Tyre pressures for Cyclocross?

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited December 2012 in Amateur race
I have my first event next weekend and my Schwalde CX Pro tyres have recommended pressures of between 55 and 90 psi.

Any idea on what would be a sensible pressure to use given that I'll be very new to this and not looking to do anything other than finish last in one piece?

Tyres are 700c x 30 and the terrain is expected to be sandy tracks.

Thanks

Comments

• xixang
    xixang Posts: 235
    I run my cross tyres around 35 psi if soft/muddy, maybe 40 if course is harder. You need them soft enough not to pinch flat generally. quoted pressures are way too high for racing IMO and are probably aimed at on road/commute/canal towpath type rides rather than racing
  • rodgers73
    OK, thanks
  • 35-40 sounds about right to me, you can usually get away with that in a clincher and not have to fret about the dreaded "snake bites". Too soft and the back end of the bike may "squirm" and go from under you on bits of the course that are hard-packed, paved or tarmac, likewise a soft front tyre can "wash out" in similar circumstances; I have had the former happen to me in the past.
    Additionally, Panaracer (and by extension Interloc) CX tyres claim to have a bead profile designed to minimise the chance of pinch flats, and which actually seems to do what it says on the tin based on my experience of them.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • rodgers73
    Lovely advice - thanks
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Also consider course conditions, rider weight etc - courses at the moment are very soft, so try going as low as you can go without risking impact punctures. Particularly if you're unlikely to encounter any hard edges, kerbs, roots etc.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..