Waterproof jacket

Poppysdad
Poppysdad Posts: 25
edited January 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi guys could you recommend a good waterproof jacket for around £130 . Cheers Rob

Comments

• omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    what will you be using the jacket for ? apart from staying dry
  • Commuting and weekend trails . Thanks Rob
  • For that kind of money the Endura Venturi is an awesome jacket i've had mine for 18 months, PTFE membrane is pretty much the same as eVent fabric but works better in my opinion and plenty of venting options.

Your going to get damp to wet when pushing on the pedals whatever you buy due to condensation but the more breathable you buy your in the damp region as oppossed to cheap jacket boil in the bag that makes it pointless even wearing it.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • Altura Night vision Evo - excellent
  • Mark909
    Mark909 Posts: 456
    Not bike specific but paramo make waterproof and very breathable jackets.
  • Thanks all is the altura mayhem any good ?
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    Can't fault my Night Vision Evo, Probably my best purchase mtb wise :)
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Stu Coops has it right about the breathability ( I can't comment on the particular material but eVent is pretty good).

High-spec fabrics (polartec neoshell, eVent, gore tex active shell, etc) are significantly better than cheaper materials.

However they still get swamped by my commute. Most of the time, whether cycling, running or hillwalking - all at similar levels of exertion, I tend to go for a thin pertex windproof and a baselayer as being more comfortable unless it is really chucking it down. Because I commute in all weather by bike (20,000 miles so far) I do have an eVent jacket because it is a lot more comfortable in heavy rain.

Off the bike I use paramo a lot, but it is warm (see here for a bikeradar review of thewomen's version of the Velez smock)

For full on winter or cold and wet, I find Paramo great and it lasts; over the last 20 years have been significantly drier in it than many friends in more conventional systems (gore tex etc). In fact the trousers are still the same pair and have seen heavy use, I last used them at the beginning of this month in Snowdonia. I did get a new jacket about 4-years ago as I wanted something lighter with more venting (the Velez).
  • Thanks all so much to choose from so needed a bit of advice . Cheers again Rob
  • I've got the Paramo womens adventure smock light and its a fantastic piece of kit. I wear it on my bike, for walking etc. It is fantastic Jacket and I got it for £99.00, a hundred quid off!. It was from the paramo seconds shop on Ebay.I couldnt see anything wrong with it.
    Plus its a bit longer in the back and covers that spot at the base of your spine that can get chilled through.I would recommend one for the winter/autumn riding with a base layer.It will be too hot in the summer.
    Its also definatley waterpoof.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I have the road version of this
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/mavic-mavic-jackets-cycle-mavic-stratos-h2o-jacket/mavizjac245
    Just a touch over what you asked, but at 1/2 price, I reckon it's a steal.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Endura flyte here, another ptfe jacket. I recommend merino base layers too, helps with the condensation effect.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I've got the Paramo womens adventure smock light and its a fantastic piece of kit. I wear it on my bike, for walking etc. It is fantastic Jacket and I got it for £99.00, a hundred quid off!. It was from the paramo seconds shop on Ebay.I couldnt see anything wrong with it.
    Plus its a bit longer in the back and covers that spot at the base of your spine that can get chilled through.I would recommend one for the winter/autumn riding with a base layer.It will be too hot in the summer.
    Its also definatley waterpoof.

You have nailed the problem I have with paramo, in that it is too hot for my bike most of the time.

The smocks do vent well and I have been bone dry in situations where my friends in expensive gortetex have been pretty damp.

I use mine as a windproof softshell that happens to be waterproof - you do need to think about what to wear with is as it adds about the equivalent of a 100-weight fleece insulation.

A good baselayer is also worthwhile. For the last year I have been using a Rab MeCo one that has pretty good odour control as well as decent wicking. Some do get unpleasantly smelly pretty quickly.
  • Thanks all I went for the Mayhem jacket and it's great I would say its the best jacket I've had .