Moan about cafes that serve burnt food

Herbsman
Herbsman Posts: 2,029
edited December 2012 in The cake stop
Went to a cafe at the weekend and was served burnt food. Not just slightly burnt but 50% incinerated. Exactly the same thing happened the last time we went there and the lady at the till seemed annoyed that I had the nerve to take it back :roll: I know cyclists like carbs, but pure carbon in the form of charcoal is pushing it a bit...

I won't be spending money there again, but obviously can't control where our club rides go. Anyone else had similar experiences? How can anyone actually serve a paying customer food that they know to be burnt? How could they not notice it was burnt?
CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!

Comments

• jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    I had a bowl of soup the other day in a cafe, and it was clearly out of a tin. I find that pretty inexcusable and would have thought that homemade soup would be cheaper to make than buying cans of Heinz anyway.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Maybe you should stop ordering the creme brulee! ;)

.. but seriously what did you order?
  • I'm rather partial to somewhat burnt food...particularly cheesy/pizza/pasta, toast, BBQ'd burgers and sausages...in fact, most things.

Legacy of my childhood - my grandmother incinerated everything and I usedto like it.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,949
    I was at a 'tea room' one summer's afternoon where they served through a little hatch into the surrounding garden. It was very nice and civilised.

A fairly well-spoken lady had ordered some toasted tea-cakes. They were placed in the hatch by one of the servers with the words "They're rather well-done I'm afraid" and she walked back towards the kitchen. The well-spoken lady called her back and said "These aren't well done, they are burnt. These are yours, I'll have some more please".

She very nearly got a round of applause from the garden.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Herbsman
    ^ Jesus wept

How can anyone think that's acceptable?

If they went in a pub and were served wine with vinegar in it, would that be ok with them?! It beggars belief.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Herbsman
    Seriously, how can anyone be so incompetent that they can't even toast a teacake FFS? They should be sweeping rubbish up off streets, not in charge of making people's lunch. How hard can it be?!?!?!
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    At least it was nice and hot.
  • Was given a hotdog at Reading festival that was pretty much solid in places, lord knows how long it had been slowly cooking on the grill as it didn't look that overdone on the outside. I think they rely on everyone being drunk in order to eat the food at festivals.