man down..... me

petemadoc
petemadoc Posts: 2,331
edited December 2012 in The cake stop
Probably more appropriate in commuting chat but I don't post in there much.

So I was cycling home from work today without my helmet, I don't have a winter hat that will fit underneath it. Horrible conditions, dark, wet and windy. Doing about 20mph when something fast and furry shoots into my front wheel, I think it was a rabbit but not sure, I may have killed someone's cat. Anyways I hit the tarmac hard, head and hip take a heavy hit. Some people get out their cars to check on me, I seem ok but have a little rest to let the adrenalin subside. Then my vision goes to shit, everything is blurred, just shapes and lights and I start bricking it just a little bit. Never had anything like that happen so I was pretty scared. I had about 3 minutes of blurred vision I think. Eventually it goes and I very gingerly cycle the remaining half mile home. I get in the house and go into shock and my wife calls an ambulance.

3 hours in A and E. Lots of bruises and road rash. A big lump on my head that shouldn't be there.

If I'd have had my helmet on I'd have spend the evening sat on my sofa, complaining about road rash and shopping for a new helmet. Thankful it wasn't any worse and I've well and truly learnt my lesson.

Comments

• PeteMadoc wrote:
    Then my vision goes to shoot, everything is blurred, just shapes and lights and I start bricking it just a little bit. Never had anything like that happen so I was pretty scared. I had about 3 minutes of blurred vision I think.

That was probably your system rebooting and coming back online. Do you ever have the overwhelming desire to find people with the surname Connor?
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    I'm glad you're okay.

Being follically challenged I always wear a bluff, winter for a bit of warmth and summer for sunblock purposes. I wouldn't say that a bluff is as warm as a fleecy beanie, but as its much thinner it doesn't seem to stop my helmet from fitting. It also then hangs down at the back to keep my neck a bit warmer too.
  • Glad you're ok, pretty scary episode? No preaching from me, I think everyone has the right to choose to wear one or not. Bet the wife gave you an ear bashing? Hopefully on the non bruised side :wink:
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Glad your on the mend,and as you already said "Lesson learned"

Put it down to experience and move on,hopefully the "off" won't have affected your confidence.

Here's to a speedy recovery.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Glad you're OK, near miss by the sounds of it!

This is why I'm sceptical about country dwellers....the country is full of wildlife and nature and stuff that is out to get you.