Hobbit MTBing

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,391
edited December 2012 in MTB general
Hi Guys

Went and saw the hobbit this week (decent, tad too long, if you like the others, you ll like this one but Freeman will always be the guy from the office) and spent most of the film wowing at the scenery in the film

This is very much in the future and would require a lot of planning but does anyone know if there are companies that do MTB trips in New Zealand? To go all that way and only stay for a week would be crazy so I'd probably make it part of a longer trip, but some starting points would be decent..

Any ideas/experiences?

Thanks!
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    You know all that scenery is computer generated, don't you?
  • ddraver
    I did nt mean the bits in the goblin caves I confess.....

I mean bits like this

NZpic.jpg

or this

Mount-Cook-beautiful-scenery.jpg
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Oh god or this...
    Mount-Cook-the-national-Park.jpg
    - @ddraver
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's an awesome place. Good people as well
    Proud to be a Kiwi mate. Well part anyway (the nice bit)
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ddraver

Oh the hilarity

Thanks cooldad - man i ve found a subject you actually take seriously :wink: Have you ever ridden there?
    - @ddraver
  • cooldad
    Yup, but only on the North Island - I used to live in Auckland.
    South Island is unbelievably beautiful (the western mountainy side anyway) and I'm sure there's enough stuff to keep you going for a month or two.
    Auckland has a pretty good bike park, and there's excellent riding around Rotorua (plus bubbly mud, hot springs etc - smells like rotten eggs though)(plus has steam coming out of drains and cracks in the roads - very weird place), the Coromandel etc.
    If you get bored it's a short flight to Sydney, where you can ogle gorgeous topless types on Bondi Beach.

In fact the more I remember, the more I want to go back.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I know riders retreat have a chalet in queenstown now
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cooldad
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Of course going to Bondi would be "slumming it"
    Yeah I guess Obelisk Beach is more your style. Or are you a Lady Jane guy?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    cooldad wrote:
    I used to live in Auckland.

...and you moved to Bracknell??? :shock:

Fantastic place, did 3 weeks touring N & S Island with the mrs in a camper a few years ago... such great people none of the bylaw bullshit that stops you doing a lot of stuff here, didn't ride at the time but I can imagine the mtb would be pretty epic.
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • Jesus, if you book a trip out there, I may be more than happy to come as well. I've always wanted to hit NZ, but never had the motivation.
  • ddraver
    Hmm, It's a long way off clearly, but it looks like I may be spending 3, very sucky months in the desert early next year (Frustratingly, the best time to go probably) so I ll have a bit of money to spend and I want to do something good with it!
    - @ddraver
  • Newfish
    Newfish Posts: 121
    Jesus, if you book a trip out there, I may be more than happy to come as well. I've always wanted to hit NZ, but never had the motivation.

What would you like for motivation?!?

Possibly the most beautiful scenery you will experience anywhere, it's like a cross between all the best bits from Wales, Ireland, Scotland and England . Really friendly people. Good food. Easy access to every know extreme sport ever invented. I'd go back in a heart beat!
    Cheers,
    Simon.
    pilch wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    I used to live in Auckland.

...and you moved to Bracknell??? :shock:

Fantastic place, did 3 weeks touring N & S Island with the mrs in a camper a few years ago... such great people none of the bylaw bullshit that stops you doing a lot of stuff here, didn't ride at the time but I can imagine the mtb would be pretty epic.
    Needed to sort out family sh1t. I'll be going back when I can - best place to live, and I've lived in a few.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Newfish wrote:
    Jesus, if you book a trip out there, I may be more than happy to come as well. I've always wanted to hit NZ, but never had the motivation.

What would you like for motivation?!?

Possibly the most beautiful scenery you will experience anywhere, it's like a cross between all the best bits from Wales, Ireland, Scotland and England . Really friendly people. Good food. Easy access to every know extreme sport ever invented. I'd go back in a heart beat!

That traveling alone is just not worth it, but a group of cyclists would be.