Riding with a cold

damov2
damov2 Posts: 66
edited December 2012 in Road beginners
Went out today for my sunday ride with a stinking cold, what a mistake that was! I spent most of the ride trying to work out how to wipe the single working nostril as it continuously poured the runny stuff down my face :? Must of looked like I had candle wax hanging of my chin :oops:

Comments

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I feel your pain, just getting over one. Have a snort of Sudafed before you go out, it helps a lot.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Learn how to do the farmer's hanky.
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    Did the same this morning. Glad I only did 30-odd miles as I was struggling at the end. Going to put chicken soup in my water bottle next time :D
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    The children have kindly passed their cold on to me, i dragged myself out on the bike yesterday and the fresh air did pick me up, it picked me that far up i went on an Xmas do last night, after 8 pints and a jalfrezi i felt like sh*te again this morning, i've just done 30 and feel slightly better....again.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Just back from what was meant to be 25 miles on the mtb. Turned in 10 as I felt weak as a kitten! Will have to MTFU next week.....
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Bozman wrote:
    The children have kindly passed their cold on to me, i dragged myself out on the bike yesterday and the fresh air did pick me up, it picked me that far up i went on an Xmas do last night, after 8 pints and a jalfrezi i felt like sh*te again this morning, i've just done 30 and feel slightly better....again.

Sir, that is an impressive achievement. I have great admiration for your training plan.
  • dashik
    dashik Posts: 156
    unixnerd wrote:
    Just back from what was meant to be 25 miles on the mtb. Turned in 10 as I felt weak as a kitten! Will have to MTFU next week.....

I know that feeling well, I had a stinking cold a while back and the cold air did not help.

Funny though training on the turbo, provided your fit enough, was ok. Probably due to the warm air in the house not aggravating the chest.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Bozman wrote:

Sir, that is an impressive achievement. I have great admiration for your training plan.

It's all in hand, the wife's off for two weeks from Friday so i can more than make up for it.... if i'm better..... plus there's another Christmas do next Friday so it'll take another hit then.
  • ricey155
    ricey155 Posts: 233
    Think i've spread my DNA all over Warks/Leics last 2 rides

probably best not to ride but its just not the done thing, get well soon rest up miss work ride and the weekends you only live once :roll:
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I reckon as long as it's not a chesty cough/cold then it's usually fine to do gentle(r) miles with a cold. Probably helps clearing things up a bit. I certainly wouldn't plan anything with high intensity though.

If it's on the lungs, then I wouldn't as you're likely to make things worse trying to exert yourself.
  • Had a really snotty cold last week and by Saturday it was down to a bit of a cough so I thought " man up, go for it". Did a hard 50 mile loop (Holme Moss, Strines, Snake Pass) and for the first time ever I felt like calling the wife half way round and ask her to pick me up but stuck at it. 20 minutes slower than usual. I guess (hope?) that it is just the aftermath of the cold

Seems that although most of the cold symptoms have gone, still a good 10% off optimal performance....or maybe I was just rubbish and need to MTFU :D
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It's wise advise that as long as the cold is above the neck, you'll be OK. However, ride hard with a chest cold can lead to serious complications including disease of the heart muscle - stay home and rest.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Just shook one off that I got at the beginning of December.

Tights and jerseys ended up looking like they'd been kep in a box full of snails overnight, especially one incident when I tried to blow out my nose on a descent and the wind blew the blasted gunk back in my face...

Felt great at first, then about halfway it starts to take it's toll. I got a second wind and in the few rides I did I found that if I didn't get home during the second wind I would break like a twig and be spinning home. :(
    Hills are like half life - they wait until you're 50% recovered from one before hitting you in the face with the next.

http://www.pedalmash.co.uk/
  • marcusjb wrote:
    I reckon as long as it's not a chesty cough/cold then it's usually fine to do gentle(r) miles with a cold. Probably helps clearing things up a bit. I certainly wouldn't plan anything with high intensity though.

If it's on the lungs, then I wouldn't as you're likely to make things worse trying to exert yourself.

Ah.

I was out at Tissington (on the Trail) about 25 miles away from the car when I started feeling a bit 'odd'. I was meant to be doing my usual 100Km run but I thought I should maybe cut it short and let discretion rule the day.

I was videoing the run as I wanted to record what the Trail was like (for others to reference) and I've kept the vid.

The bit when I start the echoing, hacking cough which frankly resonated through my chest comes across VERY clearly on the vid. It didn't stop and by the time I got eventually got back to the car (and if anyone has climbed out of Ashbourne on ANY of the routes will know what it's like) I was seeing spinny whizzing things.

Yeah, that wasn't pleasant.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter