why are power meters soooo expensive?

2»

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    The last company to sell bottom bracket strain guages liquidated a few years ago.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Aye, I certainly wouldn't rely on strava for any accurate data. I did always wonder how they managed to pull those 'power' figures out of seemingly nowhere.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The last company to sell bottom bracket strain guages liquidated a few years ago.

You mean Ergomo? That's true, there were some fairly big issues with that though.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Yeah. Always looked like a dodgy bit of kit to me.
  • njee20
    It would have done better if it had come 10 years earlier, it's reliance on a defunct BB standard didn't help!

I reckon Power2Max looks the best compromise at the moment - c£750 with a Rotor 3D crank, can use whatever wheels you want, left:right balance.
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    cooldad wrote:
    As someone who likes to ride bicycles in the dirt, who cares?

Good point well made.
    If it's a sport to you and you ride competitively and need to train I guess it's of some concern, for the rest of us like CD says, who cares.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • njee20
    Why do people use different tyres? Dropper posts? Full suspension frames? Energy drinks? Bolt-thru axles?

A power meter is the best way to train in order to ride faster. Plenty of people derive pleasure from the ability to ride faster. If you're not one of those then why do you even bother to come onto threads like this?
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I enjoy riding more the faster i can ride (being fitter, better skilled, more capable bike etc all help), though I still don't really go to any real lengths to train.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • njee20
    What's your point caller?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    however I did think they were more of a lycra brigade thing.

Danny Hart uses them, SRAM Blackbox made an X0 downhill crank with the quarq kit for him.

12b290030.jpg
    Uncompromising extremist
  • njee20
    Now for sale publicly, so they obviously think it's got the potential to become more prolific in MTB. Stages are doing a Saint and a DX BMX crank with power meter too.