Extending chain by 1 link

starbuck
starbuck Posts: 256
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I've cut my sram chain 1 link too short, so the gears slip a little in certain gears.
I have a few spare links and a second powerlink, but how can I connect 1 extra link, as the powerlink needs 2 inners to connect to, but one link contains an inner and an outer so how could I connect it?

If I cut the spare links so I had 2 inners to use, wouldn't the chain be slightly too long?

Comments

• Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    If your chain is slipping it's likely to be caused by a worn drivetrain not the chain length.

To ascertain the correct chain length wrap it around the largest sprocket on the rear and largest chainring on the front then add two links, when sizing up don't pass the chain through the rear mech!

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... gth-sizing

See Chain Sizing - Largest Cog and Largest Chainring Method (halfway down the page).
  • starbuck
    I sized the chain up using the old chain (which was the correct length). I must have miscounted links as I re-measured it using the large/large combination and it is too short. I have also just replaced the cassette and the chain rings are about 6 months old (and the teeth of the chainrings look fine - no shark fins appearing yet).
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Well if it's sized correctly just add a couple of spare links , it won't matter if it's just a link or two, main thing is it's not too short.
  • starbuck
    I've now added a couple of spare links to it so I'll see how it goes. I know it's worse to have too short a chain than too long a one. Thanks for everyone's advice.
  • starbuck wrote:
    I know it's worse to have too short a chain than too long a one..
    Yeah, but its worse to have a chain that's too long than one that is the correct length!

A short chain has nothing to do with slipping - it will either prevent a shift onto the big-big combo or it won't (or it will snap). It won't allow the shift but then slip - you have mis-diagnosed your problem.

What a chain that is too long will do is remove some of the lower end gear combos you can use in the granny ring as your derailleur will not be able to take up the slack and your chain will drop off in a gear combo that should cause no issues.

You are giving yourself self-induced problems for no reason by having a chain that is too long 'just in case'...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A short chain has nothing to do with slipping - it will either prevent a shift onto the big-big combo or it won't (or it will snap).
    Or graunch the mech up into the largest sprocket - don't ask how I know this!

Agree though, chain length (short of being far too long) has nothing to do with slipping at all!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • starbuck wrote:
    I have also just replaced the cassette

I'd suggest to re-index your gears.

Also double check the cassette lock ring is tight.