Which rims?

chrismarkham1982
chrismarkham1982 Posts: 57
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
Currently have a set of Syncros Big Box rims on Deore M525 hubs, my options are to get the hubs serviced and back to like new or get a set of Shimano MT15 or MT55 wheels.

Im not worried about the cost, just wondering wether the MT15/55 would be an improvement or wether it would be better to just service the hubs and keep the big box rims.
Main use is light XC trails.
Carrera Vulcan

..........................Meh.........................

Comments

• I can get a set if MT55 wheels for £110 so that would be my limit, I guess the only factor is would they be better than the syncros big box rims/m525 hubs that I currently have or should I stick to what I have and just service the hubs?
    Carrera Vulcan

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or 5p for some grease and a few quid for some bearings if needed. 20 minutes work. No brainer to me.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ok, so going to change this slightly.

Decided that I deserve some new wheels :wink: Budget will be a max of £120 and here are my options.

Shimano MT15 @£90
    Shimano MT55 @£109
    Mavic Crossride @£120

As above, main use is light XC and maybe some commuting as-well, I weigh about 85-90kg (14st or 190Ibs).
    My decision wont be bassed on value just literally what is the best wheelset of the 3.

Cheers for opinions :)
    Carrera Vulcan

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Don't bother, not a worthwhile improvement over what you have. Buy some bearings and grease, service what you have and save up for something that's a notable improvement.
  • I realise that but really want to overhaul the whole bike (except forks and brakes) as a lot of the parts are knocking on for 10 years old and really havnt been looked after well at all, would like a better set but my wife is of the opinion that 120 quid is too much for a set of wheels lol so getting that is a bonus :lol:
    Carrera Vulcan

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I have to agree with the others, the new wheels at this price will offer no benefits and in my opinion will be a waste of money. I'd at least save up a bit more.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Deore hubs are O.K for almost everyone. I do no believe a £120 wheelset is any better than what you have. In fact it is worse as if a spoke goes or the free hub fails in some way it will cost you.

Your exisiting build is alot cheaper to service keep your existing wheels and the spend the cash on upgradin parts that are actually worn out. If you want new wheels spend more to get a performance improvement.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Just seconding (or thirding?!) what's been said above, worth servicing in first instance at least. :)
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    The MT15/55 will also need servicing at some point as these are also cup & cone, so you may as well have a good go at servicing the current ones. If the cones are pitted to hell then you can justify buying some new ones plus you'll know how to service the MT15/55s.

Or if servicing isn't your thing, save a little more, have a look on SSC and get something sealed and also a lot better.

i.e. better hubs/rims/spokes not better because it's sealed - just saying that before it starts random debate!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Random debate.
    Shimano cup and cone are sealed.
    You mean cartridge bearings, which are also sealed.
    Either may be sealed well or badly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Well, going to take the advice from you guys, Going to stick 200 quid on sorting my drivetrain out instead, already have a Deore XT M761 rear mech, so new front mech, shifters, cassette, Chainset/BB, chain and a basic X-Tools toolkit from CRC.
    Looking at the following
    HG50 cassette
    Deore M590 chainset
    HG93 chain
    Deore M591 front mech
    Deore M590 shifter pair

£143.95 for that lot plus the tools and cables will leave me £15-20 spare so might end going for either a better front mech or better shifter combo.

LBS will service both hubs for me for £25 as im not overly keen on them myself.
    Carrera Vulcan

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The toolkit will have the tools to have a go - nothing to lose at this stage!

Consider this package too:

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/m ... upset.html
  • I did look at that package but cant make my budget stretch far, luckily though when I bought my carrera vulcan it already came with a deore xt m761 rear mech which looks hardly used with virtually no wear on the jockey wheels either plus a set of hayes hfx mag hydro discs front and rear, add that to the marzocchi bomber wedge z1's I now have on my bike and its starting to take shape nicely.
    Carrera Vulcan

• anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    cooldad wrote:
    Random debate.
    Shimano cup and cone are sealed.
    You mean cartridge bearings, which are also sealed.
    Either may be sealed well or badly.

Well to clear up any confusion there may have been, I meant cartridge bearings.
  • had a proper look at the front wheel and it turns out that the hub isnt the problem, its actually the caliper sticking slightly.
    Carrera Vulcan