Pls Help

godzeus
godzeus Posts: 25
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
My rear tire has shifted to far on one side. Now when i ride the tire is scraping on the frame. I have a 2.1 Schwalbe Smart Sam so there is half as much room as usual but still should be enough. I tried releasing the quick release and adjusting it that way but didn't have much luck. Any advice?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Either the wheel is not sitting in the driopouts properly, ofr it's jiggered, probably the former.

Remove the QR skewer completely and make sure the rear wheel axle is sat in the dropout both sides properly.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • godzeus
    godzeus Posts: 25
    edited December 2012
    will do. thanks. ill post back on the progress :)

EDIT:
    I think i might have found out what the problem is.
    IMG: http://www.i.imgur.com/g2ZgF.jpg
    I'm guessing this spring should be stuck there :D
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Axle boken?
  • ok so i removed the spring and put the tire back. I tried shifting it to the center and i did some kind of a difference. But here is something i figured when i went back on it. I found out that the tire is scraping only when i push the pedals. So when i apply force to the pedals the tire shifts in one direction. The more i push the pedal the more the tire shifts and the more it scrapes the rim.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    It's an easy mistake to make but the springs have to go on either side of the axle with the narrower part of the spring facing inwards, towards the hub
  • I don't think the problem is in the missing spring on one side at the moment :/
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Spring mkes no difference - you don't even need them, they just push the QR open when you loosen it.
    So loose hubs/cones, or stuffed wheel.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • so.. i need to replace the hub?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No you need to work out what's wrong and sort it out.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    before you can fix it you need to know definitively what the problem is. Basically what cooldad has said. If you just start replacing things it can be costing you a lot of money, while the problem still exits. Speaking from expierience :)

Do you know that your wheel is true? if you spin the wheel and have a pencil with the tip held to the rim, you can see if its spinning true. That can eliminate the wheel beeing effed and you can move on to investigating hubs etc.
  • The tire spins in a 8 but it's hardly noticeable. This is something i knew way b4 this problem started and i was going to fix it but it it's hardly noticeable so never got around to do it. Figured i would do that the same time i take the bike to the shop for something else. So yea 100% sure problem is not there.

At this point i think taking it to the shop would be a good idea :/
  • The Rookie
    So have you looked at the axle in the dropout, need to do it side on so your practically loking through the skewer hole - phot's each side if you can....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    the wheel/tyre should sit symmetrically within the frame - remove the wheel, flip it over and see how much clearance there is between tyre and the stays (obviously you will not be able to ride the bike).

either the gaps are the smae meaning the frame/drop outs are jiggered or the problems is with the wheel/tyre.

if it is the latter, then check the distacen between the rim and the fame - it may be the tyre has seated iselft badly but you havre Scahwalbe and I have foudn they are one of the better makes for sitting nicely on the rim.
  • sounds like either a loose cone or a broken axle.
    take the q/r skewer out of the axle and see if both ends of the axle are connected. if they are not, its a broken axle, if they are, its the cones.
  • The Rookie
    Sounds to me like one side just isn't going into the drop out properly....

With the wheel out is there any play between the rotating part of the hub and the axle?
  • At this point the tire is jammed to the side of the frame :D
    I was "F** this" and called the shop. Ill take it there and see what's what. Ill past back when they tell me what the problem is.
    Only thing i got to worry at this point is that the hubs they got in their inventory either crap or to expensive for me.
  • Broken axle. Dude told me it will ride when he puts a new one but told me that i would be back soon enough as i need a new chain and cassette. I knew about the chain from b4 but the cassette is new. Not surprised too. Looked at my options and decided to fix the axle and sell it ASAP. Buying a 3900 Disc.
    Thank you for all the help ppl!
    I love this forum ^.^