Which bike to buy? 4 options and £500 to spend!

flanker118
flanker118 Posts: 9
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
I am looking at getting a bike through my bike to work scheme for my daily commute.
The commute involves a bit of road and the main part through woods and dirt with a bit of rough ground.
Its about 10 miles round trip.
The bike would also be used to pull my daughter in a tag-a-long carriage sometimes too.
I have £500 as a budget and am looking at a Felt Nine 70, Saracen Mantra, Scott Aspect 640 and a Canondale Trail S L 5.
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated as I'm not familiar with components and specs to these bikes.
Personally I like the Felt as to me it looks the best. But function over looks as I want a durable entry level mtb in my budget.
Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Do you have links to these bikes? Are you limited to a shop or these models?
  • Canondale http://www.evanscycles.com/products/can ... 2#features

Saracen http://www.saracen.co.uk/bikes/trail/mantra

Felt http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Felt-Nine-70-Mo ... _57389.htm

Scott http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sco ... 8#features

I prefer the felt for looks but the specs confuse me. I am restricted to Cycle solutions.
    I have looked on the site and I want the bike to have hydraulic brakes as I've been told they are less maintenance.
    These are the ones I have picked out from the list as I don't really fancy any of the others.
  • supersonic
    The Felt has the worse spec there - and the worst fork, a truly horrible unit that will ruin your ride offroad.

The other three are quite similar, the Saracen been built for slightly more taxing off road riding. Cannondales have great frames at this price.
  • Wow I almost went for that Felt too ha!
    Thanks for that, what would you say is the best for off road and occasional road use?
    Saracen or the Cannondale perhaps then?
  • supersonic
    I'd actually try the Scott out lol. Has some nice Shimano parts, especially as is 9 speed rather than 8 speed.
  • Awesome I might go that way then perhaps, unfortunately the only real experience I've had is with a second hand Specialized hardrock I think it was and that was a good 5/6 years ago.
    So the Scott is better than the Saracen?
  • supersonic
    Value wise it is, but it might not fit you better - see if you can at least sit on the three bikes.
  • Ah now there is the problem! They have to be ordered through the website and we cant try them out which is a bit harsh.
    I dont know my inside leg measurement but I am 6ft2/3.
    My last bike i cycled from Reading to Paris over 3 days with no serious issues was a Raleigh Airlite 100 road bike frame size was 59cm so I think 23inch?
    Does that sound about right? I don't want to end up with the wrong bike but I have 4 days to pick one! However any suggestions would be welcome in that price range if you know of anything good!
    The other issue is due to a separation my access to my daughter is limited and I need some transport other than taxis and bus as they're bleeding me dry lol.
  • flanker118 wrote:
    Ah now there is the problem! They have to be ordered through the website and we cant try them out which is a bit harsh.
    I dont know my inside leg measurement but I am 6ft2/3.
    My last bike i cycled from Reading to Paris over 3 days with no serious issues was a Raleigh Airlite 100 road bike frame size was 59cm so I think 23inch?
    Does that sound about right? I don't want to end up with the wrong bike but I have 4 days to pick one! However any suggestions would be welcome in that price range if you know of anything good!
    The other issue is due to a separation my access to my daughter is limited and I need some transport other than taxis and bus as they're bleeding me dry lol.

A good way to measure inside leg is to get a book and stick it up between tyour legs whilst standing against a wall. The wall will make sure the book is horizontal to the floor. Simply take a measure from the top of the book and you get an accurate measurement.

Then id give Evans a call and talk to someone or look on the manufacturers website for measurements.
  • I didn't have any problem with the Airlite which was 22/23.
    If I got on well with the Airlite I assumed this would be a similar size to opt for. I also looked on the websites and the frames all seem to be the right size for what I need.
    I'm just concerned that with such a lack of knowledge and seeing the bikes as I cant get around easily as its just me here lol i could end up with a melon!
  • Aside from the Felt non of the bikes are crap so worst case is you get one too small and have to change it. (even the felt isnt crap) The Scott, being 9 speed, will be easier to upgrade and replace parts as the standard these days is 9 speed. The others are fine too! I love the look of the saracen but its not going to be as nice on the road as the others.

I would be careful using road bike sizing for mountain biking.
  • So70\'sPenguin what would you pick? And why? My Dad rides a Giant Talon or Revel I forget which from 2010 and I love riding that bike when I go back home to see my family. Now I don't mind a bit of extra work on the road because all it can do is increase fitness if effort required is more! I wont be at this time going a very very long way, maybe 15 miles tops at any one time. Also I can lock out the sus on these can't I so that might make life a bit easier on road anyway?
    So far it's looking like the Scott has the general vote! Are the forks OK on this one do you think?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    flanker118 wrote:
    Ah now there is the problem! They have to be ordered through the website and we cant try them out which is a bit harsh.
    You can - go to a bike shop and sit on them. Then order online.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • It's a bit difficult for me to get around here at the moment as I have no other means of transport other than walking and occassional bus as my moneys run out and what I have left I need to Get taxis to see my daughter! So I'm hoping i could do it without a long excursion and difficult transport situation.
  • Personally? Personally id get the Saracen. Why? Cus i like the look of it and think it would be the most fun to ride!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Be careful on sizing, I have ridden a 22" on the road but my MTB is a 16" (I'm 5'10" with a short inside leg), smaller gives you room to move about on the bike which is essential offroad, Inside leg as an irrelevant measure, you have massive adjustment on the seatpost, where you have limited adjustment is on the cockpit length from saddle to grips and that is the size that matters.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    Not always the same either, some measure the seat tube differently, and then there is the rest of the geometry to look at.
  • PKCool
    PKCool Posts: 1
    Size of the frame is one thing.

I like to have a smaller frame with a longer reach on the handle bar stem. I found this a better set up for me with having a long back.

From a personal view.. Bike setup is more important than getting the right size frame.

Body geometry is different from person to person also to what they feel comfortable to ride.

As placing cleats on the shoes. Due to serious injury I found having the cleats further back on the shoe better and I have a stronger peddle stroke.

The best option even though it’s not good for the shop business to a sit and try.. Remember you should be able to feel comfortable without stretching to far.. Saddle height and placement is also import to ensure the knee is in the proper position wen riding. Simple rule (Not in all cases…) is that if you have pain in the front of the knee the saddle could be too low or to forward. Hence if pain in the back of the knee then too high or too far back on the saddle rail. You may have the saddle in the right position for the legs.. Don’t forget the upper body… The upper body is about getting hips, back and shoulders in correct position.

All the best.. 8)
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    For what you want it for I'd take the Saracen out, slacker and more travel than the rest, not needed for commuting and towing your daughter along.