Do you go for finance?

amdowney
amdowney Posts: 8
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
Good day,

Out of interest how many of you would, or already have taken advantage of 0% finance deals? :?:

Comments

• white91
    white91 Posts: 431
    0% is a no brainer
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    You'll never get any discount on a 0% finance deal though. OK if you want a "current" model bike where there isn't much scope for negotiation, if you want something older a 0% credit card is likely to be the best option.

Or just save up.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Would consider it but you're often better if you can get a CC deal and buy it on that then ask for a discount on the bike.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    0% credit card or c2w.

As mentioned above, 0% finance deals are almost always over priced.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • 0% is they way forward...............ive just taken advantage of Tesco's credit card's 0% for 15 months on purchases and built my new steed up, then flogged my old one stuck the cash in my ISA set DD up for £80 into my ISA then pay the lot off in 15 months and maybe make a bit of interest on it aswell..............Win win for me. :lol:
  • white91
    white91 Posts: 431
    0% is they way forward...............ive just taken advantage of Tesco's credit card's 0% for 15 months on purchases and built my new steed up, then flogged my old one stuck the cash in my ISA set DD up for £80 into my ISA then pay the lot off in 15 months and maybe make a bit of interest on it aswell..............Win win for me. :lol:

That's text book Linn
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    I votes yes and have used it.

0% means they sell the item to a finance company for a discount. You pay the finance company the full whack over x months, that's how they make their dosh.

See if you can negotiate the same deal as the finance company or take the 0%.
  • How would you go about trying to get the price down?
  • 0% is they way forward...............ive just taken advantage of Tesco's credit card's 0% for 15 months on purchases and built my new steed up, then flogged my old one stuck the cash in my ISA set DD up for £80 into my ISA then pay the lot off in 15 months and maybe make a bit of interest on it aswell..............Win win for me. :lol:
    exactly what I've just done to fund some upgrades!
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Big Jimmy explains it well. In fact this is the principle of Islamic Finance if you are interested.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Never use 0% unless is your only choice - you can negotiate at least 10% off (finance companies charge the bike shop around 15% I believe) and that's worth more than the cash in the bank. Even better if you can doa CC deal as described above.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I should point out that by only choice I mean instead of cash or 0% on a CC. Don't use Wonga instead for example
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why, is there something wrong with interest of 83846382829374404836382920402827292020202028462%.
    Surely those cute (aaarrrgh) little old puppets wouldn't rip you off.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • querhoch
    querhoch Posts: 111
    no. I only ever pay cash. this year Ive spent around 3k on two bikes and got a decent discount on the DH bike because i was paying cash. Using finance is weighing the deal in favour of a 3rd party and I dont like doing that, so I only buy if I have the money in my hand.