Talk about downgrade...

Gobs
Gobs Posts: 296
edited December 2012 in MTB general
B**tards. I've just had my 2009 Lapierre Spicy 516 stolen and the insurance won't be paying for it. What I'm left with is my 2008 Carrera Vulcan which is at my partners place. I bought that for her but she doesn't use it. Is it worth me upgrading that? Buying a mint (2011) 2nd hand Fury in it's place? I've always loved FS so I don't know if I'll enjoy a HT nearly so much. Has anyone on here done that? I won't be able to afford such an expensive machine again so the likely route will be nearly new 2nd hand. Ideally I don't want anything heavier than the 13kg mark

Options:
2008 Carrera Vulcan upgrade (Currently 14.7kg so I'd want this reduced to around 13kg)
2011 Carrera Fury
Boardman HT Pro
Boardman FS Team
Giant Trance X4

Comments

• DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    Claim for bits that weren't stolen? Haha.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Why won't the insurers pay? If you think they're being unreasonable then try using the obudsman.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Why isn't the insurance paying out? Assuming it was all sorted out corractly I would be appealing....

Ah - beaten to it :lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • for what its worth, if the tires on the 08 vulcan are the same as the current model you can cut 500g each changing the tires
  • What insurance were you trying to claim on? Household contents, or separate bike insurance?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Hardtails aren't necessarily less fun than than full sus bikes. I went from a Giant Trance X to a On-One 456SS and I love it, loads more fun to ride.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It's a pretty decent frame, that... With nicer kit it builds into a good do-anything bike, and there's enough decent kit on it that'll do the job too.

But if you want to get it up to the level of a Spicy, you'll have to replace all the parts, including the frame.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • appy
    appy Posts: 408
    The Boardman FS is a good bike
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Check link in my Sig to what you can do to a Carrera frame, it's about to get XT cranks and an XTR rear mech (Christmas pressies) and to 1x9 which will put it sub 11Kg, there is an easy 200g to come out the front tyre on top of that!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Gobs
    House contents insurance. It appears it wasn't secured to the required standard (I'd moved in the last month). I've accepted defeat so I'm going through the motions in the background just in case.

Assuming the worst, I'm quite tempted by the Fury, seeing as it's 12.9kg compared to the 15.3 :shock: of the Vulcan (weighed last night) and it would be a fair bit of work and expense to bring it down. I like the fact that the Fury's Epicon fork can be adjusted to 140mm travel too. Hmm. I'm just retiscent to wait and go big money ever again after this, so perhaps a Fury would suffice. Strangely, despite the capability, I never fell in love with the Spicy, although it was the most beautiful bike I've ever seen
  • Gobs wrote:
    House contents insurance. It appears it wasn't secured to the required standard (I'd moved in the last month). I've accepted defeat so I'm going through the motions in the background just in case.

Assuming the worst, I'm quite tempted by the Fury, seeing as it's 12.9kg compared to the 15.3 :shock: of the Vulcan (weighed last night) and it would be a fair bit of work and expense to bring it down. I like the fact that the Fury's Epicon fork can be adjusted to 140mm travel too. Hmm. I'm just retiscent to wait and go big money ever again after this, so perhaps a Fury would suffice. Strangely, despite the capability, I never fell in love with the Spicy, although it was the most beautiful bike I've ever seen

It doesn't matter about the price, just make sure you fit the requirements for the insurance. That would have solved this problem as well.
  • dmorton
    dmorton Posts: 244
    Gobs wrote:
    House contents insurance. It appears it wasn't secured to the required standard

Sorry for your loss, it sucks!

Would you be able to give us anymore details on why it didn't meet their securing standard? Who are you insured with and how did they want it secured? It's always in the back of my mind. I think I have met my insurance criteria but they'll always try to find reasons not to pay out.
  • Was looking into bike insurance myself.

http://uk.protectyourbubble.com/securit ... ments.html

Basically my garage needs to have a 5 lever padlock on it and the bike needs to be secured by an 'approved' padlock to an immovable object inside too.
  • dmorton
    dmorton Posts: 244
    Basically my garage needs to have a 5 lever padlock on it and the bike needs to be secured by an 'approved' padlock to an immovable object inside too.

The requirements vary insurer to insurer. Mine just requires that the shed, garage or building is locked, that's with the AA for home contents insurance.
  • Gobs

In essence this. My bike was kept inside my last house and with moving I didn't get around to check the small print for keeping it elsewhere. Lesson learnt. Stressing about it won't change things so I have to look forward to what I can do.

Current ideas are:

2011 Carrera Fury (white)
    2012 Boardman HT Pro
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2011 Giant Trance X4
  • How long was it at your old place?

If it's only a matter of days and you were in the process of moving you could argue that it's unreasonable of the insurer to define on that basis. It might be worth pursuing - you have nothing to lose. They won't want to pay the referral fees to the ombudsman so they may accept that you weren't treated fairly, and come to a compromise.
  • Gobs
    Yes thank you I'm still pursuing, I can't end up any worse off.....

It was circa 4 weeks, so I'll have a job getting anywhere. I can but try though. I just need to throw a few ideas around now bike wise