Best road bike under £300

duffydotcom
duffydotcom Posts: 12
edited December 2012 in Road beginners
I'm looking to buy a road bike in January but since I'm obviously not wanting to set records I don't want to pay >£1000 for a carbon fibre frame etc. Anyone care to direct me to the best sub £300 road bikes. Thanks

Comments

• ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    Triban 3.
    £300 from Decathlon. Excellent reviews and voted best bike under £500 a few months ago.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Or the carrera tdf from halfords..
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Buy secondhand for value.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    As abiove the best sub £300 road bike is a second hand one.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • The best is the vintage 753, 531 or SL/SLX (etc) steel racer that you manage to snag on eBay or forum classified for a bargain price, but that takes some doing, knowhow and just a bit of pot luck. I've seen some very nice looking bikes go in that price range.

As a second best/compromise however, a used Specialized/Giant/etc might be available in that price range, or you could just get the Triban. You can only go so wrong if it's cheap; there's only so much you can expect!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Or single speed bike. Less components so everything is better quality. Some new ones around £300 but even better is s/H spec Lansgter or Kona Paddy Wagon. These are good bikes and you will get used to oine speed.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • I'm looking to buy a road bike in January but since I'm obviously not wanting to set records I don't want to pay >£1000 for a carbon fibre frame etc. Anyone care to direct me to the best sub £300 road bikes. Thanks

If you don't have a lot experience of bike maintenance or checking the condition of a used bike then something like a new Triban 3 might be your best option. You get a warranty and peace of mind by dealing with a big company.

Decent used bikes under £300 are rarer since TDF/Olympics in my opinion.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Without being rude or snobby could you not save for a little longer and look at around £500. Both new and secondhand at that price are going to offer a much better experience. Ask at your local bike shop if they know any of their customers who might be selling a cheap bike or ask on club pages on Facebook if any members are selling, you never know.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    TBH the best for under £300 (new) is really not worth having.

If you can save over the next few (bad weather anyway) months and get the budget upto £500 you will get a much better bike. Second hand that will net you a crca £1k, 2 year old bike.

I got my CAAD 5 for £320 in January this year but its 6 years old and you have to know what your looking at to avoid a dog.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • The Carrera TdF from Halfords is on a silly offer at the moment;

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65710#tab2

Yes, the snobs will decry the fact that it's a Carrera and from Halfords, but it's still a good amount of metal for the cash. It's also a good idea if you're not sure about road bikes and want to dip your toe in the water.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    The Carrera TdF from Halfords is on a silly offer at the moment;

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65710#tab2

Yes, the snobs will decry the fact that it's a Carrera and from Halfords, but it's still a good amount of metal for the cash. It's also a good idea if you're not sure about road bikes and want to dip your toe in the water.

It's certainly good value for money and Carreras a decent enough bike but the gearing is hardly beginner friendly. For £500 though the OP might be able to get 9sp Sora a compact chainset and a carbon fork.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    I'm looking to buy a road bike in January but since I'm obviously not wanting to set records I don't want to pay >£1000 for a carbon fibre frame etc. Anyone care to direct me to the best sub £300 road bikes. Thanks
    The only new road bike worth considering at that price is the Triban 3 from Decathlon. It's far better than the Carrera TDF from Halfords for numerous reasons including: it's lighter, it has a carbon fork, and it has better gearing for beginners (triple chainset). Stay well clear of everything else at that price.
  • bobones
    smidsy wrote:

If you can save over the next few (bad weather anyway) months and get the budget upto £500 you will get a much better bike.
    Sorry, this is absolute tosh. It might have been true a while ago, but the Triban 3 has changed the game and for £300 is as good as, if not better than, most mainstream road bikes at £500.
  • Triban 3 is certainly on the 'To me - From me' list for Xmas as first road bike! Can't wait!!!!! All reviews are superb - better than many at £500 mark. I've ridden one as was v impressed
    Triban 3
  • smidsy
    bobones wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

If you can save over the next few (bad weather anyway) months and get the budget upto £500 you will get a much better bike.
    Sorry, this is absolute tosh. It might have been true a while ago, but the Triban 3 has changed the game and for £300 is as good as, if not better than, most mainstream road bikes at £500.

Yes but you conveniently removed the bit I wrote about spending the £500 on a second hand bike.

I agree that £500 new will probably not get you any better than the £300 triban - but that was not what I was saying, is it!!!

If you are going to quote me at least quote me accurately.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • bobones
    smidsy wrote:
    bobones wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

Yes but you conveniently removed the bit I wrote about spending the £500 on a second hand bike.

I agree that £500 new will probably not get you any better than the £300 triban - but that was not what I was saying, is it!!!

If you are going to quote me at least quote me accurately.
    If you want to be understood (and quoted) correctly, don't put full stops in the middle of sentences! Here's what you wrote:

If you can save over the next few (bad weather anyway) months and get the budget upto £500 you will get a much better bike. Second hand that will net you a crca £1k, 2 year old bike.
    Anyway, the "best for under £300 (new) is really not worth having" part is far from true, and while the used market may be great for those with a bit of experience, it can be a minefield for newcomers who may prefer to buy new for the peace of mind, warranty and support that come with it.
  • MattyyP
    MattyyP Posts: 142
    I boosted my road bike budget by waiting for a couple of extra months, and managed to bag myself a steal in my eyes! A second hand 2011 Specialized Secteur Sport with RS30 wheels, good tyres and with a carbon seatpost! All in absolutely mint condition! I paid £495 including delivery, I really would not have done it differently looking back! It's amazing what bargains you can get on here second hand! But if you go down that route, go and have a ride on the bike you want to buy before parting with cash!
    Specialized Secteur Sport 2011
    B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
    B'Twin Rockrider 9.1
  • markos1963 wrote:
    Without being rude or snobby could you not save for a little longer and look at around £500. Both new and secondhand at that price are going to offer a much better experience. Ask at your local bike shop if they know any of their customers who might be selling a cheap bike or ask on club pages on Facebook if any members are selling, you never know.

It's not the fact I need to save, I could easy spend 1K on a bike. For my first road bike though I don't want to be throwing stupid money around. I've looked all over eBay but as someone else said I wouldn't really know what I'm looking for as far as quality
  • bobones wrote:
    The only new road bike worth considering at that price is the Triban 3 from Decathlon. It's far better than the Carrera TDF from Halfords for numerous reasons including: it's lighter, it has a carbon fork, and it has better gearing for beginners (triple chainset). Stay well clear of everything else at that price.

Another vote for the Triban. I've upgraded a few things since buying - seat, pedals and a shorter stem. But overall I'm very impressed. Perfect for a noob like myself.
  • smidsy
    markos1963 wrote:

It's not the fact I need to save, I could easy spend 1K on a bike. For my first road bike though don't want to be throwing stupid money around. I've looked all over eBay but as someone else said I wouldn't really know what I'm looking for as far as quality

Which is exactly why people are saying go better that the triban - you will only want to upgrade later. Even if you don't may as well get the best you can (it will sell better if you get fed up). Just my take on it FWIW.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    This is where I would be aiming my £300 at (since sold not surprisingly)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-A ... 7675.l2557
  • bobones
    smidsy wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

It's not the fact I need to save, I could easy spend 1K on a bike. For my first road bike though don't want to be throwing stupid money around. I've looked all over eBay but as someone else said I wouldn't really know what I'm looking for as far as quality

Which is exactly why people are saying go better that the triban - you will only want to upgrade later. Even if you don't may as well get the best you can (it will sell better if you get fed up). Just my take on it FWIW.

The Triban 3 is plenty good enough to find out if there's a love for cycling and it most certainly won't hold you back. If there is a desire for a better bike after a year or so then the Triban 3 becomes the winter/rain bike. That's not to say that the Triban 3 isn't worthy of a few upgrades here and there if upgraditis strikes - e.g. tyres, wheels, brake pads, but those are probably worth upgrading on most new bikes.

I'd don't think the people who are saying spend more realize how good a bike this is. It's better than most £500-600 bikes elsewhere and as good as some 3 times the price. Either that or the prejudice is pure bike snobbery.

Review here

By the way, I don't own one of these bikes, but I've ridden and inspected them up close and they are quality bits of kit. Frame built in Italy too!
  • to hijack thread but on triban 3 what do people think makes biggest difference upgrade wise?
    Triban 3
  • kilo
    kilo Posts: 174
    RobertSims wrote:
    to hijack thread but on triban 3 what do people think makes biggest difference upgrade wise?

I've got one as a winter commuter hack to replace a langster (my summer non race bikes are a ribble sportive and a roberts "clubmans" bike and am reasonably experienced) for an immediate upgrade; pedals don't really count as they are a given on any bike that doesn't come with spds, the saddle - stock one is terrible and in my case the stem which was too long. After that I may replace the tyres but as it's a commuter and it's winter so may not bother. Anything else and i'll wait till they wear out, the gears, brakes and chainset seem to be ok and the bars are quite nice
    I guess the most noticeable change would be the wheels and tyres but again unless you are going to do a sportive straight off or can get some bargain aksiums or the like I wouldn't rush to do this, the ones on it seem to be ok so far (but did have to slacken off the cones on the front a smidgen)

For under £300 I rate it as a good buy, i looked at the triban 5 but didn't think, for me personally, that was worth the extra £200 for carbon stays and sora. It's a winter hack for me an I cba'ed looking for a second hand bike but I can see with only minimal changes it being good enough for beginners to take them up to club run, beginners racing, club 10's etc. Having looked at and ridden a colleagues specialized secteur I don't see that being worth a couple of hundred quid more
  • that's great. thanks. out of curiosity what didn't you like about saddle or it just a case of different shapes suit different people?
    Triban 3
  • kilo
    kilo Posts: 174
    RobertSims wrote:
    that's great. thanks. out of curiosity what didn't you like about saddle or it just a case of different shapes suit different people?

It was the worst saddle I've ever had, usually i can sit on most stock ones and have about six different makes and models on my bikes at present but this one was weird, like some sort of banana shaped torture device- utter crap