher than 33 miles, and go for at least double that. If you have ALL day to cycle, 33 miles won't take you more than 2hr30/3hr and you'll be finished before lunch. You won't find that many really interesting places that you want to spend each afternoon in.

Regarding Andorra, how early in 2013 are you doing it? The roads through the ski resorts will be clear, but it will be cold!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....