Front brake mount

pesky_jones
pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Im not entirely sure about this one and it is probally is a bone question

I have a pair of manitou sherman forks, post mount. The front brake is an avid juicy three. I bought the bike whole second hand and the front brake was mounted to the fork with a bracket. I looked at the SRAM technical manual a while ago and saw that with the post mount, no bracket is needed, but the brake was working fine with nothing wrong so i took the approach 'if its not broke, dont fix it'.

However, there is now sometimes a slight judder when slowing down, near to being stationary. Its hardly anything but i was wondering if this could be the reason?

Comments

• its a disc size thing, you need the bracket
  • pesky_jones
    its a disc size thing, you need the bracket

Cheers, thats what i thought just by looking at it... I just find it odd that it says pretty definitevly that a bracket is not needed with a post mount in the SRAM manual. It seems that whether a bracket is needed or not is dependant on the rotor size, opposed to the style of mount. Am I reading it wrong?

brake_zps70bb0bb5.jpg
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you run a 160mm disc, no bracket is needed, you're probably running a 180mm and so the disc would be right through the caliper unless you space it out to suite - blindingly obvious really.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pesky_jones
    Yeah i have got 180s. Yeah i guess it is very obvious. I just assumed that a technical manual would not base its instructions on the premise that people using the manual would ignore a definitive instruction, on the basis that it is obvious.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It is badly worded, depends on how old it is, when discs first came in 160F 140R was the norm....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.