Rim Fight: Width vs Weight

rollingrevolution
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
If you could choose between a slight lighter and a slightly wider which would you go for?

Slightly lighter new wheel set<=============>Current wheel set<==============>Slightly wider new wheel set

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Got this going on myself at the moment. Looking at building a new set so thinking about Flow (wider), 819 (lighter, possibly better alloy). Will be to replace 521 which have been exemplary but both the Flow and the 819 are tubeless to go, even more so in the Mavic's UST case - no rim tape and nonsense.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Let me be a bit more specific then. Does anyone know whether a wider rim, offering more support for the tire, would be more or less beneficial than getting a lighter rim, in an attempt to remove rotational weight, in a general trail riding environment running 2.35 tubeless tires.

You can read everywhere the benefits of both so I'd like some real user feed back for those that have tried wider rims.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For "general trail", lighter every time, if you move towards genuine AM then there is some consideration in looking for strength (noting that wider and not enough heavier may be weaker....)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends. Wider than what. Lighter than what.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad with the ever helpful comments, seems as if you want to know more details so...

I will soon be getting a wheelset built for trail riding on my Tracer with 2.35 Panaracer CG AM tires. My current wheels are DT Swiss M1800TL (26mm outside width/ 19.6mm inside width) which have been great but I can't convert the hubs for different axles. I don't have a lot of choice for wheel builders and suppliers so I have narrowed my choice down to DT Swiss 240s hubs with one of the following Spank rims:

Oozy 26 Evo (26/21 435gm) rim would be slightly wider than my current wheels and bit lighter.
    Spike Race 28 Evo (28/23 500gm) on a par weigh wise but 3.4mm wider
    Subrosa 30 Evo (30/24.5 520gm) a little heavier but much wider than current wheels.

Strength is not really an issue here its more about the benefits of wider rims against the lighter weight of narrower rims.

I am keen to try the Subrosa because I have read about the pros of wide rims when running tubeless but will I notice the extra weight or is the extra width truly an advantage?
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Depends what i rode.