Wet weather tips.

2»

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cooldad wrote:
    I dunno, on a hot sunny day sometimes its nice just to take in the scenery.
    Hot. Sunny. Scenery. Gateshead. Pick the odd one out.
    None? Your experience of Gateshead has been somewhat different to mine.
    OK, just messing with your head. My memories of the NE are somewhat different, mainly made up of docks.
    That does look quite acceptable.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Slightly rich coming from someone who lives in Bracknell!
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    A lot of the NE is ugly, though. Borough. Sunderland. Jarrow.
  • was this topic titled "a chance to bash where others live"????? my fault I really should have thought that was a better title and thread topic.............. well anyway if we are going that way DUDLEY TOTALLY SUCKS (probably a bad place to mountain bike too).

I'm liking this where else can we be really down on????
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    njee20 wrote:
    Slightly rich coming from someone who lives in Bracknell!
    Yup, Bracknell is a sh1thole, only upside is a few minute ride to Swinley. But as I'm originally from Sunderland, anything is an improvement.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Back to wet weather tips.

Wear Marigold gloves under your normal gloves, keeps you warm and dry though you lose a bit of sensitivity on the controls.
    Personally I loathe Sealskin type socks I find they fill up with water and you end up just as cold. I wear top notch Merino socks your feet get wet but they do stay warm.
    Put a drop of Fairy Liquid on your specs rub it in then polish it off stops your lenses steaming up.
    Use lock on grips nothing worse than a revolving grip.
    Buy waterproof shorts not having a wet bum makes the experience much better.
    Waterprof your jacket properly it makes a hell of a difference.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • querhoch
    querhoch Posts: 111
    wearing marigolds is a bad idea as they dont breathe and your hands just sit in a puddle of thier own sweat. its horrible.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    querhoch wrote:
    wearing marigolds is a bad idea as they dont breathe and your hands just sit in a puddle of thier own sweat. its horrible.

It wont work if you have sweaty hands but it works for me. It does make your hands pong of rubber for a while takes a few washes to stop attracting Gimps.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I agree with the above, just get proper gloves...
  • I must say I concur.
    Wearing marigolds under your gloves sounds like a dopey thing to do and must add that I own 1 pair of seal skin socks and find them to be absolutely fantastic (I do also own several pairs of icebreakes thick merino socks which are fab too but not as good as sealskins in wet conditions).

The waterproof shorts are an absolute must though so well said on that one.

Also I agree about reproofing your waterproofs (even if it is a massive faff)
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • It can be hard to get motivated if its peeing it down outside, but Iif its just wet out there then:
    Having the right bike for the job. A simple HT, nothing fancy as moving parts wear quickly in the mud.
    Wear appropriate gear. Waterproof jacket and trousers/tights with shorts. Not only does it keep you warm, it also keeps you clean.
    A mud guard up front at least. Glasses too.
    Ensure you rinse your clothes off, outside when you get home. Else you'll fill the washing machine with leaves+mud!
    Ride slower but techy trails. Fast trails just gets you and your eyes covered in filth. Riding techy stuff encourages low speed slides, which is great fun!
    Ensure mud friendly pub stop on way home.
    A quick hose and wd40 for the bike when you get home will be enough until you have a little time to lube+clean better.

QE "local trails" are superb at the moment :D
    http://www.qecptrailcollective.co.uk
    09 SC Heckler, custom build
    RockLobster 853, custom build