Funding UP for cycling

mr_poll
mr_poll Posts: 1,547
edited December 2012 in The cake stop
More good news for cycling, especially grass roots cycling and the SkyRide stuff with funding hugely increased:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/20755057

Swimming and tennis in the dock after failing to show they have solid plans to increase participation and find future sports stars.

One that annoys me is golf. There are billions sloshing around in that game why do they need taxpayers money to help the grassroots - also I heard the head of Sport England state that snooker didn't get any cash as they only gave it to sports that significantly raised the heart rate for minimum period of 20 minutes constant activity - at what point does walking around a big field and hitting a tiny ball with a stick do that?

Comments

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    mr_poll wrote:
    they only gave it to sports that significantly raised the heart rate for minimum period of 20 minutes constant activity - at what point does walking around a big field and hitting a tiny ball with a stick do that?

Crashing a 4x4 while being chased by your wife holding a pitching wedge after she has found out you have been cheating would certainly raise my heart rate.
  • Being a golfer and a cyclist, what golf is currently trying to do for young people and especially a lot of girls involved at grass roots level is pretty credible.

You also need to look at some of the top players, they are athletes.

Hitting the ball 350 yards takes a heck of a lot of athletic ability - try playing 4 rounds of golf in 4 days, it's pretty tiring both mentally and physically.
  • GiantMike
    Anything that keeps the old boys active is a good idea.
  • I can't understand anyone being hacked off at a sport getting funding from the tax payer. Sport is good for all and our tax pounds have been wasted on far less worthy causes than sport.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    RideWhite wrote:
    Being a golfer and a cyclist, what golf is currently trying to do for young people and especially a lot of girls involved at grass roots level is pretty credible.

You also need to look at some of the top players, they are athletes.

Hitting the ball 350 yards takes a heck of a lot of athletic ability - try playing 4 rounds of golf in 4 days, it's pretty tiring both mentally and physically.

I maybe wrong but isnt still against R&A's rules to not permit women (and I think the USPGA only allowed their first female last year, Condeleeza Rice) - hardly credible to help girls at grass roots level only to then block from the membership of highest echelons of the sport.

I agree Woods and McIlroy are fit but I think this follows Phil "the power" Taylor's approach that a fit body will help - given that John Daly and Colin Montgomerie proved you can win events when clearly not athletically fit shows its not an essential quality unlike most other sports.
    I can't understand anyone being hacked off at a sport getting funding from the tax payer. Sport is good for all and our tax pounds have been wasted on far less worthy causes than sport.

That is true everyone will have a take on where taxpayer should or shouldn't go as I posted there is enough money in golf to support its own grass roots and I was querying UK Sport rationale - you may like golf but surely no one can say it raises the heart rate consistently for over 20 minutes.
  • GiantMike
    Sport should be compulsory for all. There should be a minimum of 3x20 minute sessions per week for everybody, unless you're in hospital. If you don't attend and you can't prove you do other sport, your TV and radio should be taken away.

Just sayin'