Is it me or is S.P.O.T.Y a load of bollox?

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,196
edited December 2012 in The bottom bracket
Think of it - Sports Personality of The Year. Not Achievement of the year.

We're getting the two confused.

Ryan Giggs, David Beckham - personality ?!?!?!

Bloody BBC - Sycophantic Stoke loving, Sugar sucking, Anne Widdicombe inflatable doll shagging closet Nazi b4stards.
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• Anyone can get one - didnt they give to a talentless royal who was on horse that jumped a fence at 2 oclock in the morning once.

The only way to find out who is best is.....LIKE THIS
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    from oxforddictionaries.com

Definition of personality
    noun (plural personalities)

1 the combination of characteristics or qualities that form an individual’s distinctive character: she had a sunny personality that was very engaging [mass noun]: she has triumphed by sheer force of personality
    [mass noun] lively, engaging qualities: she’s always had loads of personality

2 a celebrity or famous person: an official opening by a famous personality

3 [mass noun] archaic the quality or fact of being a person as distinct from a thing or animal.

4 (personalities) archaic disparaging remarks about an individual.

I'm guessing the BBC are going with the second definition rather than the first!
  • Number 2 deffo.

As for OP. If you don't like it don't watch it. I'm sure there are other things on the telly, or you have a book to read or you could give the missus a "seeing to". Clean ya bike, do a turbo session, go down the pub, pick ya nose, owtbar watch s.p.o.t.y. if it's such bollox. :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Why do people keep harping on about the "personality" bit of the title?

It is just an old fashioned title for a show which started in a different TV era. Today it would no doubt be called something like "BBC Sportsperson Of The Year" or similar. Changing the name would not alter the meaning or the point of the awards, but I suppose it might satisfy a few pedants.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    It's you.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    There must be a way for the admins to set up an automatic response so that any thread titled "is it me or..." instantly gets the reply "it's you" and then gets locked.
  • The only way to find out who is best is.....LIKE THIS

They're going to: BBC Superstars 2012
  • The only way to find out who is best is.....LIKE THIS

They're going to: BBC Superstars 2012

I predict a wave of 'Is it me or is BBC superstars' a load of bollox threads!
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Is it me or are you a twot?
    Nope, you're a twot.
    :wink:

But seriously, just don't watch it or ignore the title and enjoy the fact that cycling got some recognition.
  • BigJimmyB wrote:
    Is it me or are you a twot?
    Nope, you're a twot.
    :wink:

But seriously, just don't watch it or ignore the title and enjoy the fact that cycling got some recognition.

And that the guy with the best personality won it!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Just 'cos Wiggo won SPOTY, does not make the whole thing somehow worthwhile. Its surprising because I don't think the non-cycling public have any conception of what it takes to win the TdF (do we, for that matter?). If he hadn't of won the TT in London, I doubt he would have got it, despite the significance of winning the TdF.
    It would have done for me, but for them ?? I dunno.
    So its still a load of bollox and no-one has locked this thread yet :P
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!