Steam Cleaning A Bike

cornerblock
cornerblock Posts: 3,228
edited December 2012 in Road general
I recently bought a steam cleaner, nothing special, one of those "As Seen On TV" efforts. It's been quite useful around the house but I was wondering if it would be Ok to steam clean a bike. I'm mainly thinking of places like the back of the cassette where it's difficult to clean properly without taking it off the wheel.

Would you attempt to clean your bike with steam or do you think it might cause damage?

Comments

• i wouldnt..

damaged paint is the main concern
    leave it in the kitchen for the misses to use
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • It'll lift the stickers/decals off in short order, and probably not agree with the paint.

If you've got any paint/coating chipped or missing on powder-coated metal things (like brake calipers) it'll strip the rest off before you can blink.

It should be okay on the cassette though.
  • cornerblock
    Thanks. I suspect you are both right. I don't think I'll take the risk, although I am tempted to remove the rear wheel to clean the cassette.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    and you will need to check that the seals on the bearings can take 10 BarA of steam

and if anything is carbon, better be boil proof...........
  • That's a point - the seals won't like the sudden expansion and subsequent contraction from the heat.

Reckon you're better off just using the missus' tooth brush with a bit of engine degreaser

Or removing the cassette and putting it in the dishwasher
  • I used to use a steam cleaner on machinery, it never damaged anything...but it has its limitations, usually getting into nooks and crannys, the steam jet on them (well the £120 one I used to use) wasn't that strong over any distance. It's a very localised jet. Rubber o rings,, plastics etc, never harmed them at all. Ditto paint and decals if they're lacquered over, never hurt them.
    Give it a go...I don't think you'll do any harm, but suspect you'll realise its a faff and won't do everything you want it to.
    Hope I'm wrong, but...
  • cornerblock
    Yes I think I'll leave the steam cleaning idea alone altogether. I'll have to get the chain whip and spanner out and clean the cassette the proper way.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Good grief, some of you guys need to get yer pinafores on and learn about your wives' tools.

A steam cleaner is unlikely to take decals off modern paintwork, it doesn't deliver 10bar pressure and all frames will easily take the temperature of the steam.

I've used on on my Grand Fondo. It was good at getting grime out of nooks and crannies, removing tar spots and removing some glue residue left from sportive stickers. The decals are part of the paint finish.

Keep well away from bearings such as hubs and BBs.

The pressure is not that high - I can run my finger through the jet with no side effects.
  • I wouldent do it simply because you just dont need to thats all
  • cornerblock
    Come on now Neale where would man be today with that attitude?
  • navrig
    I should add that I tried to clean the cassette. The steam softened any grease/grime but any attempt to remove it failed as it cooled down very quickly. The best I managed was to move the grease/grime around a bit.

I find the best way to clean the cassette is with a stiff nylon brush applied against the freewheel with the wheel off. Occassionally I take time to apply a degreaser and a cloth on individual cogs.
  • cornerblock
    These are the best thing I've used for cleaning the cassette, better than any brush I've tried.
  • navrig
    These are the best thing I've used for cleaning the cassette, better than any brush I've tried.

They are expensive and disposable.

I use something like this:

Floor-Scrub-Brush-201C-.jpg

It lasts for ages and cleans right into the cassette. No chemicals just a bit of elbow grease. Takes about 2 minutes of vigorous brushing to do a cassette.

In fact it may be this one:

Floor-Brush-60175-.jpg
  • cornerblock
    Nah they'll not get right in there to leave it all clean and shiny. The bike floss is a little expensive for what it is , but a soak in white spirit then a good rinse and they're good to go again.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Never mind the bearing seals, it would simply melt the grease in the bearings. Would do a good job of getting all the gunk out of a chain though. The problem with steam cleaning is that the muck has still got to go somewhere, so you still need to wipe it off.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Come on now Neale where would man be today with that attitude?

:roll:

I dident feel the need for a power or steam cleaner even on my dh bikes. Its how you use what you have more than anything. Those cheap washing up brushes are perfect for cassettes
  • cornerblock
    Neale1978 wrote:
    Come on now Neale where would man be today with that attitude?

:roll:

I dident feel the need for a power or steam cleaner even on my dh bikes. Its how you use what you have more than anything. Those cheap washing up brushes are perfect for cassettes

Yes I suppose you're right, what was I thinking? Silly me.
  • cornerblock
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Never mind the bearing seals, it would simply melt the grease in the bearings. Would do a good job of getting all the gunk out of a chain though. The problem with steam cleaning is that the muck has still got to go somewhere, so you still need to wipe it off.

Well I gave it a try on the old commuting/knockabout bike as I'm less worried about it and you were right Monty Dog it brought the chain up a treat, really got it clean. It was good on the jockey wheels too. Not as effective on the cassette though.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    steam is used to clean cars - interiors, fabrics, paint, wheels, engines etc all the time. I've done it loads and its never caused a single issue. The key is that it loosens and lifts grime but wont remove it, as pointed out, so you need to wipe it off etc.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • Just take the cassette off - its a two minute job and allows you to really clean each cog and to assess them for wear..

Use something like Monster wipes from B&Q for the rest of the frame - the soap content is really good and gets everything off.