Web Browsers

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited December 2012 in The hub
What web browsers you lot using?

I liked Chrome until last week when it decided to corrupt so none of my settings now work. Seems to be a bug, tried installing again but same issue - the interwebs tells me I have to wait for an update which has not yet had a release date.

So, what to use?

Comments

• MTBUK
    MTBUK Posts: 146
    I use the best one... of course.... Mozilla Firefox ..... didn't realize there were any others worth having :S
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Firefox since it came out, before that Netscape Navigator, which was the original basis for Firefox, kind of.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Wooooooowww... Firefox is bloody slow!
  • Used most of them. I was once a great fan of Firefox and stayed loyal for years, but that started to get bloated with extras, soon it became very slow. Then I was an Opera fan, which again started nice and fast, but when they upgraded it, it became bloated and most of the menus and tools changed so i had to relearn. I now use Chrome, but have a feeling it's becoming the bloatware. I still use IE now and again, which i still like and it's pretty fast on my machine. All I want is a fast browser with few bells and whistles.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Wooooooowww... Firefox is bloody slow!

Really? I use both and find the speed difference to be marginal. Chrome seems to be getting bloatier and slower and Firefox seems to be getting a bit slicker and faster. Stick with Firefox mainly as Chromes interface is just so annoying with lots of little bugbears (the relative insecurity of gestures and the use of javascript being just a few).
  • Gone back to safari... the dullest of dull browsers. But its quick.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    firefox is slow

not on linux it isn't
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edhornby wrote:
    firefox is slow

not on linux it isn't
    This
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Chrome here. Much faster than Firefox ever was and i used that for 4 years.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    cooldad wrote:
    edhornby wrote:
    firefox is slow

not on linux it isn't
    This

Should of pointed out i was using Linux version as i didn't realize there was a difference between the Windows and Linux version. Is the windows version really that slow?
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Firefox used to be good and has gradually got worse over the years.

I just use ie now, been totally issue free since i went back to it
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Chrome here. Much faster than Firefox ever was and i used that for 4 years.

Same here - Firefox takes an age to startup. Chrome is slick and plays nicely with all my Google stuff (of course!)
  • Newfish
    Newfish Posts: 121
    Other than the one person using Safari (which I assume is a mac) is everyone else on PC's?

Personally I use Safari (mac) and it does what it is supposed to. Before I moved from PC's it was always firefox, but it is epically slow on my mother in laws machine.

I don't understand why people want so much stuff on their browser. The new safari has a address bar/search bar as one thing so you don't have the annoying google bit on the right and the rest on the left. Works really well. then the book marks bar then the tabs. What more does one need?
    Cheers,
    Simon.
    Newfish wrote:
    I don't understand why people want so much stuff on their browser. The new safari has a address bar/search bar as one thing so you don't have the annoying google bit on the right and the rest on the left. Works really well. then the book marks bar then the tabs. What more does one need?

I find safari is just the job for me, got everything I want from a browser. On the PC I used to use firefox but not done so for a good 5 or 6 years now so have no idea what it's like anymore really. At uni we're restricted to IE and to be fair, it's not exactly slow, there's just bits of it I can't stand, probably because I'm not really used to it.
  • Gone back to safari... the dullest of dull browsers. But its quick.

Fark, I detest Safari...

I use Firefox, it works and it's quick on a non-Windoze system, plus it has some useful Plugins
    Chrome, well, not really impressed with it to be honest
    IE, using it now on a Windoze machine @ work, it's improved over the revisions, but it's only as good as the OS it's run on, so it's shyte...
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I use Firefox, tbh not sure why people think it's slow? Just done a clean windows install and it's faster than IE, and more or less the same as Chrome. Only real difference is in the ergonomics, I get to what I want faster with Firefox than Chrome because it's compatible with my brain whereas Chrome is weird.

If you close Firefox with loads of tabs open then reinstate them all, it's dog slow though. My solution is to not do that.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Anything that isn't IE! Used google chrome on my pc but now I have a mac I use safari. I didn't like safari for windows as my settings kept getting messed up :/
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Newfish wrote:
    The new safari has a address bar/search bar as one thing so you don't have the annoying google bit on the right and the rest on the left. Works really well.
    That would be like every browser for the last couple of years then...

Northwind wrote:
    If you close Firefox with loads of tabs open then reinstate them all, it's dog slow though. My solution is to adjust my behaviour and expectations to make up for the shortcomings of the software
    FTFY. Isn't that just what we all spend our time doing on the computer?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Not really an expectation is it? It's not a useful thing to do, and it only happens if you restore session rather than starting a new one...

I've got about 5 million tabs open right now, if I didn't start from a clean slate every time, I'd have the entire internet on my browser in a matter of days, and ain't nobody got time for that.

Only reason I mention is, is that it's the only time Firefox is notably slow.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Newfish
    bompington wrote:
    Newfish wrote:
    The new safari has a address bar/search bar as one thing so you don't have the annoying google bit on the right and the rest on the left. Works really well.
    That would be like every browser for the last couple of years then...

Really??

Every browser I have used other than the most recent (3 months ago or so) of safari has had the address bar and the search bar as two different bits. Address bar to the left and google bar to the right.
    Cheers,
    Simon.
    Newfish wrote:
    Every browser I have used other than the most recent (3 months ago or so) of safari has had the address bar and the search bar as two different bits. Address bar to the left and google bar to the right.
    Chrome -> one address/search box from the start
    IE -> ditto since IE9 in about march last year
    etc.

Or is the problem that you weren't aware that there were browsers in existence outside the Apple walled garden?
  • Newfish
    haha, no I am not blinded by apple. I like my products to work out of the box with no need to fettle and adjust them, and items that I buy to work seamlessly with my computer, phones tablets etc.

Since Jobs died though, they have seriously gone downhill.. we digress. :D
    Cheers,
    Simon.

duckduckgo........
    No clutter, No tracking
    Rather than me bang on about it have a look

http://duckduckgo.com/about.html
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    using IE6.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    lol ^
  • Firefox with adbloc plus
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Firefox Turbo + is so fast , not available to the general public though.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    ie10 on one laptop, ie9 on the big desktop.
    Chrome on the other laptop, which I use most.
    Opera on another laptop I have lying around.
    Firefox on the Linux box. It's painstakingly slow, I really should find something else, but I don;t use it for much.

Used to be a firefox fan, not anymore.
    See, I'm not racist, I just hate everything.