Ebay - groan

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited December 2012 in Commuting chat
just sold a bit of software on flea-bay (opened but not activated)

someone bought it an is now complaining that the license key isnt inside the box

i got a sneaking suspicion that they have bought it, activated it an is now sending it back

is there owt i can do?

i cant be arsed with selling stuff on ebay any more - paypal seem to favor the buyer an not the seller at all....

grr
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Probably not, your word against theirs and Paypal are entirely useless.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • 20/20 retrospect here, but copy down the key before you send the thing.
  • mudcow007
    marvelous!

yeah i should of made a note of the key but just didnt think i needed to, to be honest, i cant check with Adobe until i get the key back argh....

thanks chaps
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    mudcow007 wrote:
    marvelous!

yeah i should have made a note of the key but just didnt think i needed to, to be honest, i cant check with Adobe until i get the key back argh....

thanks chaps

You wont get the key back though. They'll probably take it out and claim that it wasn't sent :(

I'd do some googling to find out whether there is any way to make Paypal less useless in a dispute. I've had the problem with them before though when I sent someone something, then 3 months later they said it hadn't arrived, by which time I'd thrown away all the proof of delivery etc and Paypal just took my money. Had it been more than about a tenner I might've done something (/flapped uselessly)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • mudcow007
    dhope wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    marvelous!

yeah i should have made a note of the key but just didnt think i needed to, to be honest, i cant check with Adobe until i get the key back argh....

thanks chaps

You wont get the key back though. They'll probably take it out and claim that it wasn't sent :(

I'd do some googling to find out whether there is any way to make Paypal less useless in a dispute. I've had the problem with them before though when I sent someone something, then 3 months later they said it hadn't arrived, by which time I'd thrown away all the proof of delivery etc and Paypal just took my money. Had it been more than about a tenner I might've done something (/flapped uselessly)

guy just responded saying he found the key but he needs the disk to to work?!

it sold for over £100 :(

the buyer seems legit so fingers crossed when/ if i get it back i will stick it back on
  • Lots of software has trial versions and upgrades for download on the web. Can't he download it then use the key to assign appropriate licence?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • mudcow007
    Lots of software has trial versions and upgrades for download on the web. Can't he download it then use the key to assign appropriate licence?

already suggested but his reply was

"this is unsuitable for his requirements"

what ever that means.... :roll:
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    just purchased an OEM version of W7 via ebay and had an issue with the quality of the disc and whilst the seller was happy to burn a new disc, wouldnt accept returns once it was opened. Issue was resolved eventually, when I came to the conclusion that my DVD drive was dead and installed it via USB.

There the seller had taken an image of the number within the disc and stated that this was sufficient proof, although I'm not sure how that would have worked out if it had been an issue.
  • nick-gti
    nick-gti Posts: 131
    Download it yourself and send it to him on a memory pen.
    Ebay/Paypal will always go with the buyer and it's something they freely admit.
  • Once before someone did something similar to me, so I deleted all PayPal links to my bank account, ignored all PayPal emails, they set my account to "inactive" and stuck a -£80 balance on it asking me to pay it back. I never did and nothing more ever happened with the account....

Since then I put in all my eBay listings "Returns not accepted".
  • nick-gti
    nick-gti Posts: 131
    they now pass the "debt" to collections company and will pester the hell out of you with letters from solicitors