The "Beautiful Game"

2»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    People like all the sh!t that comes with football.

They just don't have the stones to come out and say it.

Professional sports give an all round experience, beyond the actual sport. Politics, drama, cheating, debating points, the lot.
  • I think it's been a great season so far, but then, unlike you tv pundits, I actually have a season ticket

toon army
  • wiffachip wrote:
    I think it's been a great season so far, but then, unlike you tv pundits, I actually have a season ticket

toon army

Not as good as last season for you though :wink:
  • I'd rather watch my grandson's under 8 yrs. team play a 30 min. match than any pro. team, plenty of laughs, then it's both teams getting stuck into the hotdogs & lemonade.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I agree with many of the points above. Ironically, I think it will be the apathy of the armchair fans rather than the 'real' fans that bring about a change in fortunes of the Premiership. I think many people are becoming a bit fed up of football for various reasons and this will in turn lead to cancellations of subscriptions to Sky, ESPN etc. It seems fair to say that this will impact how much Sky will be willing to/can afford to pay the EPL for exclusive coverage which will in turn lead to less money for the clubs.
    I know there are arguments for and against video refereeing etc but I hate the way that every decision is dissected by numerous pundits after the event. They have slow motion, endless replays, numerous camera angles and even virtual reality at their disposal. Referees don't. What they have is, essentially, 22 cheats trying to pull the wool over their eyes every time they get tackled and then resort to trying to bullying the ref en masse to influence their decision.
    As for the earlier point about marking at corners etc. To me, if a player is facing the ball and standing next to an opponent then he is marking him. If he is standing in front of an opponent, facing him, with his back to the ball he is obstructing him. It wasn't that long ago that a player could be booked for ungentlemanly conduct, this included gamesmanship, sneaky obstruction, diving and feigning when taking penalties. All "part of the modern game" now along with 'simulation' i.e. cheating.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • wiffachip wrote:
    I think it's been a great season so far, but then, unlike you tv pundits, I actually have a season ticket

toon army

Not as good as last season for you though :wink:

enjoyment for toon fans is measured by pints not points and definitely not by silverware.

at the moment we can't score or defend, not a good combination
  • wiffachip wrote:

toon army

hey! were not all tellyclappers on here! :D
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • I am another one whose interest in football has withered away over the last 10 years having previously been a pretty committed fan ie one prepared to travel to away games, pay fantastic sums of money for tickets etc etc, so not just a 'telly clapper'. Don't know if the biggets problem is the c#nts who play it or the tw@ts who watch it or the c#nty tw@ts like sponsors and broadcasters who pay for it and prepetuate the whole sorry mess. Premier League football these days makes even a f##cked up sport like professional cycling look sane.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    I just find that there are now more reasons to dislike the game than there are to enjoy it - so I have given up watching it and haven't missed it. Next step is to cancel sky sports - though I'm struggling to do that because I still enjoy the cricket and rugby.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I've said this so many times in conversation, I always refer to the time the ref was persued by half the Manure team and he fell over. What he should have done was show each and everyone of 'em the red card and abandoned the game. Thing is had he done that he'd have been struck off the list. Spineless hypocrits the FA are.

I think you're merging a United incident (Beckham, Keane, Stam the main perps) and Dicanio pushing over Paul Alcock.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • I used to have a season ticket at Sheffield United and now I don't even watch football. The Premier League's spinelessness with regard to West Ham's cheating that saw us relegated, the nonsense of every manager blaming every referee for every defeat and the knuckleheaded tribalism of fans killed it for me.

That decision really rekindled my love for Rugby League which was what I grew up with, however.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    People like all the sh!t that comes with football.

They just don't have the stones to come out and say it.

Some of the crap that comes with football is pretty funny. Some of it isn't.

Here's my quick list of funnies:

Cantona's kick
    Lee Bowyer attacking his Newcastle team-mate
    Dicanio's push on the referee
    Zidane's headbutt
    Any tackle in the African Nations' Cup. Especially the ones at head height. While the ball is on the ground.

Not funny:

Hooliganism
    Corruption
    Joey Barton

Really, really tedious:

John Terry's racism
    The Suarez vs. Evra saga. Especially the "will they or won't they shake hands" bit.
  • Anyway, at least it can still produce some laughs.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 30675.html