Bike almost stolen...

markchalmers
markchalmers Posts: 90
edited December 2012 in Commuting chat
So got back from the pub last night after going for a quick drink (around an hour) Come back to find my bike sideways on the lock-frame. Just as I was unlocking my bike the rozzers turned up asking if it was my bike and a few other questions . Turns out some knobs tried to steal my bike and was caught by one of the monitored CCTV cameras. One of the 10 guys was caught and placed in custody unfortunately for me they have destroyed most of my bike :evil:

They sliced my saddle to pieces, kicked my cassette in and cut all my cables and top it all off kicked my back wheel in tis the season to be jolly right!

Comments

• What a bunch of ***************************************************** (basically insert your own swear word)

I feel for you, but on the positive side it does show that where you were drinking has good Police response & CCTV camera coverage. Not that it does you any good with your ride in its present condition.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    So got back from the pub last night after going for a quick drink (around an hour) Come back to find my bike sideways on the lock-frame. Just as I was unlocking my bike the rozzers turned up asking if it was my bike and a few other questions . Turns out some knobs tried to steal my bike and was caught by one of the monitored CCTV cameras. One of the 10 guys was caught and placed in custody unfortunately for me they have destroyed most of my bike :evil:

They sliced my saddle to pieces, kicked my cassette in and cut all my cables and top it all off kicked my back wheel in tis the season to be jolly right!

If they did all that, what part of the bike were they hoping to end up with? :?

Gutted for you though.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • I think they did it out of pure anger that they couldn't get past my lock?!
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    but you know one of them at least :-)
  • zx6man wrote:
    but you know one of them at least :-)

I don't know who he is?

I don't even know if they will ever tell me unless it went to court (which it wont).

Anyone know if its possible to claim the repairs back at all?
  • If they charge him, see about making a small claims judgement against him. Might work. Even if he's on the dole he'll know doubt have full £40pcm Sky, smoke 200 fags a day etc, etc so will have loads of disposable income.

Even if you get nowt it'll make his life a little more inconvenient in the short term.
  • GuyCope wrote:
    If they charge him, see about making a small claims judgement against him. Might work. Even if he's on the dole he'll know doubt have full £40pcm Sky, smoke 200 fags a day etc, etc so will have loads of disposable income.

Even if you get nowt it'll make his life a little more inconvenient in the short term.

How do I go about doing this and is there a cost behind it for me?
  • mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    Sorry to hear that. I hope you managed to get something back from this.

I watched someone try to steal a bike a few months ago, I was eating away at a cafe. I waited til I knew he wasnt the owner and walked up to him and said is this your bike? He then ran off. Did my good deed for that day.
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    10 guys? :o

Will you be able to claim the money back off him?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jds_1981 wrote:
    10 guys? :o

Will you be able to claim the money back off him?

Yeah the policeman said that there 10 trying to get at my bike all I can say is I am very happy with my bike lock :)
  • I've got an idea. Let's lock this scrote at the place he tried to relieve you of your bike, and let's see if 10 of us can unlock him. :twisted:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I've got an idea. Let's lock this scrote at the place he tried to relieve you of your bike, and let's see if 10 of us can unlock him. :twisted:

Errr... thats the most irresponsible idea and negative response ever. When we doing it?
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    gutted for you buddy

what was the bike?

an more importantly what was the lock you were using?

would insurance cover damages to bikes from attempted robberies?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • A Merida CX4

and a Kryptonite NYC M18
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    mudcow007 wrote:
    would insurance cover damages to bikes from attempted robberies?

Certainly some do - check your policy.
  • vermin

Bad luck.

Depending upon the strength of the evidence available, you might be able to make a civil claim against the fool and costs should be minimal as it would be a small claim. It will obviously be easier to make something stick if the police pursue it, so badger them relentlessly to press charges.

But if all that fails, I'm with walkingbootweather.

PS, where was it?
  • vermin wrote:

Bad luck.

Depending upon the strength of the evidence available, you might be able to make a civil claim against the fool and costs should be minimal as it would be a small claim. It will obviously be easier to make something stick if the police pursue it, so badger them relentlessly to press charges.

PS, where was it?

I'm new to this so what do I do just ring them and badger them with the progress of the case?

And it was in Portsmouth Town center.
  • vermin
    Basically, yes.

It would probably be worth your while speaking to your local CAB and getting some advice from them. They should be able to advise you on the options available and guide you through the process.
  • Ok thanks Vermin :-D

Just getting to and from work is the problem now. 25 miles on foot I don't think so. I guess this why N+1 is a good rule to live by.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    vermin wrote:

Bad luck.

PS, where was it?

I'm new to this so what do I do just ring them and badger them with the progress of the case?

And it was in Portsmouth Town center.
    My sister is with the police in Portsmouth. I wonder if she was one of the one's who you spoke to? If you want, PM me and if we can work out it was I'll ask her about it and try and keep it moving on their side.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • vermin
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    My sister is with the police in Portsmouth. I wonder if she was one of the one's who you spoke to? If you want, PM me and if we can work out it was I'll ask her about it and try and keep it moving on their side.

like_ink_stamp_md_wm.jpg
  • Yeah that sounds great I would love to keep things on my side Ill PM you in a bit.
  • Just to update I had a call from the officer that caught one of the 10 guys. He has been charged with attemped robery of a bike (cant remember the full name :/) which is good I hope he learns his lesson. Here is the best bit thought the father contacted the officer saying that he runs a bike shop and he would rectify any damages. What I don't understand about this is that hes trying to steal bikes when his dad owns a shop, unless it's one of the dodgy ones were all the stock is stolen?

Now I think my best plan of action is to get my bike looked at by LBS I purchased the bike from get a quote for parts and labor then take that to the father and get him to complete the work. My Main issue here is that unless hes a Merida dealer (doubt he is) is that he wont be able to get the original parts that I had E.G Merida saddle and also my frame is scratched to sh*t could I get a new frame added to the quote?
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    "Equivalent quality or better".
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • "Equivalent quality or better".

I wouldn't mind getting some ultegra stuff over my 105 but then I'd also like to keep my bike stock how it iss when I brought it...........a month ago.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Sounds like the father might be someone genuinely trying to make amends. Worth a go, providing the police think the bike shop isn't dodgy. If you know the name of the shop you can do some research too and check they've got a decent reputation.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Isn't Wiggle in Portsmouth!!!!! You don't think? :shock:
  • Surely it can't be their fault. Not this time.
  • Wrath Rob wrote:
    Sounds like the father might be someone genuinely trying to make amends. Worth a go, providing the police think the bike shop isn't dodgy. If you know the name of the shop you can do some research too and check they've got a decent reputation.

I'm not allowed to know the dad made the request via the police and the police spoke to me. I still haven't heard anything about it I don't know when I will but If I haven't heard anything by the new year I will be taking his son to small claims court as I'm not paying because he trashed my bike.

And yeah Wiggle is about 30 mins from my house.