Hardtail Trail Bike - £1,500?

KeithRann
KeithRann Posts: 50
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

I am new to the forum and looking to get back into the scene of trail biking etc. It has been a few years since I was into the sport and the thought of 29er's scares me a little so I plan to stick with 26" rims.

I plan to do weekend trips to cover some tricky trails, downhill and technical sections with the odd jump here and there. Can anyone recommend a decent package approx. £1,500? A little less would be great but my budget is flexible.

I have seen the Stanton Slackline but that looks perhaps a little too focused for me with it being steel and I have also seen an Orange Crush which appears to have a far shorter top tube and stem for my liking. I am 6ft and would prefer a 17" frame.

I hope someone can help guide me as there seems so many bikes on the market I haven't a clue where to go!

Thanks in advance.

Keith

Comments

• on one have quite long top tubes to use with shorter stems if that is what you are looking for.

come in steel & alloy frames iirc
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I am not keen on the On One to be honest.

What do people think to this one:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... e-11-41285

I have been scanning through the bikes available on this site and it would seem there is an issue with each model. I know a positive and negative has to be given but it makes the choice so hard!
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    KeithRann wrote:
    I am not keen on the On One to be honest.

I have been scanning through the bikes available on this site and it would seem there is an issue with each model. I know a positive and negative has to be given but it makes the choice so hard!

What don't you like about the on-one?
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • KeithRann wrote:

What don't you like about the on-one?

The shifters I have seen are the Sram which I don't like.

I really want a 130-150mm front fork, if there are some On-One bikes with this and traditional style shifters then great?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You could sell the shifters and rear mech and fit Shimano.
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    If the only thing you don't like about the bike is the shifters, see if they'll offer it with a shimano set up for the same price.

I don't think they'd refuse a sale because they have to take a different set of parts out of a different box when building it.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • 130-150? Do you mean U-Turn or equivilants?

If it was me I'd go to On One or Ragley (or other LT HT makers) and spec up my own. Or just do the above - On One are always happy to help.

What's wrong with SRAM x9 shifters?
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • I am torn between a 17" or 19" Marin Rocky Ridge. I am 6' 1", can anyone offer advice to the size choice?

I will be primarily trail riding but help for the odd hill climb would be nice.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You need to try them for size, unless you understand the geometry ie top tube length, and know what you want
  • On-one won't swap any components at all nowadays, at least thats how it was last time I checked (year ago).
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I'd go for a Ragley Blue Pig if it were me.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If it were me I'd be seeking help with my irrational Sramphobia.....or see if I could sell them as new (unused) and replace with Shimano within budget.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I'd say On One too. I also like the Commencal Ramone (http://www.commencal-store.co.uk/PBSCCa ... ID=1780839) and Ragley Blue Pig.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Mark909
    Mark909 Posts: 456
    KeithRann wrote:

My last bike was a 2009 rocky ridge. In fact I've still got the frame in storage after swapping the forks and frame over to an evil sovereign. The only thing I found with the rocky ridge is that the front wheel tends to want to lift off the floor whenever you're going up anthing steep. Apart from that it was brilliant and definately alot of fun on the downs. The spec however has really dropped since 2009 so I'd keep an eye on what version you're buying. I'm 5'9" and the medium fitted perfectly.
  • stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    Might be a bit late to this thread but there's some good deals on Saracen Zens if you look around.
  • Picked up a 2nd hand Rocky Ridge with XT groupset and RockShox Revelations. It is immaculate and only needs the lower and upper removing with a bash guard and chain guard fitted.

If anyone can recommend a decent setup I would be most appreciative?

Also, the Hayes Stroker Trail brakes are awesome and sit central to the disc but you have a fair long travel for them to engage, is this adjustable?
  • What's an upper and lower?

Is the reach set correctly?
  • What's an upper and lower?

Is the reach set correctly?

I meant to say the lower and upper chain rings!

The reach has been set correctly but I still find it quite a travel before the 'bite'?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Large and small then...... Chain GUIDE I presume you meant?......lots of different choices there......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CB75
    CB75 Posts: 49
    For £1500 youve got a pretty good choice of hardtails. The ragleys are all nice and worth the money but a nice little hardtail that caught my eye recently is the charge cleaver. On sale from pauls cycles from £1600 to £800 in a medium frame. Although its specced with those x9's you hate so much! Personally ive got x9s myself and never had any problems but on a £1500 budget and getting a bike like that half price saving £800 you would have plenty scope to upgrade and ebay the x9s and still have cash left in your wallet! Just a thought!
  • CB75 wrote:
    For £1500 youve got a pretty good choice of hardtails. The ragleys are all nice and worth the money but a nice little hardtail that caught my eye recently is the charge cleaver. On sale from pauls cycles from £1600 to £800 in a medium frame. Although its specced with those x9's you hate so much! Personally ive got x9s myself and never had any problems but on a £1500 budget and getting a bike like that half price saving £800 you would have plenty scope to upgrade and ebay the x9s and still have cash left in your wallet! Just a thought!

I had already picked up a Rocky Ridge and love it to bits. Only paid £550 and there is not a mark on the frame or components so very happy.

I have a chain guide I am looking to buy but not sure whether the Marin has an ISCG or ISCG 05 mount, does anyone know the differences between the two?
  • Mark909
    Mark909 Posts: 456
    KeithRann wrote:
    CB75 wrote:

I had already picked up a Rocky Ridge and love it to bits. Only paid £550 and there is not a mark on the frame or components so very happy.

I have a chain guide I am looking to buy but not sure whether the Marin has an ISCG or ISCG 05 mount, does anyone know the differences between the two?

Awesome bike the rocky ridge but they don't seem to get much mention on here. Have a look on the marin website it will give you the spec of your bike. What year is it from?