Packaging for a tyre or a complete bike?

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited December 2012 in Commuting chat
The Marathon Winters turned up today. Along with the wrong ones that I cancelled and returned to sender on the CityLink site (argument with driver ensued. I won)

Anyway, they EACH came 'packed' in the boxes shown below:

tyrepacking.jpg

I mean, seriously? What the absolute hell were they thinking?

This is Amazon btw - you can rate the packaging. I think I may well be in this case.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Are they foldable? If not, I guess that explains the size of the box, but not why each tyre gets its own box.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    I got a new bearing cap for my external bottom bracket, around 4cm square, it came in a box large enough for a crankset :D that was CRC, made me chuckle anyway.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    CRC have an automatic box machine, it takes a standard box and folds it to make the height right. So you do end up with tiny things in ludicrously oversized boxes. But it's cheaper and more recyclable than jiffy bags apparently.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    bails87 wrote:
    CRC have an automatic box machine, it takes a standard box and folds it to make the height right. So you do end up with tiny things in ludicrously oversized boxes. But it's cheaper and more recyclable than jiffy bags apparently.

I got a crankset from CRC this week. The box it came in was pretty bizarrely over-sized - it really strained the zips to squeeze it into my 35 litre backpack.

However, that box was actually packed in another box that was probably about 4 times the volume. No padding in that one - the inner just rattled around inside it. I can only assume that the CRC automatic box machine is on crack. I had to leave the outer at the Post Office.
    Faster than a tent.......