Canyon Ultimate Al Pave "Van Summeren"

2»

Comments

• How long till she's built up?

Despite all the rain recently the next few days are going to be quite temperate so lots of dry-ish riding to be done.

Given it's a white frame, a lot of black Campagnolo components would look great on her.

Someone said in another thread that Canyon's lend themselves to Campagnolo a lot better than many other makers and I must say I agree.

Chorus with almost all-black low-pro wheels would look killer. Maybe silver spokes, dunno.

Have a look at the Flanders version of Ridley's Helium and you get the idea. Don't get a Regal saddle tho, they're a bit wank for what they are, i.e. too fat and too padded for longer rides.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • How long till she's built up?

Despite all the rain recently the next few days are going to be quite temperate so lots of dry-ish riding to be done.

Given it's a white frame, a lot of black Campagnolo components would look great on her.

Someone said in another thread that Canyon's lend themselves to Campagnolo a lot better than many other makers and I must say I agree.

Chorus with almost all-black low-pro wheels would look killer. Maybe silver spokes, dunno.

Have a look at the Flanders version of Ridley's Helium and you get the idea. Don't get a Regal saddle tho, they're a bit rub for what they are, i.e. too fat and too padded for longer rides.

Might be a few weeks before she hits the road. Hopefully ordering a set of hubs tomorrow to send to ugo.santalucia for building up with ambrosia nemesis tub rims. I've decided on Hope Pro 3 hubs in black and will look to get a Hope BB in black as well. Campag would be nice but it just isn't me. I have a reasonable amount of shimano stuff (mainly 105) and decided to treat myself to Ultegra. Purchasing tubs has been a big step for me but I think the Nemesis rims on Hope hubs will look good. I think spokes will be DT Swiss. i will check out the Ridley though.

I thought about a Sella Italia saddle purely because that's what the Silence-Lotto team rode but I'm open to suggestions on that front. my dolan has a Toupe and my Ribble has the same sort as the one on the pedal force TT bike thread on this forum which is quite comfy.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • vespario
    vespario Posts: 228
    More pics please!
  • vespario wrote:
    More pics please!

I'm...er...ahem...going to practise with my daughter's coolpix camera. Depending on the results there will be a picture of my dog-eared Ribble in the winter bikes thread later.
    @JaunePeril

• RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    Really looking forward to seeing this YP. It'll be one of the best on here !! ;0)

DB.
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • RDB66 wrote:
    Really looking forward to seeing this YP. It'll be one of the best on here !! ;0)

DB.

Many thanks DB. Hope Pro 3 hubs in black have just been ordered from Wiggle (got to have someone to blame) and are being delivered to ugo.santalucia for wheel building.

The project has begun...
    @JaunePeril

• His wheels are great. He did some for my Genesis and, shortly, I shall be seeking is advice regarding my own Canyon.

I'm thinking Hope hubs at the moment, maybe Novatec (I'm on no rush), with some box section type wheels. Like the look of the Nemesis clinchers myself.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • His wheels are great. He did some for my Genesis and, shortly, I shall be seeking is advice regarding my own Canyon.

I'm thinking Hope hubs at the moment, maybe Novatec (I'm on no rush), with some box section type wheels. Like the look of the Nemesis clinchers myself.

Nemesis clinchers do not exist... There are various lookalike... Some better than others. Box section hard anodised rims were very common 20-25 years ago... Campagnolo had a wide range of them and Wolber, Ambrosio, Nisi, Mavic... All good stuff
    left the forum March 2023
  • Bizarely I meant to type tubulars (having been clinchers for years). If I did that it would be for "best" and I'd keep the RS80's.

Or I might go Excelight. Ugo, I know weight isn't the be all but, sub 1650g? recommendations?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Bizarely I meant to type tubulars (having been clinchers for years). If I did that it would be for "best" and I'd keep the RS80's.

Or I might go Excelight. Ugo, I know weight isn't the be all but, sub 1650g? recommendations?

To be honest, Planet X is selling excellight rims on Shimano 105 for less than the cost of the parts at the moment... doesn't make much sense to build excellight right now. Excellight don't look like Nemesis at all... Hplus Son TB14 does.. :D
  • RDB66 wrote:

DB.

Many thanks DB. Hope Pro 3 hubs in black have just been ordered from Wiggle (got to have someone to blame) and are being delivered to ugo.santalucia for wheel building.

The project has begun...

Getting there... :D
    http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/med ... ail/16/276
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,268
    So?

Is it possible to see the result? :o
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    worst thread...ever.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    [img062_zpsc85d9101.jpg][/img]

Frame: 64cm Canyon 2009 Paris-Roubaix AL Ultimate Pave built for Silence -Lotto's Johan Van Summeren
    Groupset: Shimano Ultegra 6700
    Bottom Bracket: Hope S/S
    Finishing kit: Ritchey WCS
    Seatpost: Canyon
    Wheels: Currently Mavic Ksyrium Elite s to be replaced with Ambrosia Nemesis on Hope Pro 3 Hubs built by Paolo Coppo (Ugo.santalucia) currently having Conti sprinter tubs fitted.
    Weight: 8.1Kg

One ride out so far some weeks ago. First impression was that it was very smooth for an aluminium bike but I guess if they were going to use it over cobbles it had to be less harsh than aluminium usually is. Bars are oversize and felt a bit strange but the Ultegra was a revelation to me having only ever ridden with 105 before.

I'm planning some better photos when the Nemesis arrive.
    @JaunePeril

• Yellow Peril
    Never had Ritchey finishing kit before. I'm impressed at the quality for the price.

064_zps17f2b87e.jpg
    @JaunePeril

• RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    looks good... :)
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Lovely.

I really with you had put some Chorus on it tho. Campag really sets off a white Canyon to the max. Phil Gil started the look at it rocks.

Same way that Nibali's Spesh it lifted to a whole new level with Campag. Red is great but it looks too LBS on a Tarmac. The Campag is more "I got it exactly how I wanted it".

That said, ride the snot outta it! Are you taking to RVV or PR this year? If so, a Go-Pro mounted between the legs on your seatpost is a MUST! I'd watch that till the wheels fall off...
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,268
    We want to see the Nemesis!!
  • Yellow Peril
    Lovely.

I really with you had put some Chorus on it tho. Campag really sets off a white Canyon to the max. Phil Gil started the look at it rocks.

Same way that Nibali's Spesh it lifted to a whole new level with Campag. Red is great but it looks too LBS on a Tarmac. The Campag is more "I got it exactly how I wanted it".

That said, ride the snot outta it! Are you taking to RVV or PR this year? If so, a Go-Pro mounted between the legs on your seatpost is a MUST! I'd watch that till the wheels fall off...

I'm really looking forward to getting some miles opn it out on the road. I'd liked to have gone down the Campag route but I've no experience of it, having Nemesis tubs built by Ugo was as avante garde as I was prepared to go!

Hopefully going to the LBS tomorrow to pick them up tomorrow and will find a bit of cobbled roadway and do a few arty photos.

I seriously want to visit the RVV or P-R but the cost of getting from the IOM to Eurpoe can be prohibitive. Hopefully I'll be at the Archer GP in Lincoln this year. All being well there will be an IOM team competing in Ellan Vannin kit and a few of us will be doing a Sportive the day before and cheering the lads on the following day!
    @JaunePeril

• RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    Thats looking v good YP...i like it ! Enjoy it.

The Nemisis will take it up another notch....

Ritchey kit is superb, love mine...looks nice when its all matching.

Dicky.
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • Gabbo
    Gabbo Posts: 864
    We need a dedicated Canyon thread where everyone shows off their piece of work!
  • Yellow Peril
    Gabbo wrote:
    We need a dedicated Canyon thread where everyone shows off their piece of work!

I'd go with that! Very impressed with Canyon at the moment.

Sprinter tubs now glued on the Nemesis and retrieved from LBS. Helping out at local RR tomorrow so no ride out. Maybe some pictures in the afternoon before La Primavera
    @JaunePeril