3k do it all bike?

EX DH
EX DH Posts: 194
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
Bearing in mind i used to ride DH and have been a rodie for the past three years i want some thing that can do most stuff. Looking to race a few enduros in the next couple of years too.

Been looking at
http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes ... tml?b=3050
http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/five_am/
any info would be great.

Comments

• MTBUK
    MTBUK Posts: 146
    Orange 5's are a bit heavy and rattly for me...... I got rid of mine and brought a Rose. Canyons offer great spec, for great prices... I had a look at a few, the only thing that put me off was the fact i couldn't find anywhere to get sized up properly, or take one for a quick spin...... as they're a direct seller...
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • EX DH
    edited December 2012
    Not too fussed about a test ride, bought my DH bike with out testing and was spot on( i do a lot of research first) size wise i know what i'd get. I can fix most things too so not fussed about not having a shop to go to. If something breaks no matter where you buy from chances are there not going to just swap it there and then anyway.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Well, unsurprisingly the 5 would get my vote :D

Mine is about 27lbs and handles everything from xc racing to downhill stuff in the Alps. If I could only have one bike, that would be it. Not sure I would pay the shop price for one though (mostly because I am stingy) - I got a 'last years stock' frame and built it up as I wanted it :D

It's true, they do rattle a lot though :?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Canyons are excellent value for money, you won't find more bang for your buck brand new (if you're not fussed about not trying before you buy). Sounds like a Strive would suit your intended purpose. A mate has one and really likes it, plus the kit you get for the money is mental.

If you're up for going second hand look at a Santa Cruz Nomad, which you can probably get for £2k (or less for a Mk 1). I love mine, which is a Mk 1.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I'm sorry, but at damn near £3k that 5 is an absolute joke! :shock: Slx mechs, deore shifters and basic fox fork and shock, no dropper post and a couple of old girders for a frame... How on earth can they charge that much, its insane, still not quite as insane as the muppets who will no doubt buy one for whatever insane reason they come up with... :roll:

Stretch the budget abit, and providing you could ride a medium which is fine for me at 6ft, this is a serious bike for the money.

http://www.awcycles.co.uk/ibis-mojo-hd- ... -2012.html

Top of the range Kashima fox fork and shock, full xt drivetrain and formula brakes and a cutting edge carbon frame, its a stunning deal for an amazing bike.

If you don't fancy that then canyon are a good bet are YT Industries wicked, the LTD is an astonishing bike for the money
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    And the Orange comes with an extremely basic wheelset.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    My choice would be the new Nukeproof Mega TR. https://twelve50bikes.com/shop/MTB-Full ... -Bikes/584
    Light but built to take a beating and good value. Nukeproof's service is excellent. They are a little more expensive than the equivalent from Canyon but you can buy one from a local shop and you can get most spares (from mech hanger up to a rear triangle) next day. I wouldn't spend £3k on a bike which I cant get spares for within a day or two from my local shop.
    The Orange does have poor components for the money but it is a great ride, I would buy one if they didn't sound like a sack of spanners.
  • bennett_346
    Why are they noisy out of curioscity?
  • Why are they noisy out of curioscity?
    They're hollow... like old Saracens.
  • bennett_346
    Hollow as in monocoque?
  • Hollow as in monocoque?

Yeah, the rear swingarm gives that definitive 'built in a shed' sound.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    But they are good bikes!* I know everyone slates then and yes they do sound terrible, but in my opinion the positives outweigh the negatives.... I also agree that the shop-bought spec is crap, hence I would always suggest getting the frame and custom building it yourself.

*and now I'll wait for the obligatory all- the- gear-no -idea comments...
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • bennett_346
    They probably are. Everyone who owns one seems to like it so they must be doing something right. Since i've never ridden one myself i have no prejudice against or for them.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What makes a bike 'good' or fun is rather subjective. My old single pivot saracen that cost 300 quid was great fun and rode nice - was just too heavy. As is a 99 quid BMX. And that is my problem wit the 5, is just too heavy and underspecced for the cash, and the pedal kickback when climbing through ruts is horrendous.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I got a YT Wicked 160 ltd, it's a great all round bike. Canyon Strive also looks good
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • For 3 grand you could build the weapon of your choice......if you shop around there's so good deals to be had on frames.

Freeborn have some good deals on Devinci Dixon's at the mo. Climbs well and goes down like stink.
  • bennett_346
    For 3k i'd have two bikes anyway, something DH ish and something more cross country. IMO there is no do it all bike as theyre too much of a compromise.
  • lawman
    supersonic wrote:
    What makes a bike 'good' or fun is rather subjective. My old single pivot saracen that cost 300 quid was great fun and rode nice - was just too heavy. As is a 99 quid BMX. And that is my problem wit the 5, is just too heavy and underspecced for the cash, and the pedal kickback when climbing through ruts is horrendous.

This is my argument against it having ridden one, compared to others it is heavy, underspecced and under-whelming, I've never ridden a 5 and thought, "wow, this just blew me away". As Sonic says it is subjective, but there are numerous bikes, indeed bikes of similar weight to the 5, most notably for me a Cove Hustler, that have given me that wow factor when I've tried them. Of all the bikes I've ridden, only 4 or 5 have really blown me away and surprised me.
  • lawman
    Theres also the thing with 5 owners always being positive, they're hardly going to slag off their over-priced girder are they, cos then they really would look stupid.
  • bennett_346
    lawman wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

This is my argument against it having ridden one, compared to others it is heavy, underspecced and under-whelming, I've never ridden a 5 and thought, "wow, this just blew me away". As Sonic says it is subjective, but there are numerous bikes, indeed bikes of similar weight to the 5, most notably for me a Cove Hustler, that have given me that wow factor when I've tried them. Of all the bikes I've ridden, only 4 or 5 have really blown me away and surprised me.
    Thing is a bike doesn't have to be the best in its class for a given price point to be the one you like the most.

If that was the case we'd all drive ford mondeos, eat weetabix for breakfast and paint our houses magnolia!
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    For that sort of money you should at least consider a Trek Fuel.

Otherwise the normal marques pop up, Spesh, Whyte, Marin and Scott
  • EX DH
    Can't be arsed building my own did that with the DH bike(had a factory Sunday full custom build and colour) I deffo want a new bike(prob the last bike I'll be buying for a long time) I've looked at a nukeproof and wasn't taken with it. Orange have a great reputation and it surely can't be as noisy as a 223! Trek looks nice but fancy something a bit different , I can't talk the wife into letting me spend much more than 3 grand or I'd have a ibis in a breath!
  • this is where my 3 grand would be going......http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=83517
  • lawman
    this is where my 3 grand would be going......http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=83517

The commencal's look great and ride very well, but they still don't give you enough for the cash imo. I think its extortionate that nowadays if you buy from a major brand, the majority of the time you get a drivetrain from a bike that cost £600 2 years previous, I mean x5 shifters and x7 mechs and own brand finishing kit on a near 3 grand bike? It just feels abit silly really.
  • That Canyon in the first post looks a nice spec.
  • I am biased I know but there has been no mention of one of these yet.....

http://www.escapebikeshop.com/santa-cruz-blur-lt.html

and thats a pretty nice price too for a very sexy bike with a good spec and top knotch alloy frame.

I realise that there are probably lighter 140mm bikes around now but a Blur LT will handle pretty much everything and could easilly be ridden in enduro's or out in the alps.

Mine still makes me smile from ear to ear every time I take it out.
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    The mojo or the Blur LT for a 26" dont think you can go wrong with either, the mrs has a Blur, she's quite quick on it for a girl :wink:

However, as I like big wheels the Titus Rockstar is my choice over either of those...
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • Not sure you can get much 'do it all' than this "What makes it so unique, though, are the ridiculously wide 4.7" tires on 100mm rims, which let you tackle all types of terrain — including gravel, sand, snow, rocks, and, perhaps, even the lunar surface."

http://uncrate.com/stuff/surly-moonlander-bike/
  • bennett_346
    Really wouldn't fancy a rigid as a do it all bike.