Swapping XT m785 levers

hainman
hainman Posts: 699
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I bought the new brakes from merlin a while ago,they came euro style,which i was fully aware of but never came with any spare olives or anything else,
I was going to try and get used to themthat way round but think i'll probably swap them,Question is do you need to use new inserts/olives when re-connecting the cables??
I have done a few searches but not found a definitive answer...

Sorry if im being a pain..

Craig
Giant Reign 2
Crohnie

Comments

• Probably should but I would give it a go and see how you get on with the ones that are already fitted. That is unless you need to shorten the hoses.
  • hainman
    no need to shorten as i ordered 800mm front and 1350mm rear so just a swap round....
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope just undo the caps and swap. Might need a bleed though.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    You shouldn't even need to bleed if you're careful.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I swapped mine over without replacing olives or bleeding. It's a quick and painless job.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Here's the guide for shortening the hoses, but its the same principle - http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/ ... le.html/02)%20Brake%20Hose%20Trimming.pdf

I'm about to attempt it tonight with Deore M596's.
  • Greer_
    Don't know what happened to that link - I'll try and find another.

The link keeps breaking for some reason - just google 'shimano hose shortening' and it should be one of the first hits - it's a pdf on shimanos site.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Greer_ wrote:
    Don't know what happened to that link - I'll try and find another.

The link keeps breaking for some reason
    Go back and edit your first post inserting the whole link between the url tags - simples!

To swap hoses without shortening you don't need olives, simple procedure is...
    1/ Squeeze the lever a few times (pads in) to move the pistons out to put some excess fluid in the calipers
    2/ Swap levers being careful to lose as little fluid as possible (basic precautions)
    3/ Push the pistons back using the excess fluid to push any of the air now in the hoses back into the lever and out the operating part of the system
    4/ You can then top up the levers by just removing the caps if you want to.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • hainman
    Thanks for that The Beginner.sounds straight forward enough.

Will need to go get a wee bottle of fluid then just incase....

Better done connected to the bike??As the brakes are not on yet....Xmas pressy
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • You'll find it easier with the levers on the bars - Calipers dont matter so much but if you do as The Beginner said and move h pistons a touch first it wil be fine - I did that when I shortened the hoses on mine and I didnt need to bleed afterwards - really is a simple job, just an 8mm spanner required.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Connect the levers to the bars, leave the rest loose, leave the pads in for step 1 as it will stop you popping a piston right out...
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Greer_
    I slightly messed it up last night when I didn't tighten the hose properly and fluid leaked out so a bleed kit is now on its way from here. That's a week i've had off the bike now :( It really is that easy though, just make sure you tighten the hose enough!