Dan Hallty - Warning!!

nick300zx
nick300zx Posts: 219
I'm not sure if that is his user name on here but someone of that name responded by email to my request for a Campag shifter in the wanted section.
He said he had a spare in his parts bin so I took a gamble and sent him £20 by PalPal gift!
He then corresponded with me by email on Thursday about receiving the funds, saying that he would send it out asap and general chat about other things.
I sent an email today to see if the part was posted and received a reply saying that someone had hacked his paypal and email accounts and it wasn't him that had been in contact with me!
Now it seems like a genuine email and he reckons that he will refund me. (watch this space) I'm not overly worried about £20, I wouldn't have risked a bigger sum by gift to someone I'd not used before or that had not been given decent feedback here. I'm posting this as a warning in case anyone has been or is contacted in the same way.

Nick

Comments

• Just realised that 'feed back' is a swear word when joined up?? weird.
  • He has come up on Singletrack world - whole thread on there http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... lassifieds
  • djsoftware wrote:
    He has come up on Singletrack world - whole thread on there http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... lassifieds

Yep I saw that. Looks like I wasn't the only mug :?

Just as an update I managed to get a refund from him however paypal have put funds on hold pending an investigation. Not sure if the guy was genuine and his account was hacked or he just got scared after all the threats of police involvement.

Definitely has made me more wary of using 'gift' on here again.
  • bluedoggy
    bluedoggy Posts: 284
    This guy emailed me direct to. I placed a wanted ad for some Sram X9 shifters. He contacted me with actual photo's. Bargain price of £25!! It sounded too good to be true...and it was. He was very aloof at giving info about him and the shifters. He even said he's at the post office with them ready to post.
    Then i got another email from a different guy saying he was the 'Proper' guy.
    Good lesson. Makes me very cautious.
    Wilier cento uno.