Mudgaurds

tetley10
tetley10 Posts: 693
edited December 2012 in Road beginners
After riding in last weeks wet weather have worked out a mudguard would be handy for the bike, no body likes a wet @rse.
I'm eyeing up one of those 'Crud Catcher' back guards.
Help and advice gratefully received.

Comments

• Quick advice = get some mudguards!!! A front one stops feet from getting wet too!
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    If you can slide a 4mm allen key between tyre and closest obstruction (normally the brake bridge) then cruds will fit.

I have them on my CAAD and they do a good job and weigh next to nothing (if that is a concern).

They can take a bit of 'faffing' to set up and on some bikes you need to 'customise' them, but once on they provide very good protection.

Check out the tips vids on their website.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Several useful threads on this topic recently. Search will find them.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I think the OP is referring to those tail fin things that mtbers use.

If you can fit proper mudgaurds (what bike do you have?) then do it.
    More problems but still living....
  • tetley10
    amaferanga wrote:
    I think the OP is referring to those tail fin things that mtbers use.

If you can fit proper mudgaurds (what bike do you have?) then do it.

Cube Peloton. Yeah I'm thinking the tail fin things.
  • smidsy
    Oh right - no.

Get proper full guards.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • tetley10
    smidsy wrote:
    Oh right - no.

Get proper full guards.

They're going to make my bike look less pretty though aren't they ?? :lol:
  • smidsy
    No less pretty than the fin thing.

Actually when they are fitted the full crud 2's are pretty discrete. If you have a black bike with all black tyres they are virtually invisible :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • tetley10
    smidsy wrote:
    No less pretty than the fin thing.

Actually when they are fitted the full crud 2's are pretty discrete. If you have a black bike with all black tyres they are virtually invisible :-)

Nah mines a white bike, well off white now after this weather.
    Okay I'll check out the full guards as well. Still learning about this cycling business.
  • smidsy
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Tetley10 wrote:
    smidsy wrote:
    Oh right - no.

Get proper full guards.

So will the mud and goo. It isn't just cosmetic either - the road gunk will work its way into the drive train. Mudguards prevent all this. A very good idea to get some, both for you and the bike, and those who ride with you or near you.
  • tetley10
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Tetley10 wrote:
    smidsy wrote:
    Oh right - no.

Get proper full guards.

So will the mud and goo. It isn't just cosmetic either - the road gunk will work its way into the drive train. Mudguards prevent all this. A very good idea to get some, both for you and the bike, and those who ride with you or near you.

True about the mud and goo. It's already caked in it. Cleaning day today.
    I've read a lot about the cyclists behind you so another reason to get them.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Full guards + overshoes and you can ride hours with dry feet in the rain. As for cosmetics, cruds are hardly noticeable. #biketart
  • tetley10
    iPete wrote:
    Full guards + overshoes and you can ride hours with dry feet in the rain. As for cosmetics, cruds are hardly noticeable. #biketart

Bike tart is definitely right.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    iPete wrote:

I've had all kinds of guards and even added a big flap, but I've never had dry feet after even just an hour in proper rain with properly wet roads with standing water. Cruds are good, but they sure don't keep my feet dry. And SKS guards are flawed in their design - the stay mounting metal is on the inside of the guard so water gets spat out when it hits it.
    More problems but still living....
  • Quick advice = get some mudguards!!! A front one stops feet from getting wet too!

Yeah.... not always....

http://youtu.be/VQNwTkZJMiw

they were a complete waste of time then. Mind you, my arse was nice and dry.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    If you dont have guards on when out with our group you will not be allowed to ride.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Guards and flaps for this weather. Although we had floods too so nothing will keep the feet dry if they go underwater.
  • tetley10
    Thanks for all the advice given. As a newbie it's gratefully received.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    You’ve still not bought any though, have you?! #holythreadresurrection
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    markyone said:

If you dont have guards on when out with our group you will not be allowed to ride.</blockquote

Not be allowed pmsl

Ive ridden with groups like that and yet when faced with 20 miles into a head wind with driving rain, most seen happy to sit directly behind me the whole way.

Cycling's expensive , no end of things you must have. Mudguards do work and are a courtesy for others but they cost money. And it all eventually serves to make it a less inclusive sport.

I dont bother with them apart from on a commuter and my brompton.

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    markyone said:

If you dont have guards on when out with our group you will not be allowed to ride.

seems a good reason not to have any tbh if your lot are that fun.

MF can almost hear the bantz now.

#ohthejoy
    #clubbies
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • I found the Roadracers wouldn't fit the front of my Ridley, not enough space between the inside of the forks and the spokes! Gone for SKS Pro Raceblades, not bad but not as good as full guards.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566

I found the Roadracers wouldn't fit the front of my Ridley, not enough space between the inside of the forks and the spokes! Gone for SKS Pro Raceblades, not bad but not as good as full guards.

I have just fitted some plastic type SKS mudguards I took off another bike to a Ridley and must admit I had to cut away some of the mudguard where it went in the front fork to get it to fit.