New Strava challenge.

Werbo
Werbo Posts: 109
edited December 2012 in Road general
Ok so they have a new challenge I'm looking forward to. Pretty sad I know but I do like the challenges. Anyone else doing this one and more importantly anyone from Wirral want to catch on for a few rides to break the back of the 500 km?

Comments

• I'm in. Working most days over that period so not sure if I will pull it off but will certainly try.
    It is not sad at all, there are sadder things you could be doing, knackering up your liver getting drunk the whole time that isl sad to me.
    “If you do what always do, you'll get what you always get.”
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    edited December 2012
    "Ride 500km between Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve"

If I wasn't married, didn't have a Mother coming to stay over the holidays and lived in a country where the roads were covered in ice half the day, then yes I'd go for it. So I'll go for the "drink copious amounts of red wine" challenge instead.
  • Werbo
    Works out just over 40 miles a day, I'm in work a few of the days but I think it's doable.
  • I did it last year. It's good getting back to work in the new year feeling fit rather than bloated! To get the 500 in last year I had to do a few evening rides as well as get up at 5am on Boxing Day for a 100km ride.

Fingers crossed I'll be able to sneak them all in again this year without the wife realising. :D
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    summer over here :D
  • I'm doing it though I don't plan on telling gf that I'm spending more time with mates than her over this festive period :-P
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Going to be a squeeze as I am not back and on the bike until the 29th, but I will give it a go. Have a 300 and 200 planned if the weather's semi-acceptable.
  • Werbo
    Wow that's some task, good luck mate. I have a 15 mile loop I'm planning on doing 3 times a day to make up the miles, this way il only be gone for an hour at a time so my Mrs and kids don't complain. I think il do two big rides and the rest in sections.
  • Ye saw that and joined yesterday! I'm from the Wirral too, whereabouts are you?
  • Werbo
    I'm from Moreton bud, how about your self?
  • I'm from Caldy, would be keen on some rides!
  • I'm in. Working most days over that period so not sure if I will pull it off but will certainly try.
    It is not sad at all, there are sadder things you could be doing, knackering up your liver getting drunk the whole time that isl sad to me.

Sounds bloody good to me!
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I'm going to do it to burn off the mince pies.. I just hope the weather is ok!
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    I hope the weather will be okay while I'm at Majorca. :lol:
  • Werbo
    TakeTurns wrote:

im not jealous at all :wink:
  • well it was beuatiful here today I nipped up col de batalla tonight after work in shorts and short sleeve jersey. nippy on the way down mind. I just singed up but have now been told im working all the days! terrific
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I might have made an attempt at this, but its gonna be bloody raining the whole time and I ain't going out in the wet!!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Werbo
    Yes I have to admit the weather is going to make this a real challenge
  • marcusjb
    TakeTurns wrote:

I think it only fair that those who will be riding in far more appealing climates should have to do 1000km in the same period...... :evil:
  • Werbo
    Got 40 mile done today, anyone ells started theirs?
  • I did 160 km today,its shows this correctly when I go into History on my Edge 305,distance/time is correct etc,but when I downloaded it onto the Garmin site on my computer the 1st 54km is missing!!I downloaded an updated Garmin Training Center onto my computer and still the same!!Anyone know how I can sort this out??Its very annoying being 54km down on the 500km,and whats to say my 305 wont do the same again tomorrow!!Thanks in advance.
  • marcusjb
    I am away in the Lake District for a few days, so won't start until the 29th. Lots of people out on bikes today - would have been testing conditions to put big miles in - so chapeau to anyone out in the wind and rain.
  • completed a very wet 122km / 1700m ascent this morning. superb ride despite the inclement conditions. 378km to go!
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    marcusjb wrote:
    TakeTurns wrote:

I think it only fair that those who will be riding in far more appealing climates should have to do 1000km in the same period...... :evil:

Challenge accepted. 8) ...what have I done. :shock:

Knocked out 5 hours today, mainly touring, about 140km. Can't believe how easily the miles fly by. :P
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    I think the UK weather is going to make this tougher than it should be, hey ho onwards I guess
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    120km down so far, hope to double that today. It's pretty grim out there though!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Will I finished today just in the nick of time avoiding the worst of the weather. Unfortunately not able to even attempt January's challenge, I'll be happy with 500m instead of 1000.
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    I've done 370 kms since Monday leaving me with 130kms to do (80 miles). Doing it with clubmates helps. I'm out in the morning as well for a couple of hours. I've done 60+miles a day for the last 3 days with a 35 mile ride on Xmas eve. Legs are a bit tired now though.
  • You can also get turbo rides to count on your Rapha challenge mileage total by unticking the "stationary trainer" box on the loading page, might be handy to know for people close to finishing it but thwarted by the crap weather.
  • Werbo
    kettrinboy wrote:
    You can also get turbo rides to count on your Rapha challenge mileage total by unticking the "stationary trainer" box on the loading page, might be handy to know for people close to finishing it but thwarted by the crap weather.

Says in the rules they have to be out door rides mate.

Each activity (Run or Ride) must be logged on the Site and cannot be inputted manually. In addition, indoor rides done on the trainer will not be counted towards the Challenge.

Just in case people have been wasting their time, only road work counts.