• Vandiesel
    Vandiesel Posts: 506
    I want to be the same colour as you 8)

bikel.jpg

P1010671_zpsd29c102b.jpg
    Giant TCR Composite 3
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    I would have liked a white seat post though!
    I dont mind the blue, but I think yours may look better with black bar tape to match the saddle.

How are you finding the bike?
  • Vandiesel
    dwanes wrote:
    I would have liked a white seat post though!
    I dont mind the blue, but I think yours may look better with black bar tape to match the saddle.

How are you finding the bike?
    And I would of prefered a black seat post! Fancy a swap! Yeah agree on bar tape too and will be looking to change that soon along with brakes crank and BB.
    I love it albeit nothing to compare it with being my first road bike. I'm really getting a good feel for it now and looking at getting a few more miles done esp as its so much warmer!
    Giant TCR Composite 3
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    dwanes wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Vandiesel wrote:
    Updated pics a must please ;)

yes
    The updated pic is above. :?

oh, yes, sorry...
  • bstock
    bstock Posts: 34
    I bought the same bike just before Christmas.

DSC_0672_zpsa8f923c6.jpg

I am thinking of making similar upgrades; a hand built wheel-set and a stiffer, lighter chain-set (standard instead of the compact).

Except for the saddle, which I have changed to a selle italia sls, it is a fantastic first road bike. Very quick and surprisingly comfortable. Looks good too.
  • Vandiesel
    Another beauty!
    Giant TCR Composite 3
  • dwanes
    Update: I wanted some narrower handlebars as the original ones felt a little uncomfortable on climbs in particular, (which there are a lot of round here and I do most of my training on)
    So after some research went for some Deda zero 100 which are fairly compact and light.(a little more compact than the original)

In the process I swapped out the stem for a Deda Zero 2 but then required a slightly taller spacer to compensate for a shorter stem height, but the LBS only had silver ones.

20130409_183113.jpg
  • Vandiesel
    That looks sweet! Love to see the overall effect and how they sit.
    I've just reduced my stem with the Giant Connect and it's made a nice difference to reach.
    I really fancy a set of Aero bars like the Zip jobbies .
    Giant TCR Composite 3
  • Kingsmill1
    Kingsmill1 Posts: 103
    Just been viewing this post I just picked up my 2013 TCR Composite 2, I was looking at the 3 but the LBS said I wouldnt want to upgrade for some time riding the 2 as it had a pretty good spec 105,ultrega they changed the seat and added some SPD pedals ( sorry only have SPD cleats as my other bike has them) . I have been riding since September 12 and done 1600 miles since on a mixture of a hybrid and a allez sport. The allez was my first road bike and was generally quite happy with it but wanted something a bit quicker performance wise as my ability improved over the last 8 months. I had been looking at a Carbon for sometime but had considered an ALU bike but some of these were the same price as a Carbon for example a Pinnerello UNO about £1400. Picked up a few days ago due to work not had time to take it out since the test ride.
    Giant TCR Comp 2
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Mreckless
    Mreckless Posts: 214
    1FA7E207-1A31-45FC-A310-202C9D5D8305-1702-000000C37D3A4270_zps6390bcdc.jpg
    I like the 2012 colour. I wouldn't mind an all black stealth one as well.
  • dwanes
    Kingsmill, any chance of a photo? I would like to see what I missed out on.
  • Kingsmill1
    Kingsmill1 Posts: 103
    Sorry about the background for the photo no snow capped mountains where i live, I have had to raise an issue with the Shop as the paint appears to have cracked on the front fork where the brake capliper sits hopefully I can keep it until it goes in for its first check and tighten and Giant will replace the front forks or the LBS will touch up the paint ( but thats the last option i would go for)
    Giant TCR Comp 2
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Hi guys,

I am thinking of getting a TCR Comp but I would like to get your opinions on the ride itself. How was it? It is very responsive when you needed the acceleration? Is it a struggle when going up hill?

From the bike review, it mentioned it is not really a stiff bike, so I would like to get your inputs. Thanks y'all
  • dwanes
    Hi benkkc,

It is nearly coming up to a year since buying my TCR and I am still very happy with my choice (for the price I could afford).
    The main thing I changed was the chainset from Tiagra to Ultegra. The bike feels stiff enough. I am a pretty fit rider with plenty of power, climbing lots of long and steep hills round here around the Ribble area and the Yorkshire Dales, and I cant feel any flex from anywhere.
    It is responsive, but I guess this would come from the rider rather than the bike. Hill climbing is what I love so I don't struggle.

If I could have afforded the TCR Advanced then I would have bought that, and that still stands.

But as I said, I am still very happy with the TCR Composite, it looks fantastic and one thing I must point out is that the finish /Paint finish and general quality of the frame is absolute top notch, even though it has been used 3 times (120 miles) a week it still looks like new.
  • I think Giant have the most experience in composites for bikes and are likely - by dint of their resources alone- to be able to offer the best carbon frames. Not sure what the differences between a TCR and TCR advanced really are - in terms of every day performance - but one of these will be my next bike. Nice to see someone still happy after a year with a bike. My 20 year old Chas Roberts is nice (it's still my favourite bike), but it probably makes 2 of these.........
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    dwanes wrote:
    I have just weighed it, but the resolution of the scales were 0.5 kg increments and it weighed in at 9.0 kg so could be either side of that.
    So I will have to get hold of a set of more accurate scales from somewhere this weekend.

It is a M/L size frame, if anyone has already got a weight?

Bathroom scales. Stand on the scales without bike, note weight. Stand on scales with bike, note weight. Subtract without bike weight from with bike weight to leave the bike weight.
  • dwanes
    earth wrote:
    dwanes wrote:
    I have just weighed it, but the resolution of the scales were 0.5 kg increments and it weighed in at 9.0 kg so could be either side of that.
    So I will have to get hold of a set of more accurate scales from somewhere this weekend.

It is a M/L size frame, if anyone has already got a weight?

Bathroom scales. Stand on the scales without bike, note weight. Stand on scales with bike, note weight. Subtract without bike weight from with bike weight to leave the bike weight.

I have already posted this info a little later in the thread.

"dwanes wrote:
    I have just weighed my bike and it comes in at 8.26kg (18.2 lb) without pedals and cages. So about what I expected with my new wheels on. Not a lightweight, but still it is 'only' a £1200 bike."
  • cwpang
    cwpang Posts: 1
    hi, i saw the seat tube come with curve at the end near wheel, therefore i would like to know the length of the seatpost, i am just wonder with the curve shape at seat tube , how giant will going to design the set tube bar to fit into it
  • dwanes
    The seat post only goes down to the curve but it is long, If the saddle needs to to be quite low then you need to cut down the seat post as it is too long.

The seat post is long enough to have the saddle high. If it is not long enough then the bike must be too small.
  • hi, I am 5'3" tall. Do you have advice what size should I look for on this giant bike model?

I would think TT 51.5 and ST 43 would be suitable for me which is xs size. Next size is TT53.5 and ST 46 where TT too long for me. With ST43 cm, I may need to adjust seat post longer therefore I am afraid on the length of seat post with this curb design.

Since I haven't visit the bike shop yet, if would be appreciate if you could give some advice.
  • hi It would be nice if you could let me know the length of seat post from the seat post pin that you are riding , with this I could estimate the length of seat post
  • dwanes
    The seatpost length is about 37cm
  • really appreciate it. I think 37cm is long enough, as the minimum length need to be inside the seat tube is 8cm, with this, it has remaining 29cm to adjust which is long enough
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Kingsmill1 wrote:
    Sorry about the background for the photo no snow capped mountains where i live, I have had to raise an issue with the Shop as the paint appears to have cracked on the front fork where the brake capliper sits hopefully I can keep it until it goes in for its first check and tighten and Giant will replace the front forks or the LBS will touch up the paint ( but thats the last option i would go for)

tring aling a ding-dong-ding
  • dwanes
    For any weight weenies out there, or just for information:

I removed my forks to service the headset bearings and the weight of the full-composite forks are 510g (Giant TCR Composite 3 2013)
    After about a year of riding, the lower bearing was in a poor state.
  • Vandiesel
    dwanes wrote:
    For any weight weenies out there, or just for information:

I removed my forks to service the headset bearings and the weight of the full-composite forks are 510g (Giant TCR Composite 3 2013)
    After about a year of riding, the lower bearing was in a poor state.
    thanks for the heads up mate, is this just a poor component or weak spot? Is there an upgrade that we can go for or just like for like I wonder?
    Giant TCR Composite 3
  • dwanes
    I am looking into whether there is something more reliable and better quality, I think it is a combination of poorly sealed bearing and exposed area. The upper bearing was still in good condition so I don't need a full headset.
  • Mreckless
    Mreckless Posts: 214
    Full carbon overdrive 2 fork is a lot lighter