changing from SPDs to flats. Recommendations and tips

mattrixdesign2
mattrixdesign2 Posts: 644
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
Guys.
Stupidly I rode through puddle yesterday, not realising it was on top of solid ice! I came off in an instant, next thing I knew I was staring at the sky, with a bad leg. I hopped around, got back on my bike, got home, it hurt more. Went to a and e, it turns out I have broken tib, fib and chipped my ankle, and it needs a screw.

Now I am not blaming the SPDs, been using them for years, but in this incident I didn't have a chance to release them, I am not sure if they twisted my leg, or putting my foot on the ice did.

I think it will knock my confidence on a MTB, sure I will continue to use them on the road. SPDs have always made me slightly weary of tricky descents.

So with no experience of flat pedals what would u recommend, they will be used for local ride, xc and trail centres.

Fyi bike is hard tale cube with deore xt. I want light weight if possible. Is a budget of 60.enough for shoes and pedals.

Comments

• RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    With a broken tib and fib I suggest you just lay up and forget about it all for a while, cause it's gonna be a while.
  • If you are going to flats then a pair of trainers will suffice or some cheap skate shoes. Wellago MG1 can be had for around £20-£25 on ebay.

I broke my arm, finger and face riding flats. I then moved to SPD. From what you describe it was a freak accident and i do not believe you would have had time to react either way. I wouldnt blame the pedal at all.

Take care of yourself and do not rush into anything.
  • No rush. Just thinking about way forward. Hoping for 6-8weeks to heal.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    10 weeks min before you're on a bike with a tib and fib......

Very much doubt that flats would have stopped the accident, in fact in some ways they are better as they reduce the chance of your leg getting twisted up in the bike as it naturally stays clipped to a nice solid chunk of the bike.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • as above, i doubt bein n flats wuld have much of a different outcome,
    ive nukeproof electrons on the singlespeed and find them Very grippy, Very nice pedals to use, perfect for around the village, whch is what the bikes for, but onthe Proper bike if got the time pedals,
    have found when on the SS for slightly longer mooches (up rpound the woods) is very easy to have my foot out of line and twist my knee a little,
    i'd stick with the spd's, just loosen them of a little on the tension,
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481