Is it wise doing 60miles tomorrow?

Moominman2
Moominman2 Posts: 389
edited December 2012 in Road general
Hi all,

I've wanted to do this 60 mile ride since the summer now. I planned on doing it tomorrow, but I haven't been on the bike properly since i did 30 miles 2 weeks ago. I only did a quick 10 miles last week due to me not setting the saddle up properly after changing it.

What I'm asking is do you think 60 miles is pushing it with a lack of 'training' for it?

Cheers
Luke

Comments

• FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Go for it, take enough energy and fluid.
  • Will do! Thanks :D
  • Shouldn't be a problem remember set your mind free and your legs will follow!!
  • Good advice, cheers :D

I'll go for it
  • Take plenty of food and water. Plod on at an even pace. You should be OK. But if you're not feeling up to it you can always turn back.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Moominman2 wrote:
    Hi all,

I've wanted to do this 60 mile ride since the summer now. I planned on doing it tomorrow, but I haven't been on the bike properly since i did 30 miles 2 weeks ago. I only did a quick 10 miles last week due to me not setting the saddle up properly after changing it.

What I'm asking is do you think 60 miles is pushing it with a lack of 'training' for it?

Cheers
    Luke

Just do it.

Posts like this are not worth your breath. Who cares what this lot of anonymous posters say? Just go try it and see.
    If you don't want to, don't.

Asking advice on one ride is a bit silly?
  • Scrumple wrote:
    Moominman2 wrote:
    Hi all,

Cheers
    Luke

Just do it.

Posts like this are not worth your breath. Who cares what this lot of anonymous posters say? Just go try it and see.

Well not really mate, is it? I could say that it was a bit silly you took the time with that response.

I wanted some advice from more experienced people. My biggest ride was 30 miles and am inexperienced.

Luke
  • nolight
    nolight Posts: 261
    The main risk is legs may cramp and you may struggle to get home. Have to make sure you pace yourself.
  • Moominman2 wrote:
    Scrumple wrote:
    Moominman2 wrote:
    Hi all,

Cheers
    Luke

Just do it.

Well not really mate, is it? I could say that it was a bit silly you took the time with that response.

I wanted some advice from more experienced people. My biggest ride was 30 miles and am inexperienced.

Luke

Ignore them mate. Like you say, you are inexperienced, trying to do the right thing and want to do a long ride. I still ask myself the same 'silly' questions 20yrs in. My advice is go and do it.
    Pace it, have a break or three, enjoy the views, stop for lunch somewhere etc. I have been out on similar mileage expectations and ended up doing close to 100miles due to the enjoyment factor and relaxed pace.
    Enjoy.
    “If you do what always do, you'll get what you always get.”
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Not silly at all -> just take plenty of food and ride slowly.
  • Thanks all for the advice! Will be out in the next half hour :)
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    Even though scrumple says the post is silly and "who cares what anonymous posters say?"... he still gave his advice.. "Just go try it and see.
    If you don't want to, don't." DOH!! "I am with Stupid" :arrow: :|

anyway... I would have never thought I could have done 100 miles last weekend, as I havent riden over 50 since the summer, but it went really well.. legs hurt a little but you just end up enjoying the ride... when you get home you will be thinking you didnt know what you was worried about :P
  • I can understand where both of you are coming from. Only you can decide whether you are ready for this ride or not. If you didnt feel ready, but everyone said go for it, would you blame us if you bonked and had to take a long cab ride home, or had a crash because you were so tired?
  • inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    Stop at a pub half way :)
  • Perhaps it was the encouragement and egging me on I wanted.

Think about it.
  • As long as you had a good time!
  • It was fun! I only managed 35/40 miles as my girlfriend was coming past me in the car. Hit the wall as they say due to knowing I could get a lift back haha. Was getting a bit too cold so will do it on a warmer day
  • Still a good effort. I find long distance riding tedious when i'm by myself.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    It's always a good idea to do something tomorrow. On the other hand, doing it today is always far less sensible....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Thanks. Yeah I find it much more difficult, but I only have one person to ride with, and he barely does due to work.

I'm thinking about joining a club next year but I'm going to feel quite intimidated haha
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    if you can knock out 40odd miles in crappy weather then you'll be fine on a club ride
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Thanks mate. I'll check the local scene out