hayes dyno brakes??!!!!!

stanny_uk
stanny_uk Posts: 147
edited May 2013 in MTB general
borrowed a mates 2012 trek fuel ex 5 to go up chase yesterday as mines in dock.. are them HAYES DYNO brakes really supposed to be that rubbish!!! ive even put some superstar sintered pads in coz he was moaning they were rubbish,, but really they are garbage.. got loads of pressure in lever ie no bleeding issues but just such a wooden feel at lever!! like pulling on a house brick!! my mate is a bit of a girl and when he gets scared and hangs back i used to think puff!! but after trying these brakes i can see what scares him!!! upgrade!!!

Comments

• kja
    kja Posts: 259
    I've got the same bike and same brakes. No problems with them. Sounds like they haven't been bedded in properly or the discs are contaminated.
  • querhoch
    querhoch Posts: 111
    every set of hayes brakes Ive ever had have been the same. they either felt like wood or i was able to pull them right back to the bar without stopping.or even slowing down. the problem was often that the seals inthe reservoir werent good enough and fell apart far too quickly, allowing air into the system. hayes are mid range for a reason. have them checked then change them anyway.
  • Well said :roll:
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Calling them mid range is generous.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't know, my regular bike has Stroker Trails, haven't needed to touch them in over four years, powerful enough to handle my bulk with 160mm rotors, enough feel for me (but then I am a sensitive kind of guy.)
    Not as good as the new Shimanos I'll grant, but a hell of a lot less hassle than most of my compatriot's Avids.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I breifly rode a bike on Hayes 9's, they were no worse than my old Juicy 5's, in fact very similar braking and (slighly wooden) feel, these sound like they are contaminated, they'll never be great but they should be at least OK!

Decontaminate the discs and also either new pads or decontaminate these (I have good success with 24 hours in petrol, then 30 mins in the oven on max and then some rough sandpaper to brake the surface a bit).

Organic pads will give more bite than sintered.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad wrote:
    Not as good as the new Shimanos I'll grant, but a hell of a lot less hassle than most of my compatriot's Avids.

My Avids sound like your Hayes.

YMMV and all that.
  • had discs cleaned with proper cleaner and two differant lots of pad compounds in!! garbage.. have no place on an entry level full sus with treks good name.. not for a what i would grade myself as fastish trail rider,i WOULD GET HURT WITH THESE!! i feel that strongly about there performance ive complained to both trek and hayes.. lets see what they reply.. i love a good complaining session,,,
  • cooldad
    Did you write to Wiggle as well? Obviously they're to blame.

ps have you been drinking?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • no i just dont like shit kit. some people endure it i dont..
  • cooldad
    I'm sure they'll change their range if you write to them in CAPS.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Are you serious that you wrote to both Trek and Hayes to complain you didn't like their product? You are a saddo.

I second cooldad's post. I heard Trek issues recalls based on one complaint about the brakes, so maybe you'll get your money back.
  • why if people dislike peoples opinions on forums do they insist on becoming abusive.. sure you wouldnt call me a sado in pub.. lol keyboard terrorists you gotta love em pmsl
  • stanny_uk wrote:
    why if people dislike peoples opinions on forums do they insist on becoming abusive.. sure you wouldnt call me a sado in pub.. lol keyboard terrorists you gotta love em pmsl

That's the funny thing, I would call you a saddo in a pub if you were telling me you wrote to 2 companies about a part that you didn't like on an entry level bike. No different really.

There is a difference between disliking an opinion and writing to the press when you don't approve something.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ok, let's stop the insults.

What cleaner did you use?
  • oh nice, well in your face doubters,HAYES EUROPE support want em back via dealer to take a look at em as i'm not first set to underperform or fail, and offered any upgrade on this model at cost! lol na na na naaanaaaaa oh and halfords proper disc cleaner..
  • cooldad wrote:
    I don't know, my regular bike has Stroker Trails, haven't needed to touch them in over four years, powerful enough to handle my bulk with 160mm rotors, enough feel for me (but then I am a sensitive kind of guy.)

same here i've had them for three years and the've been faultless, not hugely powerful but they are enough to stop the bike no probem i think they have a great feel, they are good for a set of cheap brakes.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    stanny_uk wrote:
    oh nice, well in your face doubters,HAYES EUROPE support want em back via dealer to take a look at em as i'm not first set to underperform or fail, and offered any upgrade on this model at cost! lol na na na naaanaaaaa oh and halfords proper disc cleaner..

For car brakes or bike brakes?
  • Sounds like a good result!
  • which model are they upgrading to?
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!
  • unquestioned
    unquestioned Posts: 172
    Dragging up a thread!

Only because I want to know if theirs a solution to the poor performance.

I like the amount of control I can get with these but they aren't proving reliable, been off for a rebuild already after one just broke, now the rear has thrown itself out of whack & is going spogy & I've only done about 60 miles of riding.

All cleaned, yada yada yada but they just seem to be a bit pants really.
    I have some Shimano M596 brakes on the way which I'll probably chuck on it anyway.