Knee pain.

Newfish
Newfish Posts: 121
edited December 2012 in Health, fitness & training
Hello chaps and chapesses,

I have an interesting one that has me stumped.

Recently I have started getting a pain in my left knee. It feels the same as the you get when a joint needs to click. The last two times it has actually been sorted by clicking my knee. The first time it took a few hours, last one took 2 days, I now have it again after my ride today and its not gone yet.

The cure once it hurts isn't what I'm after, it's the cause. Could it be that my spd is set up slightly wrong and causing my knee to twist? Or is it something that could be wrong with the knee?

I haven't done anything to it, ie fall off, but have recently started doing more miles in one ride. 10 -15 miles twice a week to 20 miles 2-3 times a week. Today it started to hurt after 11 miles or so, and got really bad when I stopped at some traffic lights.

Any ideas?
Cheers,
Simon.

Comments

• nick-gti
    nick-gti Posts: 131
    possibly say your spd's are maybe set to tight not allowing your knee to move in a more natual range of motion.
    I get a similar pain if i use a rowing machine for a long time with my feet in a fixed position

maybe try one ride with some flat pedals see if your knee hurts at all
  • Newfish
    Thanks for the reply, I don't have any flats, but can move the cleat, which I plan to do anyhow to see if it makes any difference.
    Cheers,
    Simon.
    Also check your saddle height - if your knee is not given a chance to extend properly it will start complaining.
  • nick-gti
    nick-gti Posts: 131
    could also work the other way as well saddle is to high and your knee is locking out
  • Newfish
    Saddle height isn't a problem as it hasn't moved since I set the bike up when I bought it. The only thing I have changed is how tight the spd's are, but that was some time ago. I'm fairly sure it is the spd's, but thought I'd ask anyhow. Also, someone else might have the same problem and not asked yet, you never know.

Thanks for the replies peeps.
    Cheers,
    Simon.