PhotoChromic lenses.

redvee
redvee Posts: 11,922
edited December 2012 in Commuting general
I don't need pointers as to which lenses to buy yet, this is a technical Q about them.

Do the lenses change from dark to totally clear? ie 80-90% to 0%. My commute for the forseeable future is daylight in and night home so other than changing lenses or glasses for each way I'm looking at photochromic lenses.
I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Generally more like 70% - 10% range.

Dont think any will go totally clear and if you want them really dark in sunlight that usually means they dont go as light when the sun isnt around. Sometimes you will hear reference to 'road formula' or 'mtb formula' which *might* suggest a range at the lighter or darker end of the spectrum accordingly.
  • I have Transitions lenses in my Oakleys and they start 100% clear and then darken depending on the light. If it goes dark when I'm out they go back to 100% clear.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I have Transitions lenses in my Oakleys and they start 100% clear and then darken depending on the light. If it goes dark when I'm out they go back to 100% clear.

No - they dont...!

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... ion-lenses
  • I've got Oakly Crosslink glasses with Nikon transition lenses that I've been using for commuting for the past couple of months. They let in about 95% of light when indoors and at night but the tint is so subtle is unnoticable and certainly doesn't impact vision. When it's bright they let in about 70-75% of light, so they darken enough to take the glare off unless you're riding into a low lying sun on a clear day - they're obviously not as effective as dedicated sunglass lenses in this regard, but they're a good compromise especially if you're commuting to work in daylight then returning in the dark.
  • Hi
    It depends on which photochromic lens you are referencing.

Transitions VI Lenses - are 95% LT ( light transmission ) to 12% ( activated ) in grey and a little less for brown (15%). These are prescription lenses, can come in polycarbonate and fit a wrap frame. As long as your prescription is not too strong. The activation also varies with the amount of UV rays and the temperature. UV makes them dark and warmth / heat is the energy used to change the photochromic molecules back to clear. so depending on the combination of the two is the tint you get. simple!

As stated previously Transitions lenses ( as worn in prescription glasses ) are clear indoors and at night. They transmit up to 95% LT ( light transmission) with an anti reflective coating. They look and function as a clear lens at night and indoors. FYI Regular clear lenses do not transmit 100% LT, it normally around 96% to 98% depending on the material. Polycarbonate does block a little more light than other types of lens material.

So if you need a prescription the optical store can ask Oakley to fit transitions lenses into your frame and add an iridium coating if required. The iridium coating cuts out a little more light but looks and performs better when activated. Coating options are clear black iridium, emerald and gold. I like the first option personally.

Transitions Optical also sells non-prescription lenses to Oakley for use in the Jawbone, Flak Jacket, Fast Jacket, Split Jacket. They offer a few different lenses depending on the model but all are Dark to Darker. the clearest is called "clear black iridium" its transitions technology plus an iridium coating so about 70% LT down to 15% when activated. Also available are VR50, Black Persimmon Iridium, G40 and Light Grey ( might be discontinued). These are all dark to darker photochromic lenses and designed for outdoor / daylight use.

The Garmin Transitions Pro Team in 2010 and 2011 mostly wore Oakley Transitions Clear Black Iridium.

Similar story with Rudy Project and the Impact X products, plus you can fit Transitions prescription into Rudy Project also.

nearly all the non-prescription sunglass lenses are dark to darker. so not totally clear.

and yes i think they are awesome for riding... they don't instantly change ( activation 35 seconds to 25% LT & fade back 5 mins to 70% LT from full activation, but constantly adapt so you don't really notice the small micro changes the lenses are making.

hope some of that makes sense.
  • apreading wrote:
    I have Transitions lenses in my Oakleys and they start 100% clear and then darken depending on the light. If it goes dark when I'm out they go back to 100% clear.

No - they dont...!

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... ion-lenses

Oh yes they do!!!!!,

Mine are NOT Oakley lenses they are standard Transition lenses which were put in by my optician are clear, they are the same ones I have in my regular non cycling prescription glasses.

http://gb.transitions.com/experience/TransitionsCORE.aspx#features
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Hi
    It depends on which photochromic lens you are referencing.

Transitions VI Lenses - are 95% LT ( light transmission ) to 12% ( activated ) in grey and a little less for brown (15%). These are prescription lenses, can come in polycarbonate and fit a wrap frame. As long as your prescription is not too strong. The activation also varies with the amount of UV rays and the temperature. UV makes them dark and warmth / heat is the energy used to change the photochromic molecules back to clear. so depending on the combination of the two is the tint you get. simple!

As stated previously Transitions lenses ( as worn in prescription glasses ) are clear indoors and at night. They transmit up to 95% LT ( light transmission) with an anti reflective coating. They look and function as a clear lens at night and indoors. FYI Regular clear lenses do not transmit 100% LT, it normally around 96% to 98% depending on the material. Polycarbonate does block a little more light than other types of lens material.

So if you need a prescription the optical store can ask Oakley to fit transitions lenses into your frame and add an iridium coating if required. The iridium coating cuts out a little more light but looks and performs better when activated. Coating options are clear black iridium, emerald and gold. I like the first option personally.

Transitions Optical also sells non-prescription lenses to Oakley for use in the Jawbone, Flak Jacket, Fast Jacket, Split Jacket. They offer a few different lenses depending on the model but all are Dark to Darker. the clearest is called "clear black iridium" its transitions technology plus an iridium coating so about 70% LT down to 15% when activated. Also available are VR50, Black Persimmon Iridium, G40 and Light Grey ( might be discontinued). These are all dark to darker photochromic lenses and designed for outdoor / daylight use.

The Garmin Transitions Pro Team in 2010 and 2011 mostly wore Oakley Transitions Clear Black Iridium.

Similar story with Rudy Project and the Impact X products, plus you can fit Transitions prescription into Rudy Project also.

nearly all the non-prescription sunglass lenses are dark to darker. so not totally clear.

and yes i think they are awesome for riding... they don't instantly change ( activation 35 seconds to 25% LT & fade back 5 mins to 70% LT from full activation, but constantly adapt so you don't really notice the small micro changes the lenses are making.

hope some of that makes sense.

+1 to all the above. After working in an opticians for nearly 9 years I can tell you the above is all good info
    One for the road.....
    The beer not the bike!
    FCN 11

http://app.strava.com/athletes/399251