How much faster riding in a bunch?

stevez
stevez Posts: 29
edited December 2012 in Road general
I do virtually all my riding on my and generally average 16-17mph on my 50 milers.

If I were to ride in a group of say 8-10 similar standard risers what could we expect our average to go up by?

Comments

• markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    As long as you can stick close to each others wheels and do a fair share then no reason to get it up to 18-19mph for the same effort level. I generally ride at around 18-19mph and the club group I ride with can manage 19-20mph over 100 miles
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yes a couple of mph extra is to be expected. Depends how hard you push and what terrain too. Over lots of hills you get split up more.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    The difference is huge, comfortably gain 2-4mph as a bunch plus a chunk of saved energy
  • You get drafting effect as well the motivational factor. Definitely will be faster than going along solo assuming the same effort level
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    as the others have said, an organised set of riders will be able to pound on and on

when you are riding in a chain you are sharing energy so the sections that you aren't at the front you get little snatches of recovery, you don't slow down taking a drink etc
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    25mph ;)