New roadie

tetley10
tetley10 Posts: 693
edited December 2012 in Road beginners
Just picked up my new Cube Peloton. Step up fom the old Peugeot Mtb I've been using.

Comments

• tetley10
    edited December 2012
    Not sure how to post a picture of it.

Cracked it.
  • Tetley10 wrote:
    Just picked up my new Cube Peloton. Step up fom the old Peugeot Mtb I've been using.

Nice bike. I'm not sure how to post up pictures either :oops:
    But welcome to the mad house :lol:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • tetley10
    Yeah been following the forums since I put my order in. Will try and sort out a picture of it.
  • Nice bike! Congrats on joining the club.

I would mention that, as a fellow white-bike rider, to keep some kind of towelly item to wipe off the muck after wet rides. As with anything white they get mucky quick.

The consolation is they look much sexier when they are sparkling than any other colour i've seen ;).
    Hills are like half life - they wait until you're 50% recovered from one before hitting you in the face with the next.

http://www.pedalmash.co.uk/
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,590
    I'm not sure how to post up pictures either :oops:
    It's not difficult

Essentially, post your photo somewhere on the interweb, then use the 'Img' button to post the link. Hey presto, your photo appears.
  • Welcome :)

Got any Lycra yet :lol:
  • I'm not sure how to post up pictures either :oops:
    It's not difficult

Essentially, post your photo somewhere on the interweb, then use the 'Img' button to post the link. Hey presto, your photo appears.

Thanks Brian. :)
  • tetley10
    No lycra yet. Im off to get some tonight as me ar@e is in bits after the ride yesterday :wink:.
    No padding on my shorts.
  • tetley10
    Nice bike! Congrats on joining the club.

I would mention that, as a fellow white-bike rider, to keep some kind of towelly item to wipe off the muck after wet rides. As with anything white they get mucky quick.

The consolation is they look much sexier when they are sparkling than any other colour i've seen ;).

Find myself ogling bikes all the time now. Take it that's normal behaviour?
  • Tetley10 wrote:

'fraid so :)
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Tetley10 wrote:

Indeed it is. I must be getting old as I seem to spend more time ogling bikes than women's bottoms these days.
  • tetley10
    lotus49 wrote:
    Tetley10 wrote:

Indeed it is. I must be getting old as I seem to spend more time ogling bikes than women's bottoms these days.

Even better if you can do both at the same time I reckon.

• I would mention that, as a fellow white-bike rider, to keep some kind of towelly item to wipe off the muck after wet rides. As with anything white they get mucky quick.
    Baby wipes are good at cleaning bikes
  • tetley10
    Rode the bike to work today. Thought i'd start as i mean to go on. Felt much better than Monday. Wore the lycra padded shorts made some difference but I take it the seats on a roadbike take a bit of time to get used to.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    It's not difficult

Never worked for me.

I have to resort to copy and paste the picture file path from my Flikr page without the IMG things (even though the guide on here states otherwise).

So actually it seems quite hard.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • tetley10
    smidsy wrote:
    It's not difficult

Never worked for me.

I have to resort to copy and paste the picture file path from my Flikr page without the IMG things (even though the guide on here states otherwise).

So actually it seems quite hard.

Ill try another one. It says the size of file is too large when I've tried it before.
  • tetley10
    6 miles this morning. First time out in the dry.
    Got the Lycra shorts with a pad in them but still struggling with the seat. What difference does tilting it forward make?
  • damov2
    damov2 Posts: 66
    Tetley10 wrote:
    Got the Lycra shorts with a pad in them but still struggling with the seat. What difference does tilting it forward make?

Just give it time & miles, the cheeks will soon get used to it :D
  • Tetley10 wrote:

Other than extremes of fore/aft and tilting, you should not expect to attain basic comfort from your saddle position. 'Road' saddles tend to be harder (for support) and have smaller surface area than 'leisure' saddles. This is partly to work with padded shorts, but nevertheless they do indeed take some getting used to. If after a good few miles you still aren't comfortable, you should look to your shorts and saddle choices first and the positioning second; again with reference to the caveat given in my opening sentence.

Tilting it forward a little could relieve pressure I suppose but as a rule having it level is likely to be most appropriate. Speaking from bitter experience (did not tighten seatpost bolts enough once and only had a multispanner!), having it tilted backwards is not a good idea at all.
  • Tetley10 wrote:

Sit bones take a little while to get used to it tetley... From personal experience don't start fiddling with the seat too much you will end up moving it up / down / forward / backwards / upwards / downwards lol and never get it back to a comfortable position !
  • tetley10
    damov2 wrote:
    Tetley10 wrote:

Just give it time & miles, the cheeks will soon get used to it :D

It's not the cheeks that are the problem :oops: It's the old spuds that are the issue.
  • Well, your lycras need to be tight or get a good tight boxers. Then move it all up and away from the contact zone ....... stops a general androgynous look to your entrance at home/cafe etc. as well.
  • tetley10
    Well, your lycras need to be tight or get a good tight boxers. Then move it all up and away from the contact zone ....... stops a general androgynous look to your entrance at home/cafe etc. as well.

Will try that thanks. Get the love spuds rights out the way.

The rest of the bike is excellent. Do love the way it makes hill climbing easier.
  • tetley10
    Well, your lycras need to be tight or get a good tight boxers. Then move it all up and away from the contact zone ....... stops a general androgynous look to your entrance at home/cafe etc. as well.

Cheers for this. Pulled the wedding veg right up and away today. Much much better, no aggravation at all this morning.
    Did have my first experience of riding into a headwind and some short sharp climbs.
  • damov2
    damov2 Posts: 66
    Tetley10 wrote:

Cheers for this. Pulled the wedding veg right up and away today. Much much better, no aggravation at all this morning.
    Did have my first experience of riding into a headwind and some short sharp climbs.

The dreaded uphill headwind, it was so strong today I had to peddle hard downhill at times, still glad I decided to go out!
  • tetley10
    damov2 wrote:
    Tetley10 wrote:

The dreaded uphill headwind, it was so strong today I had to peddle hard downhill at times, still glad I decided to go out!

Yeah you're not wrong. First few times I've been out its been wet but quite calm. Today though it was windy and most of the time I felt like I was riding into it. Still I'm glad I went out an all. This cycling business has very much got under my skin.